Defer or Reapply? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
emrekhan

New

Defer or Reapply?

Post by emrekhan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:51 pm

I applied this cycle with a ~3.7 and an LSAT above all 75th’s. I graduated last year and have been working abroad. I applied to law school this cycle after receiving my LSAT score in October. Before receiving the score, the only other thing I had done was contact my professors for recommendations. I turned everything around in about a month to apply early.
When I applied I was pretty naive to the process and unsure of what I wanted to do. I just wanted to go to the best school possible.

My cycle has gone relatively typically given my stats. Dinged at S, Waiting on a ding from Y, in at H, WL at Chicago, in at CN MP and D, (didn’t apply to UVA, don’t ask me why) and dinged at Berk.

Money-wise I’ve received a decent amount from Michigan and Duke, still waiting on Penn and Columbia (no named scholarship) and NYU gave me some but less than half.

Meanwhile, I have realized that I would like to stay abroad for another year. I didn’t think that it would be a possibility and the beginning of this cycle which is why I applied.

If I were to defer, at this point I think I would defer H, given that I would lose all scholarship negotiation at schools which have offered me money.

My goals would be to do litigation, clerk and then go into academia ( I know, lofty goals.) I’m not opposed to big law but I’m not sure how long I’d make it. Harvard gives me the best opportunities to reach my goals out of the options I have, but I’m afraid of the debt. Also, I’m not sure the incremental advantage H gives is worth it.

Given all this, does it make sense to reapply next year? How do schools look at applicants who reapply after already being accepted? Given my stats, do you think that I’ve maxed out my outcomes?

theboringest

Bronze

Re: Defer or Reapply?

Post by theboringest » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:18 pm

The question you need to ask yourself is if reapplying is going to improve your outcomes. You could potentially get more money next cycle but that's no guarantee. So if you think you cfan improve your app, maybe. Idk how schools look at reapplicants though, that's for someone else (Spivey maybe) to answer.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:29 pm

Given your goals I wouldn't wait since Harvard is likely your best option. You're flying blindly with their new acceptance policy re: GRE. Ask them if you can defer if you'll send in your deposit. If they say no just accept it and go. Don't wait imo.

But that's your call obviously.
Last edited by AJordan on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Well what would you pick with your options now? If you would always pick Harvard over your financial aid offers at other schools then defer at Harvard since I don't see your scholarships increasing substantially and imo it's not worth throwing everything away to take another probably fruitless crack at S & Y.

Also note that plans and priorities can change. Maybe in a year you'll want to take the money. Be completely comfortable with your goals before you lock yourself into Harvard since you would have to sit out all of next year if you want to back out of the deferral.

When you say litigation, are you thinking in a Biglaw context or PI?

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:17 pm

emrekhan wrote: If I were to defer, at this point I think I would defer H, given that I would lose all scholarship negotiation at schools which have offered me money.
What makes you say this? There are definitely circumstances where people have deferred on the grounds that they would receive even greater scholarship the next year. There is a benefit to some schools to have a 175+ on the books, and to pay greatly for it before day 1 of the next cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:46 am

saf18hornet wrote:
emrekhan wrote: If I were to defer, at this point I think I would defer H, given that I would lose all scholarship negotiation at schools which have offered me money.
What makes you say this? There are definitely circumstances where people have deferred on the grounds that they would receive even greater scholarship the next year. There is a benefit to some schools to have a 175+ on the books, and to pay greatly for it before day 1 of the next cycle.
Because students who defer admission are basically like ED students to that school; they've signed a contract agreeing that they're not going to attend another school next cycle. So the chances of a higher scholarship are slim, since the school has no real motivation to increase the offer.

Now, just withdrawing and reapplying earlier in the cycle can increase scholarship offers, but deferrals aren't the same.

emrekhan

New

Post by emrekhan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:12 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
Because students who defer admission are basically like ED students to that school; they've signed a contract agreeing that they're not going to attend another school next cycle. So the chances of a higher scholarship are slim, since the school has no real motivation to increase the offer.

Now, just withdrawing and reapplying earlier in the cycle can increase scholarship offers, but deferrals aren't the same.
Cav what do you think about reapplying given my situation

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:44 pm

I think it's up to you. You're already getting good results, and I don't think you'd see a significant difference applying next cycle. I'd probably just go with what you have (after negotiating scholarships up, of course), because I think financial aid is unpredictable. Better to go with a good scholarship offer now than risk losing it next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”