Early advice about application timing

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hypernormal

New

Early advice about application timing

Postby hypernormal » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:32 pm

I'm a non-URM current college junior at a "public Ivy". LSAT 173, GPA around 3.85 by graduation. I applied early to Teach for America and got an offer that I'm planning on accepting, so I have at least three years until I enter law school. My question is whether or not I should apply next cycle with the intent to defer for two years, or wait longer to apply.

I wasn't planning on applying during the 2017-18 cycle until Harvard announced it would start accepting the GRE. I think that my numbers might put me in an unusually strong position this coming cycle given that HLS's LSAT median could easily rise from 172 back to 173, but I also see a lot of value in waiting to write my personal statement until I've had real work experience. Would I be missing an opportunity if I waited to apply to HLS until a few years from now? I'd also love to go to Y or S, but my chances are a lot slimmer there and their applications aren't changing dramatically like Harvard's is, so H is my focus in making the decision of when to apply. Any advice is appreciated.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Early advice about application timing

Postby UVA2B » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:35 pm

Do TFA. Law school will be waiting for you on the other end.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:05 am

Don't apply and defer. Your priorities may change, and a 173 coupled with your GPA will always be golden.

hypernormal

New

Postby hypernormal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:33 am

Thanks for the advice, guys. I feel a lot more confident about applying after TFA now.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:08 am

As long as that LSAT is still good when you apply, then do not do it now.

hypernormal

New

Postby hypernormal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:30 pm

jjcorvino wrote:As long as that LSAT is still good when you apply, then do not do it now.

Yeah, I took it this past September, so it's good well beyond my second year of TFA. Thanks.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�