Thank You Gifts Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
smilingorch

New

Thank You Gifts

Post by smilingorch » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:35 pm

I got one of my LOR writers a nice, engraved pen with a refill for a thank you gift after she wrote my LOR. The other one I never got anything, but sent a follow up email thanking her after she emailed me telling me she wrote it (expecting to get her something once I had news).

I'm thinking of getting them both something now that I've gotten into law school, but I'm wondering if something branded is too much? Like, having a CLS something or other in their office would be overkill. I've been in their offices before and never saw any other college paraphernalia, but I'm sure this isn't their first time writing LORs.

What do you all think? Just buy a nice pen for the one I never got a gift, send a card to both with my destination and thanks or get both something...and if so, what? Curious what, if anything, others are giving.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Thank You Gifts

Post by Rigo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:40 pm

I just did hand written thank you cards. No need to go nuts.

lawlzzz

New

Post by lawlzzz » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:48 pm

I didn't give gifts and don't think they're really necessary. If you really want to, though, I'm sure they'd be pleasantly surprised with a small thoughtful gift. Nothing too expensive of course. Maybe a Starbucks or Coffee Bean gift card? :D

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:49 pm

i just sent a handwritten note to their office. im sure they appreciate whatever, but i dont think it's required.

smilingorch

New

Post by smilingorch » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:53 pm

sweet. Just thought I'd be sure.
I got the first one the engraved pen because she was my professor for all of undergrad and even arranged a surprise party for my 18th bday which I spent in class. I hadn't kept in touch in the years since graduating so thought it would be nice.

The other professor I only knew for 1 semester which is why I'd only sent an email so far...

Guess I'll just follow up with an email for the one I already got a gift and a handwritten card for the other.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

meeseeks

Silver

Post by meeseeks » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:57 pm

I was planning to give coffee mugs to my two professors. I figured they could always take it home if they don't want it in the office. Plus who doesn't want more mugs

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:24 pm

I got one of mine a Book of Mormon in Mandarin. BOM like the religious book, not like the Stone/Parker play. Neither of us is Mormon or Chinese. It was greatly appreciated.

smilingorch

New

Post by smilingorch » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:30 pm

bitter_melon wrote:I got one of mine a Book of Mormon in Mandarin. BOM like the religious book, not like the Stone/Parker play. Neither of us is Mormon or Chinese. It was greatly appreciated.
LOL what :lol: this legitimately made me chuckle. Anyway, one of them was my Chinese professor, so if I got that for her she may very well read it and then expect to have an in-depth conversation about it later on

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:34 pm

smilingorch wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:I got one of mine a Book of Mormon in Mandarin. BOM like the religious book, not like the Stone/Parker play. Neither of us is Mormon or Chinese. It was greatly appreciated.
LOL what :lol: this legitimately made me chuckle. Anyway, one of them was my Chinese professor, so if I got that for her she may very well read it and then expect to have an in-depth conversation about it later on
It was a real gamble, he's somewhat religious Jewish so I wasn't sure where it would fall on the line between comedic/heartfelt and offensive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:07 pm

bitter_melon wrote:
smilingorch wrote:
It was a real gamble, he's somewhat religious Jewish so I wasn't sure where it would fall on the line between comedic/heartfelt and offensive.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
First, your user name and the thread tile combo already made me laugh.
If law doesn't work out for you, have you considered comedic writing (i.e. short shories)?

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:56 pm

B90 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
smilingorch wrote:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
First, your user name and the thread tile combo already made me laugh.
If law doesn't work out for you, have you considered comedic writing (i.e. short shories)?
I actually have dozens of short stories, some erotic, posted all over the internet under a variety of different usernames.

loser

New

Post by loser » Mon May 01, 2017 10:37 am

I gave mine a handjob

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”