Waitlisted @ Dedman- what to do

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hurticulture

New

Waitlisted @ Dedman- what to do

Postby hurticulture » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Just got my waitlist notification from SMU. My other two options are Houston and Lewis and Clark, which both have a seat deposit deadline of 4/15. Is it worth getting on the waitlist? Is it worth getting a deadline extension? Is life worth living anymore? Help me.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Waitlisted @ Dedman- what to do

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:44 pm

Well, do you want to work for a small firm/local government in Texas or a small firm/local government in the Pacific Northwest?

hurticulture

New

Postby hurticulture » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:58 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Well, do you want to work for a small firm/local government in Texas or a small firm/local government in the Pacific Northwest?

Yes. I'm not interested in big law.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:59 pm

hurticulture wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Well, do you want to work for a small firm/local government in Texas or a small firm/local government in the Pacific Northwest?

That was an either/or question, not a litmus test. Where do you want to work? And while we're at it, what's the COA at each school?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:01 pm

hurticulture wrote:

LOL you thought it was a yes or no question

hurticulture

New

Postby hurticulture » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:12 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
hurticulture wrote:

That was an either/or question, not a litmus test. Where do you want to work? And while we're at it, what's the COA at each school?

I understood your intent with the question; I guess the tone of my response didn't translate. I'm open to either. I've lived in TX my whole life. Wouldn't mind staying, wouldn't mind leaving.

I got scholarships from both. Barring rate hikes, COA AT LC would be 15k/y, UH would be 23k/y. I imagine if SMU accepts me, it would be sticker.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:30 pm

So you have almost full rides at L&C and Houston? Or is that how much you are paying in TUITION a year?

Do you live in Houston? Would you be able to live at home and save on living expenses?

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:42 pm

Raised in the PNW. Have a handful of friends practicing law there.

Even though you'd only be paying 45K + COA, I struggle to recommend Lewis and Clark given your situation. The PNW legal scene is small and incestuous as shit. Not saying ties are the be all and end all of the hiring situation back home, but I've heard repeated "which high school you graduate from matters as much if not more than which law school." Just know that's the environment you're trying to crack. Not good.

Now, I'm not saying getting a low-level, low-velocity legal job couldn't be done from Lewis and Clark, but you'd always be an outsider, that "guy from Texas", and perceived as a possible (probable??) flight risk. This is exacerbated by your never ever ever having lived there. If you'd bounced back and forth while growing up and had some distant family in the area...ok. But, no ties at all?? Dude... :D

So, as I see it, it really comes down to UH for you. Problem here is your COA for UH is too damn high. Well over 100K. Yikes.

So, I'm going to just go ahead and say you have zero good/defensible options here. Just the honest truth partner. (That's what you say in TX right?) I'd retake and reapply next year. Try again to get an LSAT that'll bring you $$$$ at SMU/UH (if you want to work in Dallas/Houston respectively) or $$ from UT if you want state-wide portability.
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
hurticulture wrote:

cmon, that response is totally valid. I appreciate it, at least. lol

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:53 pm

guybourdin wrote:
hurticulture wrote:

Upon review, I guess you're right. I think I've just about internalized the "pick a school where you want to practice law" mantra so the correct answer seemed obvious lol

hurticulture

New

Postby hurticulture » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:56 pm

Rigo wrote:So you have almost full rides at L&C and Houston? Or is that how much you are paying in TUITION a year?

Do you live in Houston? Would you be able to live at home and save on living expenses?

I have 28k/y scholarship from LC, and 9k/y scholarship off in state tuition from UH. I am married, so my husband/sugardaddy is taking care of other expenses. I don't live in Houston currently so no matter what, I'm moving.

hurticulture

New

Postby hurticulture » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:57 pm

guybourdin wrote:
hurticulture wrote:

Upon review, I guess you're right. I think I've just about internalized the "pick a school where you want to practice law" mantra so the correct answer seemed obvious lol

If you know the correct answer, let me know! Haha.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:01 pm

hurticulture wrote:
Rigo wrote:So you have almost full rides at L&C and Houston? Or is that how much you are paying in TUITION a year?

I have 28k/y scholarship from LC, and 9k/y scholarship off in state tuition from UH. I am married, so my husband/sugardaddy is taking care of other expenses. I don't live in Houston currently so no matter what, I'm moving.

Is he gonna be able to move with you? Does either state help/affect his employment?

Why would anyone want to be in Houston?

FWIW I have heard the same things about L&C being tight knit.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:03 pm

hurticulture wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
hurticulture wrote:

If you know the correct answer, let me know! Haha.

I wish haha i meant correct answer as in either "small firm/local govt in Texas" or "small firm/local govt in the Northwest." Not Yes or no hahah

hurticulture

New

Postby hurticulture » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:06 pm

zot1 wrote:
hurticulture wrote:

Is he gonna be able to move with you? Does either state help/affect his employment?

He can and will move with me. He's slightly more employable in Texas because of professional registration, but only slightly.

Houston is not our fave place. We visited LC and LOVED Portland. Are you saying L&C is tight knit, or the PNW employment market?

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:08 pm

hurticulture wrote:
zot1 wrote:
hurticulture wrote:

He can and will move with me. He's slightly more employable in Texas because of professional registration, but only slightly.

Houston is not our fave place. We visited LC and LOVED Portland. Are you saying L&C is tight knit, or the PNW employment market?

Sorry, employment market.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:12 pm

I'd just go with your ties and pick Houston over L&C. Houston and Texas in general is just a much bigger market.
Try to negotiate more money out of Houston though.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:17 pm

These are pretty bad options for someone with no connection whatsoever to PNW. It's a small and very competitive market. I think the insularity is exaggerated a little, but the competitiveness is not. Lots of people like it there, and you're at the back of the line if you've lived your entire life in Texas.

At the same time, that's too much money to pay at UH, unless your partner makes like huge dollars (in which case, whatever, just do what you want).

So, get better options. Retake or reapply or something.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:21 pm

who's the guy who was a gunner 0L but now is a suicidal 2L at SMU?

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:24 pm

pancakes3 wrote:who's the guy who was a gunner 0L but now is a suicidal 2L at SMU?

Link.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:59 am

zot1 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:who's the guy who was a gunner 0L but now is a suicidal 2L at SMU?

Link.

Suicidal is hyperbole but he def regrets it.

eagle2a wrote:Don't go to law school unless you're 100% sure practicing law is what you want to do for a considerable period of time. I'm already fucking regretting it

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=265125

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�