$$$ Does Take the Money and Run apply to WUSTL? $$$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gargleblaster

$$$ Does Take the Money and Run apply to WUSTL? $$$

Postby gargleblaster » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:01 am

So heres my situation:

-Accepted to WUSTL with the big scholly - they're offering to pay me to go there - full scholly + stipend.

- From Cali, generally want to work in Cali - ok with general Biglaw anywhere
- have an in with a Cali Biglaw firm, would likely be able to get a job there without really being the top student at WUSTL

- In at a few T-14's with schollys that make tuition ~20k for each - waiting on some others (random distribution of everything but HYS)

- WUSTL wants a committment soon (likely before other schollys can be negotiated up enough)

- Is going to a T-14 (or 13 whatev) worth about 90k + interest + origination fees over WUSTL?

Am I just a stupid OL that is blinded by prestige? Is the brand name of say Michigan or Northwestern worth 90k over WUSTL?
I don't really feel like I have a good grasp of it here.

I feel like i could be happy in STL for a few years, and I feel like I'll get as good of a legal education there as anywhere - its really just an employment/prestige question at this point.

What would you do?

Moneytrees

Re: $$$ Does Take the Money and Run apply to WUSTL? $$$

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:32 am

If you want to work in California, why not aim for Berkeley, UCLA or USC? A substantial scholarship to UCLA/USC is probably better than a full ride to WUSL if the ultimate goal is to work in California. WUSLT's biglaw numbers are pretty weak so if you are biglaw or bust it's probably better to attend Michigan or Northwestern, though it might be hard to nab California Biglaw out of those schools.

AJordan

Postby AJordan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:52 am

I caution you about relying too much on your "in" at a certain firm. Might be better to view that as a networking lead to massage in hopes of a 2L summer offer. You may be doing this so apologies if I'm being presumptive.

Aside from that it feels like your true goal is biglaw somewhere in which case I would go to Northwestern though UM isn't a bad option for those costs. COL in Ann Arbor isn't too bad either.

Agree with the previous poster as well. If you really want to stay in Cali I think you leverage into Boalt/UCLA/USC and let the rest fall by the wayside. If you're prioritizing biglaw I think NU is the choice. WUSTL for free is a great option but I don't think it gets you where you really want to be on either path.

gargleblaster

Postby gargleblaster » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:45 am

AJordan wrote:I caution you about relying too much on your "in" at a certain firm. Might be better to view that as a networking lead to massage in hopes of a 2L summer offer. You may be doing this so apologies if I'm being presumptive.

Aside from that it feels like your true goal is biglaw somewhere in which case I would go to Northwestern though UM isn't a bad option for those costs. COL in Ann Arbor isn't too bad either.

Agree with the previous poster as well. If you really want to stay in Cali I think you leverage into Boalt/UCLA/USC and let the rest fall by the wayside. If you're prioritizing biglaw I think NU is the choice. WUSTL for free is a great option but I don't think it gets you where you really want to be on either path.

I'm definitely reticient about relying on my "in" - I fully recognize that business needs and other factors could make that dry up in an instant, otherwise I'd be at WUSTL in a heartbeat. If my dad was a partner, it wouldn't matter where i go to school, but he's not so i have to hedge my bets a little bit.

I don't know how much NU will cost at this point, but Mich is looking pretty good for the price they're offering. I feel like WUSTL's offer is better than USC and UCLA's, and I've already tried to negotiate with them with no dice. Boalt is boalt, and not showing the $$ love (although they might, they just havent told like anyone yet)

Lawl_Schoolz

Postby Lawl_Schoolz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:56 am

With full tuition and stipend at WUSTL, the difference is going to be much larger than you estimated at Michigan (based on quick look at post history). At 120 at Michigan, you can expect to pay around 60+ in tuition, plus rent, food, etc. On the conservative side you're looking at probably 125k+ (this is on the conservative estimate of rent, food, etc.). That means its probably 150k more than WUSTL.

I think if your goal is Big Law, that is probably worth it. Michigan for 20k-ish in tuition is not a bad deal. Just be realistic and honest with yourself about the debt load.

goldenbear2020

Postby goldenbear2020 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:08 pm

Since you want biglaw, take the 20k annual tuition at a T13. For example, Northwestern places about twice as well as WUSTL (70% vs. 35% into biglaw/fedclerk).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”