Pre-law summer opportunity cold calling/emailling?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
berkeleygoogles

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:07 am

Pre-law summer opportunity cold calling/emailling?

Postby berkeleygoogles » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:05 pm

I will be applying in the fall as a KJD. I want to find some sort of law related summer internship/volunteer experience as all my experience so far has been non-law related. I've been looking at public interest groups and local government opportunities but I'd really like to work at some place like the county DA's office. There aren't really listings for those places, should I just cold call/email them?

Itiswritten

New
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Pre-law summer opportunity cold calling/emailling?

Postby Itiswritten » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:22 pm

berkeleygoogles wrote:I will be applying in the fall as a KJD. I want to find some sort of law related summer internship/volunteer experience as all my experience so far has been non-law related. I've been looking at public interest groups and local government opportunities but I'd really like to work at some place like the county DA's office. There aren't really listings for those places, should I just cold call/email them?


Yep. I turned cold-calling into a 1L SA position. Definitely make the most of the "informational interview".

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Pre-law summer opportunity cold calling/emailling?

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:10 pm

Itiswritten wrote:
berkeleygoogles wrote:I will be applying in the fall as a KJD. I want to find some sort of law related summer internship/volunteer experience as all my experience so far has been non-law related. I've been looking at public interest groups and local government opportunities but I'd really like to work at some place like the county DA's office. There aren't really listings for those places, should I just cold call/email them?


Yep. I turned cold-calling into a 1L SA position. Definitely make the most of the "informational interview".


OP is (unless I'm reading this wrong) referring to a summer position for before starting law school. I'm sure cold-calling helps there, too, but I'm not sure how many places take on summer clerks/secretaries.

Itiswritten

New
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Pre-law summer opportunity cold calling/emailling?

Postby Itiswritten » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:41 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Itiswritten wrote:
berkeleygoogles wrote:I will be applying in the fall as a KJD. I want to find some sort of law related summer internship/volunteer experience as all my experience so far has been non-law related. I've been looking at public interest groups and local government opportunities but I'd really like to work at some place like the county DA's office. There aren't really listings for those places, should I just cold call/email them?


Yep. I turned cold-calling into a 1L SA position. Definitely make the most of the "informational interview".


OP is (unless I'm reading this wrong) referring to a summer position for before starting law school. I'm sure cold-calling helps there, too, but I'm not sure how many places take on summer clerks/secretaries.


Yep, I read OP's post. I turned cold-calling lawyers/firms during the summer preceding my 1L (informational interviews) into relationships that helped me to find job opportunities. I didn't ask for jobs or cold-call to solicit employment, but rather, as a networking tool.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Pre-law summer opportunity cold calling/emailling?

Postby Platopus » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Can't hurt, might as well give it a shot. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 27 guests