LOR Advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlbertParsons

New

LOR Advice

Postby AlbertParsons » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:55 pm

I'm about 5 years out from undergrad and don't have much of a connection to many of my professors. I am going to have my supervisor write one of my letters of rec and was going to have one of my then TA's with whom I've had an on going relationship (I've helped out with an oral history project and took 3 classes he TA'd in). He's now a professor at a state university, but was not a professor when I was a student. Bad idea, or should I just bite the bullet and reach out to old professors?

lnsl123

Bronze

Re: LOR Advice

Postby lnsl123 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:02 pm

AlbertParsons wrote:I'm about 5 years out from undergrad and don't have much of a connection to many of my professors. I am going to have my supervisor write one of my letters of rec and was going to have one of my then TA's with whom I've had an on going relationship (I've helped out with an oral history project and took 3 classes he TA'd in). He's now a professor at a state university, but was not a professor when I was a student. Bad idea, or should I just bite the bullet and reach out to old professors?

That sounds like a great idea. Generally it's better to have LORs from people who know you well. I had no LORs from any professors because I like you was 5 years out when I applied. I asked admissions people directly and they understand that getting LORs from professors after being removed from undergrad is understandable.

AlbertParsons

New

Re: LOR Advice

Postby AlbertParsons » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:50 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
AlbertParsons wrote:I'm about 5 years out from undergrad and don't have much of a connection to many of my professors. I am going to have my supervisor write one of my letters of rec and was going to have one of my then TA's with whom I've had an on going relationship (I've helped out with an oral history project and took 3 classes he TA'd in). He's now a professor at a state university, but was not a professor when I was a student. Bad idea, or should I just bite the bullet and reach out to old professors?

That sounds like a great idea. Generally it's better to have LORs from people who know you well. I had no LORs from any professors because I like you was 5 years out when I applied. I asked admissions people directly and they understand that getting LORs from professors after being removed from undergrad is understandable.

Good to know. Fingers crossed on LORs that come in on time.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�