WUSTL Full Scholarship VS Loyola 100K

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ni233

New

WUSTL Full Scholarship VS Loyola 100K

Postby Ni233 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:23 pm

Really need your help here. As the title shows, please give me your advice on which school I should choose. Below is some of my basic information.
I immigrated from China to US in 2009 and have since then lived in LA. I don't wanna say I'm 100% deadset on LA, but I do prioritize returning to LA. I consider myself to have ties in LA: I got an Econ master degree from USC, and before that spent a year and half in Santa Monica College; also my parents live in LA. On the other hand, I have no ties to any other place in US, so I guess besides LA, NY is the only place left where I can get a law firm job. Right?
My stepfather, a Columbia JD from 70s, strongly urges me to go to Loyola. He says Loyola is a very decent school, and Saint Loius is a fly-over place. I usually trust his advice, but since he's away from school for 40 years, I'm not sure if his opinion is still up-to-date. (He even told me to choose Loyola over Northwestern if I want to practice in LA, as he would be confused if he were the LA employer, and Northerwestern is not U of Chicago; basically this is when I stopped to be totally convinced on his advice.)
Also:
I have taken LSAT three times over the past two years: 166, 169, 169. So retake is impossible.
I have no UGPA in US so naturally got rejected by UCLA and USC
Loyola's money is conditional on me being the top 1/3.
I can live with parents if attending loyola.
I'm also on the waitlist of Northwestern, and waiting decisions from Gerogetown and UC Davis. But let's I have to choose between only these two schools, which one do you suggest? Or should I use WUSTL's decision to get myself off the waitlist of Northwestern? Can I?
Any word will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

baseballfan660

Bronze

Re: WUSTL Full Scholarship VS Loyola 100K

Postby baseballfan660 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:33 pm

Ni233 wrote:Really need your help here. As the title shows, please give me your advice on which school I should choose. Below is some of my basic information.
I immigrated from China to US in 2009 and have since then lived in LA. I don't wanna say I'm 100% deadset on LA, but I do prioritize returning to LA. I consider myself to have ties in LA: I got an Econ master degree from USC, and before that spent a year and half in Santa Monica College; also my parents live in LA. On the other hand, I have no ties to any other place in US, so I guess besides LA, NY is the only place left where I can get a law firm job. Right?
My stepfather, a Columbia JD from 70s, strongly urges me to go to Loyola. He says Loyola is a very decent school, and Saint Loius is a fly-over place. I usually trust his advice, but since he's away from school for 40 years, I'm not sure if his opinion is still up-to-date. (He even told me to choose Loyola over Northwestern if I want to practice in LA, as he would be confused if he were the LA employer, and Northerwestern is not U of Chicago; basically this is when I stopped to be totally convinced on his advice.)
Also:
I have taken LSAT three times over the past two years: 166, 169, 169. So retake is impossible.
I have no UGPA in US so naturally got rejected by UCLA and USC
Loyola's money is conditional on me being the top 1/3.
I can live with parents if attending loyola.
I'm also on the waitlist of Northwestern, and waiting decisions from Gerogetown and UC Davis. But let's I have to choose between only these two schools, which one do you suggest? Or should I use WUSTL's decision to get myself off the waitlist of Northwestern? Can I?
Any word will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

WUSTL without a doubt imo. Better degree and cheaper. You can't assume you will be higher than median at Loyola, and thus might end up unemployed from there, median at Wash U, will still get you a job. A full ride at WUSTL cannot get u off the Northwestern waitlist, however if you do get off maybe you could convince them to give you money.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:34 pm

WUSTL. However, email them and ask if there's any way you can get the Washington Award which is a 15k living stipend. Never hurts to ask.

Moneytrees

Silver

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:13 am

WUSTL all the way.

luckyirish13

Bronze

Postby luckyirish13 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:44 am

Definitely the full ride at WUSTL. First of all it's a full ride vs. having to take on loads of debt. But secondly, WUSTL is a much better school than Loyola. Check their US News and World Report Rankings. Washington is a top 20 school at #18, Loyola is all the way down at 65.

Imo you should take the full ride at the much better school.

Ni233

New

Postby Ni233 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:14 am

OneHandedEconomist wrote:WUSTL. However, email them and ask if there's any way you can get the Washington Award which is a 15k living stipend. Never hurts to ask.

Thank you for this advice. But by asking this award, do I need to tell them I'm committed to wustl? I'm pretty unworldly on this sort of thing.

Ni233

New

Postby Ni233 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:20 am

luckyirish13 wrote:Definitely the full ride at WUSTL. First of all it's a full ride vs. having to take on loads of debt. But secondly, WUSTL is a much better school than Loyola. Check their US News and World Report Rankings. Washington is a top 20 school at #18, Loyola is all the way down at 65.

Thanks for your reply. But a lot of people have claimed it's unwise to rely on the US News rankings. And I want to make sure Loyola isn't much more regionally powerful than Wustl in LA, before I'm committed to Wustl.
And idea about their respect regional recognitions in LA?

Moneytrees

Silver

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:56 am

Ni233 wrote:
luckyirish13 wrote:Definitely the full ride at WUSTL. First of all it's a full ride vs. having to take on loads of debt. But secondly, WUSTL is a much better school than Loyola. Check their US News and World Report Rankings. Washington is a top 20 school at #18, Loyola is all the way down at 65.

Thanks for your reply. But a lot of people have claimed it's unwise to rely on the US News rankings. And I want to make sure Loyola isn't much more regionally powerful than Wustl in LA, before I'm committed to Wustl.
And idea about their respect regional recognitions in LA?

WUSTL isn't a super well known school in California, and landing California Biglaw is certainly unlikely out of WUSTL. However, it's a much better school than Loyola and I'm sure most employers know it is ranked way higher. As long as you get decent grades you will be in a good position to come back to LA. Plus, you won't be getting Biglaw out of Loyola so you'd be better off going with the better school/lower debt.

If the question was free ride at WUSTL vs. USC with 100k, then that would be a much tougher debate. WUSTL win hands down over Loyola.

luckyirish13

Bronze

Postby luckyirish13 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:27 am

There's another factor here too. Your 100K to Loyola is conditional on you placing in the top 30%. That's a really dangerous "if". Don't go there if that's attached.

Another thing you can do is use your WUSTL scholarship to negotiate with Loyola. Get that condition off of the scholarship, and get them to give you a full ride. Tell them you can't justify spending more money on a lower ranked school for a conditional scholarship when you could just as easily go on a full ride to a top 20 school. All of that would be true, and if Loyola really wants you, they'll make it happen (or at least will give you a more justifiable scholarship)

But if you know you want to return to Los Angeles, WUSTL isn't going to be great for you. It'll be decent because you can show them you went to a top 20 law school, but most LA employers don't know WUSTL off the top of their head. Loyola isn't anywhere near as good of a school, but at least employers know about it. Don't go with Loyola unless you can significantly upgrade their scholarship.

Imo, think about it like this.

If you have full scholarship to WUSTL and partial or conditional scholarship to Loyola, advantage WUSTL. (Right now this is where you're at)
If you have full scholarship to both and don't care where you'll be practicing, advantage WUSTL.
If you have full scholarship to both and know you want to practice in LA, advantage Loyola. (This is where you have to get in order to justify Loyola)

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:57 am

Loyola is a bad choice for the OP, even if they definitely want to stay in LA. OP said they want a "law firm", and based on the rest of the post, I assume they don't mean "a small firm handling the accounts for the gas station and the local grocery store".

Loyola students don't get biglaw anywhere. So regional placement is trumped by firm placement. WashU doesn't have the same reach as a T14 (by the way OP, your stepfather doesn't know how this works anymore for exactly the reasons you highlighted), but it has enough reach to get someone with California ties back to the state.

If this were WashU vs. UCLA, that might change things. But it isn't.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:54 am

Damn that really sucks about USC/UCLA. If you did a pretty targeted application to USC I think they would bite. I think it's more of a yield protect thing than not having a GPA thing from following USC closely this cycle.
Oh well.

WUSTL for sure.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�