Debating Postponing Law School - Not Traditional Student

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NonTradiontalFool

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:54 am

Debating Postponing Law School - Not Traditional Student

Postby NonTradiontalFool » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:13 am

Deleted - no longer relevant
Last edited by NonTradiontalFool on Mon May 15, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Debating Postponing Law School - Not Traditional Student

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:25 am

Yes, good idea, do that. Shoot for 180. 175+ is definitely realistic.

NonTradiontalFool

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:54 am

Re: Debating Postponing Law School - Not Traditional Student

Postby NonTradiontalFool » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:00 pm

Alexandros wrote:Yes, good idea, do that. Shoot for 180. 175+ is definitely realistic.


Thanks, Alexandros.
I do think, with a high degree of certainty, I could pull off a 173+.
Question is, then, is it worth it? I wonder if my 3.3 Undergrad GPA might make getting scholarships from a top school unlikely - in which case I would have lost a year (as far as getting law school knocked out). My transcripts look peculiar because I had life F!@# up one semester, so it looks something like "A, A, A, A, A, A, F, F, F, B, B, A..."

My current top full priced option is Michigan.
At this point, I'm leaning toward Vanderbilt or Emory with the majority of my tuition covered by scholarship and just going for it.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3466
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Debating Postponing Law School - Not Traditional Student

Postby UVA2B » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Why did you change your goals for the degree because your admissions optioned improved? It seems like you pulled a complete 180 from, "eh, just need the degree to get that bonus in a job I like" to "Whoa, I could get into some pretty sweet schools and get out of dodge!" I'm not saying your goals shouldn't have changed, but it seems a bit odd that you started with your mindset, but then completely departed from it.

You can absolutely retake and reapply for some better options. With a 170+, you could be looking at significant price reductions from the lower T13, even with your 3.3 GPA.

Please explain exactly what your goals are for this degree.

User avatar
half moon

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:01 am

Re: Debating Postponing Law School - Not Traditional Student

Postby half moon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:09 pm

NonTradiontalFool wrote:I'm a non-traditional student. I'm a military veteran with a solid career looking to tack on a legal degree to supplement that career. Long story short, a crappy legal degree is worth ~$40k extra salary annually in my field, and a quality one opens up a lot of opportunities for even higher gains. Professionally, I'm a highly competent go-getter, so I anticipate it being well work the investment for me in the long run.

I have a graduate degree already, as well as solid professional credentials, but not a strong GPA (3.3 undergrad, 3.7 grad) and intended to attend a local state school's evening program while continuing to work. As such, I spent 3 weeks studying after work and took the LSAT.

I got a 168, which is where the problem starts. It was a good enough score that I expanded my applications to see what options would be available.

I applied to regional in-state schools' full time programs (got full scholarships offered), T25 schools (got 75% tuition offered), and T14 schools (got some admits, some rejections, and some wait lists but no scholarships).

I'm debating taking another year off to retake the LSAT to get better offers. If I can get a 168 with 3 weeks of evening self-study, I am certain I can pull off a much better score with more prep. But 1. it's really tough to juggle work and studying and 2. pushing 35 years old, I'm eager to dive into law school and knock it out.

Any thoughts? Realistically, what could I expect to score on the LSAT with more time spent on prep and what would that do for me?


You said you're looking to stay in your field. Are you also looking to stay at your company, or return to your company after graduation? If you have a job and a promotion already lined up for after you graduate, going to a strong regional school like Vanderbilt with a big scholarship would probably be a better option than going T14 with limited money due to your GPA.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Debating Postponing Law School - Not Traditional Student

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:15 pm

NonTradiontalFool wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Yes, good idea, do that. Shoot for 180. 175+ is definitely realistic.


Thanks, Alexandros.
I do think, with a high degree of certainty, I could pull off a 173+.
Question is, then, is it worth it? I wonder if my 3.3 Undergrad GPA might make getting scholarships from a top school unlikely - in which case I would have lost a year (as far as getting law school knocked out). My transcripts look peculiar because I had life F!@# up one semester, so it looks something like "A, A, A, A, A, A, F, F, F, B, B, A..."

My current top full priced option is Michigan.
At this point, I'm leaning toward Vanderbilt or Emory with the majority of my tuition covered by scholarship and just going for it.

A 3.3 GPA will make it more difficult, but definitely still realistic with some negotiating, and a higher LSAT will make it much easier. You'll also likely get bigger $ from the t20 - I think WUSTL often gives out big money to high LSATs.

I would also write a GPA addendum on the life fuck-up if possible.

NonTradiontalFool

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:54 am

Re: Debating Postponing Law School - Not Traditional Student

Postby NonTradiontalFool » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:24 pm

Deleted - no longer relevant
Last edited by NonTradiontalFool on Mon May 15, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3466
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Debating Postponing Law School - Not Traditional Student

Postby UVA2B » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:28 pm

NonTradiontalFool wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Why did you change your goals for the degree because your admissions optioned improved? It seems like you pulled a complete 180 from, "eh, just need the degree to get that bonus in a job I like" to "Whoa, I could get into some pretty sweet schools and get out of dodge!" I'm not saying your goals shouldn't have changed, but it seems a bit odd that you started with your mindset, but then completely departed from it.

You can absolutely retake and reapply for some better options. With a 170+, you could be looking at significant price reductions from the lower T13, even with your 3.3 GPA.

Please explain exactly what your goals are for this degree.


It's simple really. Some people are driven by the money, and let's be real - that's important.

But I'm also driven by challenges, ambition, new opportunities, a need to make a meaningful and positive difference, and a desire to excel.

I have a good career thing going but I'm not married to it. I'd take a pay cut to be able to do something new just for the novelty - within reason. For the chance to make a real, meaningful difference, I'd take an unreasonable pay cut.

In short, it's my initial reasoning that was malleable. The rest is just... me.


Ok, that's all well and good, but what are your goals for the degree? What kind of job do you want to get with it? Have you thought through the types of "challenges, ambition, new opportunities" you want? Do you want to work for a Biglaw firm? Does federal government interest you? Where would you like to end up geographically following graduation?

Law school isn't simply a place to search for challenges and ill-defined desires to excel. It's a place to get an education that will allow you to practice in the law. You're not buying an intellectual challenge; you're investing in your eventual career. What do you think that will look like for you?



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests