Two W's on transcript?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
casskow12

Two W's on transcript?

Postby casskow12 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm debating whether to drop an upper-level history class I'm in. Professor is a very arbitrary grader and I've gotten B's on two papers that collectively constitute 55% of my grade. I have one other withdraw. The W's at my school are non-punitive. Is it worth it to take the extra W instead of getting a B? How would Ad Comms view two W's?

tinyvessels

Re: Two W's on transcript?

Postby tinyvessels » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Okay, just to get a better sense.
Did you miss the pass/fail deadline? What's your current GPA? And are you a junior or senior right now?

I don't see two Ws hurting you at all, especially if they are spread out and if your GPA is already pretty high, which I'm assuming it is by your aversion to Bs lol.

casskow12

Postby casskow12 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:44 pm

tinyvessels wrote:Okay, just to get a better sense.
Did you miss the pass/fail deadline? What's your current GPA? And are you a junior or senior right now?

I don't see two Ws hurting you at all, especially if they are spread out and if your GPA is already pretty high, which I'm assuming it is by your aversion to Bs lol.

Deadline is Friday. GPA is 3.8x and I'm a sophomore. Does that help?

TakeItToTrial

Postby TakeItToTrial » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:52 pm

I have a couple Ws on my transcript, and it doesn't seem to have affected my applications. However, the highest ranked school I applied to was a lower T-14.

tinyvessels

Postby tinyvessels » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Deadline is Friday. GPA is 3.8x and I'm a sophomore. Does that help?[/quote]

Oh, okay, I was assuming you were at least a junior. Like I said, a few Ws won't hurt. But I don't think you should make withdrawing a viable option every time you assume you won't be getting an A. You're still a sophomore, so the chances of you eventually dipping below an A are very real. Just my two cents - because if adcoms see a pattern of withdrawing from difficult classes as a patterns, I don't think that will reflect well on you.

However, if you think this class is an anomaly and not fairly measuring the work you are turning in, I can understand wanting to withdraw.

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:25 pm

Tag.
(OP - similar situation - 2 Ws, so I hope I'm not fucked. Be prepared to explain them, but when I asked consensus was it was better to have another W than fuck up your GPA with a poor grade.)

DKM

Postby DKM » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:45 pm

If the class isn't a requirement then I would take the W. Unfortunately I learned too late in my college career that the professor is more important than the subject or workload. If he's an arbitrary grader then gtfo of there before he/she decides to arbitrarily grade your final.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”