Helpfulness of LSAC Weighted 4.0+ GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
btermite

New

Helpfulness of LSAC Weighted 4.0+ GPA

Postby btermite » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:23 pm

I've been lurking on here for quite a while, finally have decided to make an account. Thanks in advance to whoever can help answer my question, this forum has been immensely useful.

Although my college does not weigh A+'s any differently than an A, I have seen that LSAC does.

I am planning to apply in the Fall 2017, and as it stands now I have a weighted 4.07 with the LSAC scale, and a 4.0 without.
With a bit of extra work in this upcoming term, I could possibly end up at a 4.1 weighted.

Basically I am just trying to get an idea of how to figure my GPA in when calculating my LSAT score goal. Does this have any type of impact as compared to a 4.0?
Also, is it worth the extra effort to try to get 2 more A+'s to raise up to a 4.1?

Thanks for any help!

Mullens

Silver

Re: Helpfulness of LSAC Weighted 4.0+ GPA

Postby Mullens » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:27 pm

btermite wrote:I've been lurking on here for quite a while, finally have decided to make an account. Thanks in advance to whoever can help answer my question, this forum has been immensely useful.

Although my college does not weigh A+'s any differently than an A, I have seen that LSAC does.

I am planning to apply in the Fall 2017, and as it stands now I have a weighted 4.07 with the LSAC scale, and a 4.0 without.
With a bit of extra work in this upcoming term, I could possibly end up at a 4.1 weighted.

Basically I am just trying to get an idea of how to figure my GPA in when calculating my LSAT score goal. Does this have any type of impact as compared to a 4.0?
Also, is it worth the extra effort to try to get 2 more A+'s to raise up to a 4.1?

Thanks for any help!

There is no difference between a 4.0 and a 4.1. Both are over every school's 75th.

Don't try to calculate an LSAT score goal based on your GPA. You need to look at the LSAT medians of the schools you want to attend and try to score higher. Don't sell yourself short.

jpark86

New

Postby jpark86 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:30 pm

First of all, congrats on getting/maintaing such a stellar GPA!

If you check LSN and other data points, you will be way over the median and perhaps even 75% of most if not all T-14s with a 4.0.... you're already there so i'd say focus on getting a good LSAT score! your application process would get more difficult if schools see a very high GPA but peculiarly low LSAT score

btermite

New

Postby btermite » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks for both responses, that's really good to know. I will definitely spend more time on LSAT studying than trying to get A+'s.

Basically I would like to be competitive at HYS (although not particularly interested in S) or possibly have a shot at a Hamilton/Ruby/other type of money at CCN or Penn.

I'm planning on taking LSAT in September, have been studying for about a month now.

From what I've seen, it seems like a 170 is about the bare minimum I would need.
Would a 175 be a better goal for something such as a Ruby or Hamilton?

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:16 am

btermite wrote:Would a 175 be a better goal for something such as a Ruby or Hamilton?

Yes. The goal should be 180 obvs, but Hamiltons start around 174+ if non-URM.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�