Admissions advice! Splitter status* Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hunter222

New

Admissions advice! Splitter status*

Post by hunter222 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:56 pm

As a student with a 3.02 UGPA and LSAT score of 175, I have seen very conflicting information on my chances at acceptance to a top law school because of my unfortunately low UGPA. What "level" of school so to speak should I consider to be a reasonable target? Reach? Safety?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by hunter222 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alpal29

New

Re: Admissions advice!

Post by Alpal29 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:03 pm

You have no reasonable target. Super splitters have crazy cycles, you could get money at a lower T13 or you could completely strike out. URM status and work experience can also come into play.

Get all the fee waivers you can and then apply to the the entire T14 Sans HYS unless you're really into it. Then apply to the regional schools in the area you want to live.

hunter222

New

Re: Admissions advice!

Post by hunter222 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:27 pm

Alpal29 wrote:You have no reasonable target. Super splitters have crazy cycles, you could get money at a lower T13 or you could completely strike out. URM status and work experience can also come into play.

Get all the fee waivers you can and then apply to the the entire T14 Sans HYS unless you're really into it. Then apply to the regional schools in the area you want to live.
Casting a wide net does seem to be the general consensus, at this point Im simply trying to maximize my chances at a T13. Thanks for the advice!

Kopetz

Bronze

Re: Admissions advice! Splitter status*

Post by Kopetz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:40 pm

I have almost the same GPA and we're in the same LSAT bracket. I blanketed the T13/14, plus Texas, UCLA, Vandy, WUSTL, and then a handful of safeties in places I have roots. Everything WUSTL and down accepted me with money -- WUSTL with big money. In at Vandy, Georgetown, and Northwestern with $ (30k, 45k, and 30k for Vandy, GULC, and NU respectively.) Rejections at Cornell, Berkeley, Chicago, Stanford, and Yale. Waitlisted at Texas and the rest of the T13/14.

However, splitter cycles are notoriously unpredictable. This is apparently a downcycle/countercycle (is this a countercycle guys??) which may have improved my outcomes. I've also got some distance between myself and my GPA with decent softs in the interim. There may also be a lot of waitlist activity this summer.

If you can afford it, I recommend casting a very wide net and investing the time to specialize applications at schools that expect it (YHS, Berkeley, Michigan) and any schools that are more important to you. Make sure your application is otherwise in top shape and apply as early as you can.

hunter222

New

Post by hunter222 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Kopetz wrote:I have almost the same GPA and we're in the same LSAT bracket. I blanketed the T13/14, plus Texas, UCLA, Vandy, WUSTL, and then a handful of safeties in places I have roots. Everything WUSTL and down accepted me with money -- WUSTL with big money. In at Vandy, Georgetown, and Northwestern with $ (30k, 45k, and 30k for Vandy, GULC, and NU respectively.) Rejections at Cornell, Berkeley, Chicago, Stanford, and Yale. Waitlisted at Texas and the rest of the T13/14.

However, splitter cycles are notoriously unpredictable. This is apparently a downcycle/countercycle (is this a countercycle guys??) which may have improved my outcomes. I've also got some distance between myself and my GPA with decent softs in the interim. There may also be a lot of waitlist activity this summer.

If you can afford it, I recommend casting a very wide net and investing the time to specialize applications at schools that expect it (YHS, Berkeley, Michigan) and any schools that are more important to you. Make sure your application is otherwise in top shape and apply as early as you can.
I appreciate the advice. I would be happy with WashU, Vandy, Northwestern, etc. so its good to know that you had success with those schools. Hopefully I can replicate your results, unfortunately I lack the distance between my GPA as I will be graduating next spring.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

enoca

Bronze

Post by enoca » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:07 am

Apply early.

Greenteachurro

Silver

Post by Greenteachurro » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:47 am

hunter222 wrote:
Kopetz wrote:I have almost the same GPA and we're in the same LSAT bracket. I blanketed the T13/14, plus Texas, UCLA, Vandy, WUSTL, and then a handful of safeties in places I have roots. Everything WUSTL and down accepted me with money -- WUSTL with big money. In at Vandy, Georgetown, and Northwestern with $ (30k, 45k, and 30k for Vandy, GULC, and NU respectively.) Rejections at Cornell, Berkeley, Chicago, Stanford, and Yale. Waitlisted at Texas and the rest of the T13/14.

I appreciate the advice. I would be happy with WashU, Vandy, Northwestern, etc. so its good to know that you had success with those schools. Hopefully I can replicate your results, unfortunately I lack the distance between my GPA as I will be graduating next spring.
You have like an entire year to boost your GPA, you might as well load up on the easiest POS classes you can find for a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”