Shall I attend GGU Law 2017 Fall Class?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
galeatus

Silver

Re: Shall I attend GGU Law 2017 Fall Class?

Postby galeatus » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:42 am

lauraleeli wrote:Thank you very much for your analysis, it has been very helpful to me. I am actually thinking retake now already. I am just saying that 40K+10k covers my tuition, other costs I may prepare myself before I go to USA. Especially GGU has Honors Lawyering Program (“HLP”) and First Summer Trial and Evidence Program (“1st STEP”), and I have been enrolled by both programs, so I think I can start to work since 2L, therefore I might finance my life expenses. Also I can do some part time work such as translation to tip up myself a little bit.

Please DO NOT DO THIS. You can't register this type of work as OPT with your school (as it is unlikely that it can be considered relevant to your field of study that is law), which renders it as illegal employment and there have been multiple cases lately of students being refused re-entry into the US and having their visas revoked due to illegal employment. It will look especially bad if you are considering a legal career.

Speaking as a compatriot, please, for the love of god, retake and do not attend GGU, no matter how attractive the scholly options may seem. It is very unlikely for you to be able to remain in the US on a H1b upon graduation from GGU, and if you want to marry a US citizen, you don't have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to download Tinder. I will also add that a GGU degree won't help much in helping you find a decent job back in China either - even the bigger Chinese firms (think KWM/Dentons) now pretty much only hire grads from T1 law schools.

lauraleeli

New

Postby lauraleeli » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:07 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
lauraleeli wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Horrible, horrible flame. Congrats though, you made it to 2 pages!

Just spit out what I thought to be advantages to attend GGU, then I will understand how to act next.

I'm pretty sure "flame" isn't a commonly known terminology in China. Good job, troll. You outed yourself.

I might know more words than you do, even though you got a higher LSAT score than I do. Do you know “apocalyptic”, for instances?

lauraleeli

New

Postby lauraleeli » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:10 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Please just go to GGU and best of luck, troll.

"China doesn't send us their best and the brightest.They send us LauraLeeLi" - The Donald.

LauraLeeLi is just one individual of Chinese, and she can't represent any of other Chinese. You got a high LSAT score, but how can you don't know the representative issue?

lauraleeli

New

Postby lauraleeli » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:19 am

galeatus wrote:
lauraleeli wrote:Thank you very much for your analysis, it has been very helpful to me. I am actually thinking retake now already. I am just saying that 40K+10k covers my tuition, other costs I may prepare myself before I go to USA. Especially GGU has Honors Lawyering Program (“HLP”) and First Summer Trial and Evidence Program (“1st STEP”), and I have been enrolled by both programs, so I think I can start to work since 2L, therefore I might finance my life expenses. Also I can do some part time work such as translation to tip up myself a little bit.

Please DO NOT DO THIS. You can't register this type of work as OPT with your school (as it is unlikely that it can be considered relevant to your field of study that is law), which renders it as illegal employment and there have been multiple cases lately of students being refused re-entry into the US and having their visas revoked due to illegal employment. It will look especially bad if you are considering a legal career.

Speaking as a compatriot, please, for the love of god, retake and do not attend GGU, no matter how attractive the scholly options may seem. It is very unlikely for you to be able to remain in the US on a H1b upon graduation from GGU, and if you want to marry a US citizen, you don't have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to download Tinder. I will also add that a GGU degree won't help much in helping you find a decent job back in China either - even the bigger Chinese firms (think KWM/Dentons) now pretty much only hire grads from T1 law schools.

Your opinion is making some sense to me, but for some words, I think they are too extreme. I really don't care how are Chinese big law firms going to be. I only look forward to my own career path. I don't think GGU graduates are not going to live at last without entering big law firms.

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:27 am

lauraleeli wrote:
galeatus wrote:

Your opinion is making some sense to me, but for some words, I think they are too extreme. I really don't care how is Chinese big law firms going to be. I only look forward to my own career path. I don't think GGU graduates are not going to live at last without entering big law firms.

You're absolutely right, but you, unlike the majority of GGU grads, need some sort of visa to live in the US, which changes everything.

Also, these aren't exactly opinions, I was just trying to lay some facts out for you as a bit of a warning (as was many others ITT), but it seems clear that you've made your mind up already and are merely trying to get some sort of confirmation from a forum that is famous for telling 170/3.8 applicants to retake - good luck with that.

lauraleeli

New

Postby lauraleeli » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:38 am

galeatus wrote:
lauraleeli wrote:
galeatus wrote:

Your opinion is making some sense to me, but for some words, I think they are too extreme. I really don't care how is Chinese big law firms going to be. I only look forward to my own career path. I don't think GGU graduates are not going to live at last without entering big law firms.

You're absolutely right, but you, unlike the majority of GGU grads, need some sort of visa to live in the US, which changes everything.

Also, these aren't exactly opinions, I was just trying to lay some facts out for you as a bit of a warning (as was many others ITT), but it seems clear that you've made your mind up already and are merely trying to get some sort of confirmation from a forum that is famous for telling 170/3.8 applicants to retake - good luck with that.

I owe you a thank you though. I am not looking for confirmation or anything. I hope someone can really persuade me or defeat me, I am really stubborn and obstinate sometimes. And I want to make best out of it. People with cynical ideas can't convince me at all. Of course, I am not saying you're cynical.

lauraleeli

New

Postby lauraleeli » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:17 am

lauraleeli wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Horrible, horrible flame. Congrats though, you made it to 2 pages!

Just spit out what I thought to be advantages to attend GGU, then I will understand how to act next.

I'm pretty sure "flame" isn't a commonly known terminology in China. Good job, troll. You outed yourself.

"Home News
It’s Official: Men Who Troll Women Are Losers – Literally

Read more at http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/it-s- ... XAVoPjc.99"

AJordan

Bronze

Postby AJordan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:19 am

lauraleeli wrote:
galeatus wrote:
lauraleeli wrote:
galeatus wrote:

I owe you a thank you though. I am not looking for confirmation or anything. I hope someone can really persuade me or defeat me, I am really stubborn and obstinate sometimes. And I want to make best out of it. People with cynical ideas can't convince me at all. Of course, I am not saying you're cynical.

What may seem cynical to you can be posted by another with an intention of helping you down a path of better cost/benefit and risk management analysis, at which most people are lousy. Some backwards planning here is not a bad thing. It seems your overarching goal is to leave China. The methodology you have chosen is to attend law school. If that is your plan, GGU as a route is a poor plan. If your goal is not to leave China, but rather to be a lawyer, GGU is also a poor route to that plan. If you goal is to both be a lawyer AND leave China GGU is, again, a poor choice to achieve your goal.

Some better possible answers for each goal:
Leave China: Don't go to law school. Law school hardships should only be accrued by those who really want to be lawyers. Choose any number of different routes here.
Become a lawyer: Retake the LSAT until you can get into a T1 school. 30 is not old.
Leave China AND become a lawyer: This one is tricky and it's the one I was advising you on earlier. Spousal visas are no joke, but marrying an American is an answer as long as it's legit. Then you would be free to take a fat scholly at a T3 school and not worry about not finding a work visa afterwards. Alternatively you can go back to retaking the LSAT but even so you're likely wanting T14 at that point since you're pretty much biglaw or bust. Also, while your English is great for someone ESL, and kudos for that, it's not great for American academic writing so maybe work on that a bit too.

There's a book called "Grit" by Angela Duckworth I read recently that advocates goal orientation and hierarchy as a preliminary step in decision making. It's not cynical, it's just practical. I would recommend reading it.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:55 am

Why are we still treating the OP seriously?

luckyirish13

Bronze

Postby luckyirish13 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:59 am

galeatus wrote:

What are the rules about working during law school? Isn't there like an hours limit or something? And where do summer positions apply to this?

AJordan

Bronze

Postby AJordan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:31 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Why are we still treating the OP seriously?

Maybe someone in a similarly poor situation will google it and this will pop up. That's how I found TLS.

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:53 am

luckyirish13 wrote:
galeatus wrote:

What are the rules about working during law school? Isn't there like an hours limit or something? And where do summer positions apply to this?

You can work as a full-time summer associate as long as you register your employment with the International office at your school - they will register your employment details with the DHS and also update your I-20.

lauraleeli

New

Postby lauraleeli » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:02 am

AJordan wrote:
lauraleeli wrote:
galeatus wrote:
lauraleeli wrote:
galeatus wrote:

What may seem cynical to you can be posted by another with an intention of helping you down a path of better cost/benefit and risk management analysis, at which most people are lousy. Some backwards planning here is not a bad thing. It seems your overarching goal is to leave China. The methodology you have chosen is to attend law school. If that is your plan, GGU as a route is a poor plan. If your goal is not to leave China, but rather to be a lawyer, GGU is also a poor route to that plan. If you goal is to both be a lawyer AND leave China GGU is, again, a poor choice to achieve your goal.

Some better possible answers for each goal:
Leave China: Don't go to law school. Law school hardships should only be accrued by those who really want to be lawyers. Choose any number of different routes here.
Become a lawyer: Retake the LSAT until you can get into a T1 school. 30 is not old.
Leave China AND become a lawyer: This one is tricky and it's the one I was advising you on earlier. Spousal visas are no joke, but marrying an American is an answer as long as it's legit. Then you would be free to take a fat scholly at a T3 school and not worry about not finding a work visa afterwards. Alternatively you can go back to retaking the LSAT but even so you're likely wanting T14 at that point since you're pretty much biglaw or bust. Also, while your English is great for someone ESL, and kudos for that, it's not great for American academic writing so maybe work on that a bit too.

There's a book called "Grit" by Angela Duckworth I read recently that advocates goal orientation and hierarchy as a preliminary step in decision making. It's not cynical, it's just practical. I would recommend reading it.

On my OP, I said I want to become a lawyer and build a family. Those two things shall happen simultaneously, because I want to find a soul mate, not just someone gives me a green card. If I convet a green card so much I would have agreed to marry my former American customer, since he proposed to me. Though thank you for the detailed and elaborated answers. I appreciate your efforts so much.

You made one point, that I have to retake LSAT.
But how about financial aid? 40K+10K per year will cover all my tuition for a whole year. Even later if I get enrolled in a T14 law school, I still don't have a chance to take loans, so I might not make it eventually. You're being very nice, I know it, but you didn't put yourself really in my shoes to perceive the problems. Just like elites didn't talk about working class' employments. That's was a partial reason why Donald Trump became the president of the USA as a result.

I am not saying my English is great, but I don't agree my English is blow average. No one is perfect here, that's why people wanna go to law school to train themselves, to polish themselves . If you are already perfect in writing academic papers, just because you had a high LSAT score, then why do you people wanna go to law schools? You can directly take the bar and become lawyers. Wouldn't it be much easier?
Thank you for recommending Grit to me. I will find it out and read it one day.
Last edited by lauraleeli on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

lauraleeli

New

Postby lauraleeli » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:11 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Why are we still treating the OP seriously?

In China, we have a famous sentence of a poem" “卑鄙是卑鄙的通行证, 高尚是高尚的墓志铭。” Roughly translated: Abjection is the pass of abjection, noblity is the epitaph of nobility.

lauraleeli

New

Postby lauraleeli » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:33 pm

lauraleeli wrote:
lauraleeli wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
lauraleeli wrote:
In 2016, only 1 person from GGU was able to transfer to Berkeley
In 2015, nobody from GGU transferred to Berkeley.
In 2014, only 1 person from GGU was able to transfer to Berkeley.

24 people failed out of GGU last year and only 45% GGU graduates pass the California Bar Exam.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but even though you might have done well in Shanghai, this is law school. You're going to be with extremely hardworking people that are all looking to be in the top 10% of their class to transfer to a better school. Exactly like you. Just because it's a terrible school, it doesn't mean that it's students are terrible. The competition is going to be intense, and I'm sorry to say, you have a severe disadvantage because you're not a native English speaker...and the exams are all in....English.

Lastly, to be even more honest, what makes you think that you'll graduate in the top 5-10% of your class? Your LSAT is extremely mediocre and your GPA (is that 3.0 out of 4.0?) just as mediocre. Your confidence that you'll transfer to a better school is good but it can be dangerous because nothing that you can show supports this claim.

Just because I am ESL, does not mean it is a severe disadvantage. My major is English Literature, and I have passed the highest English learning proficiency ranking exam in China. I read The Economist, The New Yorker and Scientific American. So what is the advantage of a native English Speaker? Just because you have a more authentic American local accent? Or just because you have an American face? I have been a translator for many years, and I captured your American accent, though not perfect, I think I am doing quite well. Well, about writing, can you just look at a forum piece of writing and judge that person is not good at academic writing? You haven't seen any of my academic writings yet, right? By the way, GGU offers me 40K is in partial that I wrote a good piece of PS.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:22 pm

lauraleeli wrote:
lauraleeli wrote:
lauraleeli wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
lauraleeli wrote:
In 2016, only 1 person from GGU was able to transfer to Berkeley
In 2015, nobody from GGU transferred to Berkeley.
In 2014, only 1 person from GGU was able to transfer to Berkeley.

24 people failed out of GGU last year and only 45% GGU graduates pass the California Bar Exam.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but even though you might have done well in Shanghai, this is law school. You're going to be with extremely hardworking people that are all looking to be in the top 10% of their class to transfer to a better school. Exactly like you. Just because it's a terrible school, it doesn't mean that it's students are terrible. The competition is going to be intense, and I'm sorry to say, you have a severe disadvantage because you're not a native English speaker...and the exams are all in....English.

Lastly, to be even more honest, what makes you think that you'll graduate in the top 5-10% of your class? Your LSAT is extremely mediocre and your GPA (is that 3.0 out of 4.0?) just as mediocre. Your confidence that you'll transfer to a better school is good but it can be dangerous because nothing that you can show supports this claim.

Just because I am ESL, does not mean it is a severe disadvantage. My major is English Literature, and I have passed the highest English learning proficiency ranking exam in China. I read The Economist, The New Yorker and Scientific American. So what is the advantage of a native English Speaker? Just because you have a more authentic American local accent? Or just because you have an American face? I have been a translator for many years, and I captured your American accent, though not perfect, I think I am doing quite well. Well, about writing, can you just look at a forum piece of writing and judge that person is not good at academic writing? You haven't seen any of my academic writings yet, right? By the way, GGU offers me 40K is in partial that I wrote a good piece of PS.

Just go. Good luck.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:08 am

guybourdin wrote:
lauraleeli wrote:

Just go. Good luck.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?