GPA Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CottonHarvest

Bronze

GPA Question

Postby CottonHarvest » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:22 pm

Why does LSAC weight college courses taken as a high schooler the same as those taken in college?

grades??

Silver

Re: GPA Question

Postby grades?? » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:23 pm

because both are college courses, duh

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:40 pm

grades?? wrote:because both are college courses, duh

super12345chess

New

Postby super12345chess » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:14 pm

I think it's a legitimate question.

As an extreme case, I took a college class while in middle school. I happened to get an A in it, so it hasn't negatively affected me, but the idea that the grade from a class I started when I was 13 would be evaluated equally to a course I took while in college doesn't make sense. A middle schooler is a middle schooler, and a high school student is a high school student. People do all sorts of odd things when they're younger. Law Schools don't incorporate high school grades, and I would argue they shouldn't include college classes while enrolled in high school either.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:18 pm

It's simple though. The decision whether to include that sort of grade is too fact-specific, so LSAC just counts them all to make the process as fair as possible to the thousands of applicants they're processing every year. It might not seem fair to you in your specific instance, but do you realize what would happen if LSAC had to look into every course and when it was taken and what circumstances it was taken in?

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:24 pm

UVA2B wrote:It's simple though

it really is simple. if you have a problem with the whole thing, your problem should be with the fact that GPA matters as much as it does. There's no problem with the way GPAs are calculated (except, maybe, the 4.3/A+)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:25 pm

guybourdin wrote:if you have a problem with the whole thing, your problem should be with the fact that GPA matters as much as it does.

Nah. :D

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:27 pm

super12345chess wrote:I think it's a legitimate question.

As an extreme case, I took a college class while in middle school. I happened to get an A in it, so it hasn't negatively affected me, but the idea that the grade from a class I started when I was 13 would be evaluated equally to a course I took while in college doesn't make sense. A middle schooler is a middle schooler, and a high school student is a high school student. People do all sorts of odd things when they're younger. Law Schools don't incorporate high school grades, and I would argue they shouldn't include college classes while enrolled in high school either.

Ok. So should colleges stop counting them for credit, especially if they fulfill general course requirements?

The whole reason that a student takes a college course in high school (or middle school, apparently...) is to get college credit and/or challenge themselves. It's not like you have a bunch of slack-jawed idiots taking these courses as a way to cut school. If you take a college course, even at age 13, you should be well aware that you're taking it for college credit.

LSRAT

Bronze

Postby LSRAT » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:32 pm

An inclusive policy seems appropriate because it's too case specific. For me, I didn't think it was appropriate to count college courses I took in high school because it was forever ago and my performance during university is much more indicative of, well, anything important really. But I know applicants who are graduating after two years in university becuase of how many college courses they took in high school. Makes sense to me that their credits be counted. I guess a system that counts credits that are applied to the degree would make more sense.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�