Report race, or don't report race

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GoLandcrabs

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:07 am

Re: Report race, or don't report race

Postby GoLandcrabs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
GoLandcrabs wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
GoLandcrabs wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
GoLandcrabs wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think you should answer honestly, but if you don't want to answer, don't. It's not going to give you a boost though - they don't get to report non-reporters in any of the URM categories.

Of course not. But when they report race, are they not judged on what percent is white? Do schools have "not stated" percentage when giving their stats, or are they excluded.

Because if they do that, it might make the % URM of the class go up a little, even if there isn't an actual additional URM.

No, there'd be a white percentage, a URM percentage, and a "did not disclose" percentage. Lawyers and people who track these kinds of statistics are nothing if not precise.

Generally the option not to report is to allow people who don't identify as any of the given categories not to have to list something they're not, or for an applicant to basically say "I don't want you to consider this in my application."

Alright, if they don't do that, there is no functional difference, so I may as well do either.


You clearly don't get it.

Are you actually that unconfident in your credentials to get into law schools, or do you really need to game the system in the most petty/unnecessary way possible. Perhaps your time is better spent crafting that amazing Diversity Statement.

I'm not unconfident at all, I just admitted there's no point to doing it - I'd only do it if there is an advantage to.

Pretty sure the school wouldn't much care for a Diversity statement from me, so I'll pass.


You clearly still don't get it lol

The 2017 TLS "Most Likely to Rip out pages from library books" Award goes to: Golandcrabs

So is your argument that even if it did help me, it wouldn't do much and would hurt me more than help me?

perhaps I am too stupid to understand

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Report race, or don't report race

Postby zot1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:06 pm

I feel so inconfident with my own credentials that I will try to pretend to be URM so adcomms might think I've gone through the same struggles and let me in.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29316
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Report race, or don't report race

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:09 pm

Dude, people are reacting this way because It's considered really scummy to try to game the URM boost if you're white.

GoLandcrabs

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:07 am

Re: Report race, or don't report race

Postby GoLandcrabs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:09 pm

zot1 wrote:I feel so inconfident with my own credentials that I will try to pretend to be URM so adcomms might think I've gone through the same struggles and let me in.

viewtopic.php?t=154208

I was just trying to find out the same info as this guy, and whether or not it was worth it to do it. the answer was no, don't see why this equates to unconfidence.

GoLandcrabs

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:07 am

Re: Report race, or don't report race

Postby GoLandcrabs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:11 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Dude, people are reacting this way because It's considered really scummy to try to game the URM boost if you're white.

Alright, fine, I won't then. I wasn't aware there was an ethics to this other than things that actually broke the rules, which this doesn't.

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Report race, or don't report race

Postby zot1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:13 pm

GoLandcrabs wrote:
zot1 wrote:I feel so inconfident with my own credentials that I will try to pretend to be URM so adcomms might think I've gone through the same struggles and let me in.

viewtopic.php?t=154208

I was just trying to find out the same info as this guy, and whether or not it was worth it to do it. the answer was no, don't see why this equates to unconfidence.


How can you not see how petty this is?

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Report race, or don't report race

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:14 pm

Sigh.

Or maybe stop trying to be ambigous with the full intention to gain some sort of URM advantage...thus stealing a seat away from an ACTUAL URM. Leaving that section blank is for people whose race doesn't fit into any of the categories on that list and so they wont get offended having to put down a race they're not... not for wiseguys like you to deceivingly keep that ambiguous.

It's hilarious that you think that answering the question honestly and with good faith is so hard...yet want to be a lawyer. You should forget law school and apply to be Sean Spicer's deputy.

GoLandcrabs

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:07 am

Re: Report race, or don't report race

Postby GoLandcrabs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:17 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Sigh.

Or maybe stop trying to be ambigous with the full intention to gain some sort of URM advantage...thus stealing a seat away from an ACTUAL URM. Leaving that section blank is for people whose race doesn't fit into any of the categories on that list and so they wont get offended having to put down a race they're not... not for wiseguys like you to deceivingly keep that ambiguous.

It's hilarious that you think that answering the question honestly and with good faith is so hard...yet want to be a lawyer. You should forget law school and apply to be Sean Spicer's deputy.

Well I did stop, so I don't know why the flaming is keeping on, though I don't see how to would "steal" a seat since they wouldn't treat a DNS as a URM under any scenario.

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Report race, or don't report race

Postby zot1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:18 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:You should forget law school and apply to be Sean Spicer's deputy.


Cold but well-deserved. Last thing we need is more attorneys who feed into the lawyer jokes.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Report race, or don't report race

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:22 pm

GoLandcrabs wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Sigh.

Or maybe stop trying to be ambigous with the full intention to gain some sort of URM advantage...thus stealing a seat away from an ACTUAL URM. Leaving that section blank is for people whose race doesn't fit into any of the categories on that list and so they wont get offended having to put down a race they're not... not for wiseguys like you to deceivingly keep that ambiguous.

It's hilarious that you think that answering the question honestly and with good faith is so hard...yet want to be a lawyer. You should forget law school and apply to be Sean Spicer's deputy.

Well I did stop, so I don't know why the flaming is keeping on, though I don't see how to would "steal" a seat since they wouldn't treat a DNS as a URM under any scenario.


Because you add responses like this that clearly reveal to everyone how hard law school/life will be for you.

GoLandcrabs

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:07 am

Re: Report race, or don't report race

Postby GoLandcrabs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:23 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
GoLandcrabs wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Sigh.

Or maybe stop trying to be ambigous with the full intention to gain some sort of URM advantage...thus stealing a seat away from an ACTUAL URM. Leaving that section blank is for people whose race doesn't fit into any of the categories on that list and so they wont get offended having to put down a race they're not... not for wiseguys like you to deceivingly keep that ambiguous.

It's hilarious that you think that answering the question honestly and with good faith is so hard...yet want to be a lawyer. You should forget law school and apply to be Sean Spicer's deputy.

Well I did stop, so I don't know why the flaming is keeping on, though I don't see how to would "steal" a seat since they wouldn't treat a DNS as a URM under any scenario.


Because you add responses like this that clearly reveal to everyone how hard law school/life will be for you.

Well, how would I "steal" a seat from a URM? Is anyone entitled to a law school education?

User avatar
emkay625

Gold
Posts: 1987
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Report race, or don't report race

Postby emkay625 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:26 pm

Here's the deal. Minorities are treated TERRIBLY in this country. White privilege is a real thing. Being white awards you so many advantages that minorities do not receive. It's ridiculous.

And this is the ONE area they get a leg up, and you wanna try to get in on some of that action, too?

No. Don't. It's terrible. You're white. Say you're white. I'm sure you don't care about this, but I will think you are a terrible person if you do this.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Report race, or don't report race

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:26 pm

GoLandcrabs wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
GoLandcrabs wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Sigh.

Or maybe stop trying to be ambigous with the full intention to gain some sort of URM advantage...thus stealing a seat away from an ACTUAL URM. Leaving that section blank is for people whose race doesn't fit into any of the categories on that list and so they wont get offended having to put down a race they're not... not for wiseguys like you to deceivingly keep that ambiguous.

It's hilarious that you think that answering the question honestly and with good faith is so hard...yet want to be a lawyer. You should forget law school and apply to be Sean Spicer's deputy.

Well I did stop, so I don't know why the flaming is keeping on, though I don't see how to would "steal" a seat since they wouldn't treat a DNS as a URM under any scenario.


Because you add responses like this that clearly reveal to everyone how hard law school/life will be for you.

Well, how would I "steal" a seat from a URM? Is anyone entitled to a law school education?


Well...you clearly made this thread becaues you were wondering if it could give you an advantage.

Okay, so if I forged a Military Veteran's ID and received GI Bill funding for law school, that's okay, right? It's not like a real vet is getting less money because of me...not exactly the same situation but your intentions are basically the same as this.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Report race, or don't report race

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:27 pm

emkay625 wrote:Here's the deal. Minorities are treated TERRIBLY in this country. White privilege is a real thing. Being white awards you so many advantages that minorities do not receive. It's ridiculous.

And this is the ONE area they get a leg up, and you wanna try to get in on some of that action, too?

No. Don't. It's terrible. You're white. Say you're white. I'm sure you don't care about this, but I will think you are a terrible person if you do this.


Well written but I have a great feeling OP is not going to comprehend this.

GoLandcrabs

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:07 am

Re: Report race, or don't report race

Postby GoLandcrabs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
GoLandcrabs wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
GoLandcrabs wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Sigh.

Or maybe stop trying to be ambigous with the full intention to gain some sort of URM advantage...thus stealing a seat away from an ACTUAL URM. Leaving that section blank is for people whose race doesn't fit into any of the categories on that list and so they wont get offended having to put down a race they're not... not for wiseguys like you to deceivingly keep that ambiguous.

It's hilarious that you think that answering the question honestly and with good faith is so hard...yet want to be a lawyer. You should forget law school and apply to be Sean Spicer's deputy.

Well I did stop, so I don't know why the flaming is keeping on, though I don't see how to would "steal" a seat since they wouldn't treat a DNS as a URM under any scenario.


Because you add responses like this that clearly reveal to everyone how hard law school/life will be for you.

Well, how would I "steal" a seat from a URM? Is anyone entitled to a law school education?


Well...you clearly made this thread becaues you were wondering if it could give you an advantage.

Okay, so if I forged a Military Veteran's ID and received GI Bill funding for law school, that's okay, right? It's not like a real vet is getting less money because of me...not exactly the same situation but your intentions are basically the same as this.

But in that case you are committing criminal fraud, it's not at all comparable.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29316
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Report race, or don't report race

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:29 pm

I don't think this needs to get discussed further.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests