Updating personal statement?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Shangrilala

New

Updating personal statement?

Postby Shangrilala » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:56 am

Hi,

I found people update resume and transcript, but what about personal statement and diversity statement?
When I asked adcom rep, they said they accept updated ver...can I update them or it would affect their decision?

Thanks,

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Updating personal statement?

Postby UVA2B » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:10 am

What are you updating about your PS? I can't imagine how you could so substantially improve it as to change a decision. And if you found some topic that was markedly better, why didn't you write about that to begin with?

B90

Silver

Postby B90 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:41 pm

"Updated PS" = you submitted a copy that contained typos and you want to send an edited version that is typo-free.
If an adcom told you they will "accept an updated PS," this is likely what the adcom thinks you want to do.

No, you shouldn't send a new PS that is actually a rewritten version of your original. Of course they will "accept" it.
Will it affect their decision? Yes, the same way your original PS will affect their decision. If you have a 4.0/180 you can write just about anything for a PS (as long as it's not offensive) and it won't hurt you; if you have a 2.0/135, there is pretty much nothing you can say in your PS that will help you.

tl/dr: You are overthinking this. Unless your PS contains one or more SIGNIFICANT typos (i.e. you misrepresented your GPA), don't do anything.

Shangrilala

New

Postby Shangrilala » Mon May 01, 2017 9:00 am

Thanks both.
I wanted to update because after submitting my PS for some schools I still have not heard back yet...and I kept improving my PS so I thought I wanted to update it.

B90

Silver

Postby B90 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:41 am

Shangrilala wrote:Thanks both.
I wanted to update because after submitting my PS for some schools I still have not heard back yet...and I kept improving my PS so I thought I wanted to update it.

Many have this urge, but it must be resisted.
Consider it practice for your 2-3 month wait for bar exam results.

In the meantime, I recommend that you stop improving your PS (unless this actually helps calm you, then edit away) and try to relax and enjoy your 0L experience. Take a walk, read a book, play sports, whatever you enjoy.

It is out of your hands right now. It's unnerving, but you there isn't really anything you can DO to speed things along.

If you feel you must do SOMETHING to "prepare" for law school, the one thing I do recommend is working on typing speed and accuracy. This will serve you well come exam time.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�