Do I have a shot at getting into a T-14

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Booklover

New

Do I have a shot at getting into a T-14

Postby Booklover » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:38 pm

I'm an African-American male at one of the top five liberal arts colleges. I have only have 3.5 GPA, but after freshman year, I did an internship in the Office of the Counselor to the Chief Justice at the Supreme Court. After my sophomore year, I did an internship with the Congressional Black Caucus where I worked in a famous senator's office and attended senate hearings. I was accepted to do another internship with the same senator this upcoming summer. Plus, I've helped one of my political science professors do research. I think I could get the senator whose office I interned in to write a recommendation letter, and I'm close to the political science professor whose research I helped, so I'm certain she will write a good recommendation letter. I'm more interested in politics than I am in advocacy or the judiciary, and I'm not sure if that will work against me. I also did a study abroad immersion program in France last semester where all of my classes were taught in French and I'm very nearly fluent in French at this point. I have yet to take the LSAT, I'm planning to do a course and study over the summer and then take the LSAT early next year (my senior year). Do I have a chance at a T-14?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Re: Do I have a shot at getting into a T-14

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:42 pm

I'm an African-American male at one of the top five liberal arts colleges. I have only have 3.5 GPA, but after freshman year, I did an internship in the Office of the Counselor to the Chief Justice at the Supreme Court. After my sophomore year, I did an internship with the Congressional Black Caucus where I worked in a famous senator's office and attended senate hearings. I was accepted to do another internship with the same senator this upcoming summer. Plus, I've helped one of my political science professors do research. I think I could get the senator whose office I interned in to write a recommendation letter, and I'm close to the political science professor whose research I helped, so I'm certain she will write a good recommendation letter. I'm more interested in politics than I am in advocacy or the judiciary, and I'm not sure if that will work against me. I also did a study abroad immersion program in France last semester where all of my classes were taught in French and I'm very nearly fluent in French at this point. I have yet to take the LSAT, I'm planning to do a course and study over the summer and then take the LSAT early next year (my senior year). Do I have a chance at a T-14?

None of that matters. 3.5 isn't bad and if you raise that to a 3.55 and get a 165+ on the LSAT, you're more than fine.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Get a half decent LSAT and you will be just fine.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:30 pm

Go poke around the URM board. I would imagine an AA male with a 3.5 and a 167 would be overwhelmed with t13 full rides. You may strike out if you only apply to one or two, but if you apply to ten you'll be happy. Keep your gpa up and don't worry about the LSAT for now. Sounds like you'll have to connections and hustle to get a good job out of UG: work for a year or two while you get ready for the LSAT

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Just fyi its T13 now, not T14. Please chance title.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:35 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:I'm an African-American male at one of the top five liberal arts colleges. I have only have 3.5 GPA, but after freshman year, I did an internship in the Office of the Counselor to the Chief Justice at the Supreme Court. After my sophomore year, I did an internship with the Congressional Black Caucus where I worked in a famous senator's office and attended senate hearings. I was accepted to do another internship with the same senator this upcoming summer. Plus, I've helped one of my political science professors do research. I think I could get the senator whose office I interned in to write a recommendation letter, and I'm close to the political science professor whose research I helped, so I'm certain she will write a good recommendation letter. I'm more interested in politics than I am in advocacy or the judiciary, and I'm not sure if that will work against me. I also did a study abroad immersion program in France last semester where all of my classes were taught in French and I'm very nearly fluent in French at this point. I have yet to take the LSAT, I'm planning to do a course and study over the summer and then take the LSAT early next year (my senior year). Do I have a chance at a T-14?

None of that matters. 3.5 isn't bad and if you raise that to a 3.55 and get a 165+ on the LSAT, you're more than fine.

I'll fix this slightly, but otherwise right. LSAT is just as important.

OP. This may look harsh, but it's just the truth. Soft admission factors don't mean crap besides whether or not you are URM (under-represented minority).

In this case, being URM helps you. 3.5+ and 165-166+ will definitely get you into T-14.

Whether or not you should actually go to a T-14 at that level is another story, because you might be paying close to sticker and it will probably not be worth it.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:40 pm

Chiming in because I'm surprised nobody else has hounded you for this - if you're interested more in politics than the law why are you going to law school at all?

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:54 pm

Go get a job with that 3.5 top LAC degree.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:10 pm

*t13

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Booklover wrote:I'm more interested in politics than I am in advocacy or the judiciary

Then get an MPP. Or just get involved in politics.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�