Worth a Hail Mary to BC?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
radon5

New
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:52 pm

Worth a Hail Mary to BC?

Postby radon5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:11 pm

I applied a bit broadly but didn't realize until recently that Boston College would fit well with my interest of ending up in the Northeast. Would it be worth it to apply now before the 3/31 deadline? Stats are 3.7 160, which seems to be okay with their various percentiles.

I'm not big law or bust but would obviously work as hard as I could wherever I am to try to get big law. Primarily interested in business litigation and not really any PI tracks. Thanks.

Moneytrees

Silver
Posts: 792
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: Worth a Hail Mary to BC?

Postby Moneytrees » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:13 pm

radon5 wrote:I applied a bit broadly but didn't realize until recently that Boston College would fit well with my interest of ending up in the Northeast. Would it be worth it to apply now before the 3/31 deadline? Stats are 3.7 160, which seems to be okay with their various percentiles.

I'm not big law or bust but would obviously work as hard as I could wherever I am to try to get big law. Primarily interested in business litigation and not really any PI tracks. Thanks.


Probably not, since you would not get a good scholarship at this point of the cycle.

You have a great GPA, have you considered re-taking and re-applying next year? If you score a few more points higher on the LSAT you could be looking at a big scholarship from BC.

radon5

New
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:52 pm

Re: Worth a Hail Mary to BC?

Postby radon5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:25 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
radon5 wrote:I applied a bit broadly but didn't realize until recently that Boston College would fit well with my interest of ending up in the Northeast. Would it be worth it to apply now before the 3/31 deadline? Stats are 3.7 160, which seems to be okay with their various percentiles.

I'm not big law or bust but would obviously work as hard as I could wherever I am to try to get big law. Primarily interested in business litigation and not really any PI tracks. Thanks.


Probably not, since you would not get a good scholarship at this point of the cycle.

You have a great GPA, have you considered re-taking and re-applying next year? If you score a few more points higher on the LSAT you could be looking at a big scholarship from BC.


Yeah, the money is why I wasn't sure. I've already taken twice and can't seem to crack it. But I'm thinking of retaking in June a third time to see if I can do better before committing to go somewhere in the fall.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1225
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Worth a Hail Mary to BC?

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:31 pm

Can't hurt to try but please do yourself a huge favor and reapply early in the Fall. I can see you being admitted with a significant amount of $.

radon5

New
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:52 pm

Re: Worth a Hail Mary to BC?

Postby radon5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:34 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Can't hurt to try but please do yourself a huge favor and reapply early in the Fall. I can see you being admitted with a significant amount of $.


Thank you. Would you think that with my current stats or only if I got up to something like a 165+?

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1225
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Worth a Hail Mary to BC?

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:38 pm

radon5 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Can't hurt to try but please do yourself a huge favor and reapply early in the Fall. I can see you being admitted with a significant amount of $.


Thank you. Would you think that with my current stats or only if I got up to something like a 165+?


You currently have accept/waitlist numbers right now. I think that if you applied right now, you'll be waitlisted. If you applied with the same stats in October, you'll be accepted with some scholarship.

Not even 165+, even if you get a 163, which is only like 4 more correct answers on the LSAT, you'll get a SIGNIFICANT scholarship bump.

radon5

New
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:52 pm

Re: Worth a Hail Mary to BC?

Postby radon5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:52 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
radon5 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Can't hurt to try but please do yourself a huge favor and reapply early in the Fall. I can see you being admitted with a significant amount of $.


Thank you. Would you think that with my current stats or only if I got up to something like a 165+?


You currently have accept/waitlist numbers right now. I think that if you applied right now, you'll be waitlisted. If you applied with the same stats in October, you'll be accepted with some scholarship.

Not even 165+, even if you get a 163, which is only like 4 more correct answers on the LSAT, you'll get a SIGNIFICANT scholarship bump.


Well that seems doable with the chunk of time I have between now and June. Shoot for higher obviously but know even a 163 would do me a lot of favors. Should've thought of all this sooner.

radon5

New
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:52 pm

Re: Worth a Hail Mary to BC?

Postby radon5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:44 pm

Separate thought but does BC have any placement power in NYC? I've looked at the employment numbers I could find and figured that NYC big law out of BC is probably not in the cards, but what about mid to small size firms in NYC? If I'm missing employment data that would show me that, sorry. I was thinking the answer would be more based on anecdotal experience/knowledge

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Worth a Hail Mary to BC?

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:17 pm

Eh even if you snagged it, it'd be way too expensive.
If you want BC/BU or another strong northeast regional, you need to retake and reapply.

Moneytrees

Silver
Posts: 792
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: Worth a Hail Mary to BC?

Postby Moneytrees » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:39 pm

radon5 wrote:Separate thought but does BC have any placement power in NYC? I've looked at the employment numbers I could find and figured that NYC big law out of BC is probably not in the cards, but what about mid to small size firms in NYC? If I'm missing employment data that would show me that, sorry. I was thinking the answer would be more based on anecdotal experience/knowledge


BC doesn't do great in NY but it might be due to self-selection. Most people at BC are looking to live in Boston or New England.

I wouldn't go to BC if the goal is to end up in NYC but with good grades (maybe top 25%, 20%) you'd have a shot at working in Manhattan.

Augy1

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:05 pm

Re: Worth a Hail Mary to BC?

Postby Augy1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:40 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
radon5 wrote:Separate thought but does BC have any placement power in NYC? I've looked at the employment numbers I could find and figured that NYC big law out of BC is probably not in the cards, but what about mid to small size firms in NYC? If I'm missing employment data that would show me that, sorry. I was thinking the answer would be more based on anecdotal experience/knowledge


BC doesn't do great in NY but it might be due to self-selection. Most people at BC are looking to live in Boston or New England.

I wouldn't go to BC if the goal is to end up in NYC but with good grades (maybe top 25%, 20%) you'd have a shot at working in Manhattan.



Can anyone else shed some light on this? Also interested. Currently deciding between Fordham and BC. Anyone know why Fordham isn't even ranked on ATL?

Moneytrees

Silver
Posts: 792
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: Worth a Hail Mary to BC?

Postby Moneytrees » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:42 pm

Augy1 wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
radon5 wrote:Separate thought but does BC have any placement power in NYC? I've looked at the employment numbers I could find and figured that NYC big law out of BC is probably not in the cards, but what about mid to small size firms in NYC? If I'm missing employment data that would show me that, sorry. I was thinking the answer would be more based on anecdotal experience/knowledge


BC doesn't do great in NY but it might be due to self-selection. Most people at BC are looking to live in Boston or New England.

I wouldn't go to BC if the goal is to end up in NYC but with good grades (maybe top 25%, 20%) you'd have a shot at working in Manhattan.



Can anyone else shed some light on this? Also interested. Currently deciding between Fordham and BC. Anyone know why Fordham isn't even ranked on ATL?


Because ATL's ranking considers cost of attendance and Fordham has a really high cost of attendance.

onecallthats all

Bronze
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:23 am

Re: Worth a Hail Mary to BC?

Postby onecallthats all » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:29 pm

radon5 wrote:I applied a bit broadly but didn't realize until recently that Boston College would fit well with my interest of ending up in the Northeast. Would it be worth it to apply now before the 3/31 deadline? Stats are 3.7 160, which seems to be okay with their various percentiles.

I'm not big law or bust but would obviously work as hard as I could wherever I am to try to get big law. Primarily interested in business litigation and not really any PI tracks. Thanks.


I applied on January 4th with a 161/3.6 and was waitlisted. If you apply now, I can almost guarantee that you will be WL. Retake the LSAT or reapply early next year. (I personally am considering both)



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests