Internships/WE necessary for T13 Admission?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
emolumentary

Internships/WE necessary for T13 Admission?

Postby emolumentary » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:55 pm

Hey everybody--first post! I know this question varies somewhat based on the person, I'm above the 75th percentile of admits on GPA+LSAT at almost all of the t13, but I have virtually no relevant work experience or internships. How much does that matter? Maybe not so much for lower t13, but I imagine that could be the kind of stuff that makes the difference at HYS? (though I kinda prefer Columbia tbh). So basically my question is--what schools can a person get into with only great GPA/LSAT? I'm planning on getting an internship this summer btw.

More generally, how big of a role do factors other than GPA/LSAT play in admissions? If you have a great GPA and LSAT, does admissions even care about anything else? In which t13 schools would that be (or not be) the case?
Last edited by emolumentary on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pomeranian

Re: Internships/WE necessary for T14 Admission?

Postby Pomeranian » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:57 pm

It's T13 now (Not T-14) FYI.

mudiverse

Postby mudiverse » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:00 pm

Pomeranian wrote:It's T13 now (Not T-14) FYI.

Thank you for maintaining the standards of this respected image board.

In response to the OP, you are above both 75ths and so you will get accepted to the greater majority of your targets. A job will not make the difference unless it really is an outstanding gig, which if you have, you probably wouldn't be going to law school.

votebuilder1

Postby votebuilder1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:02 pm

emolumentary wrote:Hey everybod--first post! I know this question varies somewhat based on the person, I'm above the 75th percentile of admits on GPA+LSAT at almost all of the t14, but I have virtually no relevant work experience or internships. How much does that matter? Maybe not so much for lower t14, but I imagine that could be the kind of stuff that makes the difference at HYS? (though I kinda prefer Columbia tbh). So basically my question is--what schools can a person get into with only great GPA/LSAT? I'm planning on getting an internship this summer btw.

More generally, how big of a role do factors other than GPA/LSAT play in admissions? If you have a great GPA and LSAT, does admissions even care about anything else? In which t14 schools would that be (or not be) the case?

90% of Northwestern students have at least one year of work experience. NU is unique in that regard.

I think at the rest of the T14s work experience can only help, but not having work experience can't really hurt if you're 75> GPA/LSAT.

Speaking personally, 'softs' (factors outside the GPA/LSAT) are great if you're a splitter. Admissions absolutely cares about non-LSAT/GPA items, but those are the big 2.

emolumentary

Postby emolumentary » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:11 pm

Pomeranian wrote:It's T13 now (Not T-14) FYI.

lol poor GULC

mudiverse wrote:In response to the OP, you are above both 75ths and so you will get accepted to the greater majority of your targets. A job will not make the difference unless it really is an outstanding gig, which if you have, you probably wouldn't be going to law school.

votebuilder1 wrote:I think at the rest of the T14s work experience can only help, but not having work experience can't really hurt if you're 75> GPA/LSAT.

Thanks that's super helpful! Now I can continue my quest toward t13* without having to work for it. lol.

grades??

Postby grades?? » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:14 pm

OP seriously edit the title, it is the t13 now.

Legallylawyer2020

Re: Internships/WE necessary for T13 Admission?

Postby Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:18 am

I highly doubt you'll get HYS without work experience as well.

canafsa

Postby canafsa » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:37 pm

Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dianersg

Postby dianersg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:48 pm

For reference, I have been admitted at every T13 I applied to including Columbia as a K-JD with numbers at or above most 75ths with only one summer internship that wasn't law related or even that impressive. In terms of admission, I don't think my lack of experience has hurt me at all, but I think it could have helped a bit with scholarships if I had work experience. I also have a friend at H who was admitted with no work experience or even an internship. Anecdotal, but in my experience you can do well in T13 with no work experience.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”