if I decline the full ride, will i be offered again if I reapply

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aaadny

New

if I decline the full ride, will i be offered again if I reapply

Postby aaadny » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:16 am

Hi all,

So I am in a tricky situation right now.
Here is my background:I am an international applicant. I applied rather late this cycle (early Feb) and it was all a rush job. I studied for two months for last June LSAT and scored 165 and then studied for 6 weeks more for Dec LSAT and scored 169. So 3.5 months in total and I was PTing consistently in the 170s. But I had a medical situation with my eyes two weeks prior to the Dec LSAT, hence the 169 score. ( I wrote an essay on it and sent to each school, which now I think was stupid) Also, I am very unsatisfied with the PS I eventually sent out; it was a rush job. But I was told that my DS talking about experience growing up gay in China was impressing. In a nutshell, I applied quite late with a lsat score I am not satisfied with and a PS that I don't even like myself.
My softs are decent: two exchange program(US and Italy), several research assistant positions( one was 1 year), an IP internship in an American tech company( only thing I did there was reviewing contracts tho), also am a lgbt member in China.

So far I have received a full ride from WashU and UC Davis with 15k annually(exo me??) and have been waitlisted in Cornell, Duke and Columbia and preferred waitlist in Georgetown. I still haven't heard back from all other schools I applied to.
I also got admitted a one-year European Master program in law and economic.
My goal is to work in a big law in either NY or Cali(preferably) after graduation.

So my situation is whether to do this European master and retake a lsat and reapply again with a better PS and a european master or just take the money in WashU and run? Also if I reapply next year, will WashU offer me the same package as they did this year? I am thinking sending an email to WashU and ask them about it, is it appropriate to do so? WashU extended my deposit to 15th April so I only have 2 weeks to decide.

Please guys, share your thought. Many thanks in advance.

grades??

Silver

Re: if I decline the full ride, will i be offered again if I reapply

Postby grades?? » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:52 am

What did Lsac evaluate your gpa as? Above average?

aaadny

New

Postby aaadny » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:55 am

grades?? wrote:What did Lsac evaluate your gpa as? Above average?

yep, above average

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Postby melmelcoolj » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:04 am

aaadny wrote:Hi all,

So I am in a tricky situation right now.
Here is my background:I am an international applicant. I applied rather late this cycle (early Feb) and it was all a rush job. I studied for two months for last June LSAT and scored 165 and then studied for 6 weeks more for Dec LSAT and scored 169. So 3.5 months in total and I was PTing consistently in the 170s. But I had a medical situation with my eyes two weeks prior to the Dec LSAT, hence the 169 score. ( I wrote an essay on it and sent to each school, which now I think was stupid) Also, I am very unsatisfied with the PS I eventually sent out; it was a rush job. But I was told that my DS talking about experience growing up gay in China was impressing. In a nutshell, I applied quite late with a lsat score I am not satisfied with and a PS that I don't even like myself.
My softs are decent: two exchange program(US and Italy), several research assistant positions( one was 1 year), an IP internship in an American tech company( only thing I did there was reviewing contracts tho), also am a lgbt member in China.

So far I have received a full ride from WashU and UC Davis with 15k annually(exo me??) and have been waitlisted in Cornell, Duke and Columbia and preferred waitlist in Georgetown. I still haven't heard back from all other schools I applied to.
I also got admitted a one-year European Master program in law and economic.
My goal is to work in a big law in either NY or Cali(preferably) after graduation.

So my situation is whether to do this European master and retake a lsat and reapply again with a better PS and a european master or just take the money in WashU and run? Also if I reapply next year, will WashU offer me the same package as they did this year? I am thinking sending an email to WashU and ask them about it, is it appropriate to do so? WashU extended my deposit to 15th April so I only have 2 weeks to decide.

Please guys, share your thought. Many thanks in advance.

I was in a similar situation, but, at this point, I don't think it matters. If your goal is to go into BigLaw in NY or Cali, I don't think you need to attend WashU. WashU probably won't get you where you want, since the percentage of people who go into BigLaw are very scarce. And it is mostly for a midwestern market in or near Chicago, if you do get BigLaw.

So just politely decline the offer, and then retake the LSAT to 170+. Apply early next cycle and profit. Do not worry about WashU any more.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:11 am

What is your financial situation? How will you pay for school and cost of living?

aaadny

New

Postby aaadny » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:18 am

Npret wrote:What is your financial situation? How will you pay for school and cost of living?

money is important. my family isn't that wealthy. I don't mind being on debt if I go to a T14 but considering I am not a US citizen I can only get loans in China, which is not so easy. thus I need at least half scholarship wherever I go.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Postby melmelcoolj » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:34 am

aaadny wrote:
Npret wrote:What is your financial situation? How will you pay for school and cost of living?

money is important. my family isn't that wealthy. I don't mind being on debt if I go to a T14 but considering I am not a US citizen I can only get loans in China, which is not so easy. thus I need at least half scholarship wherever I go.

I think the most viable route would be retake for a 170+ and then get some work experience, and apply to NU ED. Go for free, so you will most likely get biglaw unless you screw up in law school, and your family would not need to pay for anything other than basic living expenses. For that, you can take out loans, and you can always live frugally like a college student.

aaadny

New

Postby aaadny » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:47 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
aaadny wrote:

I think the most viable route would be retake for a 170+ and then get some work experience, and apply to NU ED. Go for free, so you will most likely get biglaw unless you screw up in law school, and your family would not need to pay for anything other than basic living expenses. For that, you can take out loans, and you can always live frugally like a college student.

i see, thank you for your messages. i appreciate your help.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:10 am

Nah, same thing happened to me and I was accepted again with the same full ride. Just make sure you write an addendum as to why you decided to turn down the full ride last year and how you would love to still attend that school this year.

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Postby BobBoblaw » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:15 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
I was in a similar situation, but, at this point, I don't think it matters. If your goal is to go into BigLaw in NY or Cali, I don't think you need to attend WashU. WashU probably won't get you where you want, since the percentage of people who go into BigLaw are very scarce. And it is mostly for a midwestern market in or near Chicago, if you do get BigLaw.

So just politely decline the offer, and then retake the LSAT to 170+. Apply early next cycle and profit. Do not worry about WashU any more.

Yeah, this is wrong. Granted, WUSTL has BL + Fed clerkship numbers which are lower than northwestern, but they place about 33% of graduates into biglaw or fed clerkships, which is perfectly respectable for a non-t13 and not "very scarce". secondly, only about a third of the class gets jobs in MO, but after that the most popular states for their grads are NY and Cali, not Illinois (Chicago) as you said, so wrong there again.

Op would have to be above 171 to even have a shot at the NW full ride scholarship, and even then it is no sure thing as OP has no reportable GPA and those scholarships are meant to buy NU high numbers.

OP, take it for what it is worth, but I would take the full ride at WUSTL, no guarantee of getting anything better in future years. Is it worth it to you to sit out a year on the hope that you might get a higher last which might lead to a better offer from a school which may have better employment stats? It's a lot of uncertainty for me plus the opportunity cost of waiting another year. Just suck it up and bust your ass and make sure you are above median at WUSTL, and getting a biglaw job should be very doable. You may get the same offer if you reapply next year, but no guarantees, especially if the applicant pool keeps growing.

aaadny

New

Postby aaadny » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:16 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Nah, same thing happened to me and I was accepted again with the same full ride. Just make sure you write an addendum as to why you decided to turn down the full ride last year and how you would love to still attend that school this year.

thanks!! this definitely makes my decision way easier!

aaadny

New

Postby aaadny » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:36 am

BobBoblaw wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:

Yeah, this is wrong. Granted, WUSTL has BL + Fed clerkship numbers which are lower than northwestern, but they place about 33% of graduates into biglaw or fed clerkships, which is perfectly respectable for a non-t13 and not "very scarce". secondly, only about a third of the class gets jobs in MO, but after that the most popular states for their grads are NY and Cali, not Illinois (Chicago) as you said, so wrong there again.

Op would have to be above 171 to even have a shot at the NW full ride scholarship, and even then it is no sure thing as OP has no reportable GPA and those scholarships are meant to buy NU high numbers.

OP, take it for what it is worth, but I would take the full ride at WUSTL, no guarantee of getting anything better in future years. Is it worth it to you to sit out a year on the hope that you might get a higher last which might lead to a better offer from a school which may have better employment stats? It's a lot of uncertainty for me plus the opportunity cost of waiting another year. Just suck it up and bust your ass and make sure you are above median at WUSTL, and getting a biglaw job should be very doable. You may get the same offer if you reapply next year, but no guarantees, especially if the applicant pool keeps growing.

Thank you for your thoughts. but considering I am a foreigner I am not sure above median will be enough for me to go to big law lol. WUSTL places about 10ish ppl to NY and Cali each, so around 30 in total. It is not "very scarce" but it is indeed much less compared to T14. Tho it seems like the newest number of graduates into biglaw or fed clerkships jumped from 33% to 44% this year.(source from WUSTL thread) You do have good points here - too many uncertainties and WUSTL is a decent school after all. And that's why it hasn't been easy for me to make a decision.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:47 am

aaadny wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:

Thank you for your thoughts. but considering I am a foreigner I am not sure above median will be enough for me to go to big law lol. WUSTL places about 10ish ppl to NY and Cali each, so around 30 in total. It is not "very scarce" but it is indeed much less compared to T14. Tho it seems like the newest number of graduates into biglaw or fed clerkships jumped from 33% to 44% this year.(source from WUSTL thread) You do have good points here - too many uncertainties and WUSTL is a decent school after all. And that's why it hasn't been easy for me to make a decision.

Is the bolded conjecture or do they cite an actual source? According to LST, for the class of 2015, 33% BL+Fed Clerk is the most recently available data. The school website hasn't updated their ABA disclosures for class of 2016, so is this some insider knowledge? I'd be seriously suspect on this because ABA disclosures are due this month, meaning the data is probably still being collected.

If true, that would be a massive jump, but I'd seriously question your source here.

aaadny

New

Postby aaadny » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:52 am

UVA2B wrote:
aaadny wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:

Is the bolded conjecture or do they cite an actual source? According to LST, for the class of 2015, 33% BL+Fed Clerk is the most recently available data. The school website hasn't updated their ABA disclosures for class of 2016, so is this some insider knowledge? I'd be seriously suspect on this because ABA disclosures are due this month, meaning the data is probably still being collected.

If true, that would be a massive jump, but I'd seriously question your source here.

They also discussed the source of this info in WUSTL thread. Apparently it was released by school officials in ASW and the brouchers but was worded very ambiguously. So everyone is waiting for the official ABA report to confirm this big jump. It might have just become a game changer for many.

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Postby BobBoblaw » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:56 am

UVA2B wrote:
aaadny wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:

Can't speak to the veracity of those numbers, but I was told by admissions from another school that employment stats represent a snapshot on a particular day for all schools - march 15. So employment data could well have been collected by this point. Anyone who hasn't responded to their Alma mater's employment survey yet is not likely to.

Greenteachurro

Silver

Postby Greenteachurro » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:07 pm

UVA2B wrote:
aaadny wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:

Naw data is probably not being collected anymore, I think the due date to submit the data is like the 7th or something, most likely they're tying up loose ends. I mean I'd question the source because that's a big jump, but I've also heard some rumors of schools in a similar range experiencing upticks, since the legal market is getting a bit better.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:21 pm

Greenteachurro wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
aaadny wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:

Naw data is probably not being collected anymore, I think the due date to submit the data is like the 7th or something, most likely they're tying up loose ends. I mean I'd question the source because that's a big jump, but I've also heard some rumors of schools in a similar range experiencing upticks, since the legal market is getting a bit better.

This is what I actually meant by still collecting the data, just wasn't nearly clear enough. I'd also believe there could be an uptick in the market generally, but 11% would be a huge uptick if true. I didn't intend to say that information isn't true, just that I'd seriously question it until official disclosures come out.

aaadny

New

Postby aaadny » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:30 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Nah, same thing happened to me and I was accepted again with the same full ride. Just make sure you write an addendum as to why you decided to turn down the full ride last year and how you would love to still attend that school this year.

if you don'y mind me asking, which school is it that offered you the same full ride again?

aaadny

New

Postby aaadny » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:37 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Greenteachurro wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
aaadny wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:

This is what I actually meant by still collecting the data, just wasn't nearly clear enough. I'd also believe there could be an uptick in the market generally, but 11% would be a huge uptick if true. I didn't intend to say that information isn't true, just that I'd seriously question it until official disclosures come out.

I think everyone can agree on that this is a huge jump and indeed hard to believe. But it's kinda impossible for a school to throw this out in an ASW without any kind of factual support. There have been students sending email to WashU and asking them to confirm this. I guess we just have to sit tight and wait for that official report to come out!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�