LSAC has eliminated the 3 max takes in 2 years rule Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Is this a good idea?

Yes
37%
No
30%
No, and I'm jealous
33%

Total votes: 67

shotgunheist

Bronze

LSAC has eliminated the 3 max takes in 2 years rule

Post by shotgunheist » Tue May 16, 2017 11:16 am

albanach

Gold

Re: LSAC has eliminated the 3 max takes in 2 years rule

Post by albanach » Tue May 16, 2017 11:19 am

shotgunheist wrote: Thoughts?
Restricting the number of times you can take the test places an artificial limit on revenue for LSAC.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Tue May 16, 2017 11:20 am

albanach wrote:
shotgunheist wrote: Thoughts?
Restricting the number of times you can take the test places an artificial limit on revenue for LSAC.

Good thing Harvard can now stick it to the man by using the GRE

/s

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Tue May 16, 2017 11:23 am

But for real, I'm curious if this would create a larger socio-economic gap. Is there a limit that someone low income could take it due to money restrictions?

Aristogeiton1

New

Post by Aristogeiton1 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:25 am

Honestly, I don't think this will make that much of a difference, outside of an increase in low-scorers with more (of their parents') money to blow.
I don't see the point in them doing this, but I take no issue with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue May 16, 2017 11:36 am

Increases odds of someone getting lucky with a. Good score. So bad for splitters.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:39 am

Considering how few people retake the test, let alone retake twice or more, I don't think this will make much of a difference.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue May 16, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm assuming they are changing because the much friendlier GRE is going to eat their lunch.

Also, if reports are to be believed, their test isn't better at predicting success which I find hilarious. There isn't much justification for keeping the LSAT other than habit.

They have only themselves and their antiquated methods to blame for their demise. I know I'm premature but I strongly dislike LSAC and their arrogance with their now ended monopoly.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Tue May 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Npret wrote:now ended monopoly.
still have applications on lock. I don't see their GPA processing being done away with, so the monopoly continues in that sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue May 16, 2017 12:27 pm

guybourdin wrote:
still have applications on lock. I don't see their GPA processing being done away with, so the monopoly continues in that sense.
Oh true. Though it would be great for a competitor to come in now LSAC doesn't have the only admissions test. I wonder how hard it is to get into the credential assembly/ law school accountability business.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Tue May 16, 2017 12:32 pm

Npret wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Oh true. Though it would be great for a competitor to come in now LSAC doesn't have the only admissions test. I wonder how hard it is to get into the credential assembly/ law school accountability business.
They would need to get accredited with the ABA in order to do that, right? I don't see it happening. the centralized law school admissions process is incredible! If it could be $50 cheaper, sure, $50 matters to a lot of people, but the time we save compared to other professional or graduate schools is worth so much more than that. Having talked to people about applying to law school before CAS and having applied to other graduate programs myself, I'll go ahead and shill pretty hard LSAC in that regard. I mean, can you imagine trying to coordinate with busy professors/law firm partners sending 3 LORs to a dozen schools and then needing to reapply the following year? take my money, please.

theboringest

Bronze

Post by theboringest » Tue May 16, 2017 12:35 pm

Step 1 of LSAC attempting to head off their elimination at the hands of the GRE.

Impressionist

Bronze

Post by Impressionist » Tue May 16, 2017 2:09 pm

Never understood why this seemingly arbitrary restriction existed in the first place. I'm all for it and don't think it will have a very large impact on the overall numbers, though I could be proven wrong. Just hope it doesn't create many more 170+s this cycle than there otherwise would have been...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Tue May 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Count me as a firm believer that an uptick in high scores will be minimal if at all extant. I just don't see how allowing someone to take the LSAT 4 times instead of 3 is going to facilitate a 160s scorer suddenly becoming a 170s scorer. Maybe more folks will take it instead of the GRE, especially math averse folks? A bit more money for LSAC in the grand scheme of things is about the only outcome I can reasonably foresee.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Tue May 16, 2017 2:38 pm

AJordan wrote:Count me as a firm believer that an uptick in high scores will be minimal if at all extant. I just don't see how allowing someone to take the LSAT 4 times instead of 3 is going to facilitate a 160s scorer suddenly becoming a 170s scorer. Maybe more folks will take it instead of the GRE, especially math averse folks? A bit more money for LSAC in the grand scheme of things is about the only outcome I can reasonably foresee.
+1. Hope you're correct

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Tue May 16, 2017 2:39 pm

This seems bad to me. This favors people who can afford to retake forever, doesn't it?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue May 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:This seems bad to me. This favors people who can afford to retake forever, doesn't it?
I think the only groups it could be bad for are mid-low 160s scorers and splitters.

There will be almost no one that has to take this thing 4-5+ times and finally ends up with a 170 (there's a reason 170+ is such a difficult score to achieve, and I don't think it's that people don't get enough takes). If someone is going to score on the high side, the vast majority of the time it is because they prepped well and knew what they were doing - not because they just took a million takes and finally got 'lucky'.

If anything, I think it will make scholarships harder to get for splitters in the T40 range, and will inflate the number of 'competitive' applicants in that pool.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Tue May 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:This seems bad to me. This favors people who can afford to retake forever, doesn't it?
The fact that the LSAT is a highly learnable test already favors those who can devote the resources to studying. I don't care how many times you can actually take the test considering its the work you put in before the test that matters - simply being able to afford taking the test 4-5 times (which isn't a 1k commitment) doesn't matter when you're competing with people who can study 30, 40 hrs/wk for 4+ months. That's how money gets you the results - by being able to afford the prep work.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Tue May 16, 2017 3:30 pm

finally ending the excuse for people on this fora who won't lie and say "i can't retake because i've maxed out on tries"

VeiledProtectorate

New

Post by VeiledProtectorate » Tue May 16, 2017 3:33 pm

AJordan wrote:Count me as a firm believer that an uptick in high scores will be minimal if at all extant. I just don't see how allowing someone to take the LSAT 4 times instead of 3 is going to facilitate a 160s scorer suddenly becoming a 170s scorer. Maybe more folks will take it instead of the GRE, especially math averse folks? A bit more money for LSAC in the grand scheme of things is about the only outcome I can reasonably foresee.
Agreed. If someone has taken the test three times in two years without overhauling their studying, I see no reason to believe they'll do so for their fourth take in two years.

shinydunsparce

New

Post by shinydunsparce » Tue May 16, 2017 4:18 pm

How does this affect those who have already taken the test multiple times? I'm planning on taking for the third time in June, so does this mean if I need to retake in September again I can?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue May 16, 2017 4:58 pm

shinydunsparce wrote:How does this affect those who have already taken the test multiple times? I'm planning on taking for the third time in June, so does this mean if I need to retake in September again I can?
Seems to be the case.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue May 16, 2017 6:34 pm

Any one else think that this signals the beginning of much more impactful changes from LSAC, including maybe the possibility to select which scores to send to schools?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue May 16, 2017 6:44 pm

Platopus wrote:Any one else think that this signals the beginning of much more impactful changes from LSAC, including maybe the possibility to select which scores to send to schools?
Not sure that's that impactful.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue May 16, 2017 6:48 pm

Rigo wrote:
Platopus wrote:Any one else think that this signals the beginning of much more impactful changes from LSAC, including maybe the possibility to select which scores to send to schools?
Not sure that's that impactful.
IdK being able to take 8 times in 2 years and only send them that final 174 seems like a big deal.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”