2018 USNWR Rankings

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
guynourmin

Gold

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby guynourmin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:23 am

jjcorvino wrote:if the best law school in the country was bumblefuck Kentucky state university, wouldn't you be a bit peeved when nobody knows what it is when it comes up in conversations. Would be a bit tiring that everyone assumes you are a slacker or an idiot.

This is faulty as hell! If you want to be impressive, wouldn't you rather be impressive to people who know what you're being impressive about? Who gives a shit what your next door neighbor doesn't know about the strength of some random grad program. In philosophy, for example, Rutgers and Pittsburgh have 2 of the strongest programs in the world (top 5-10). no one choosing Pitt is bummed they aren't going to UPenn - they probably didn't even apply to UPenn!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:28 am

guybourdin wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:if the best law school in the country was bumblefuck Kentucky state university, wouldn't you be a bit peeved when nobody knows what it is when it comes up in conversations. Would be a bit tiring that everyone assumes you are a slacker or an idiot.

This is faulty as hell! If you want to be impressive, wouldn't you rather be impressive to people who know what you're being impressive about? Who gives a shit what your next door neighbor doesn't know about the strength of some random grad program. In philosophy, for example, Rutgers and Pittsburgh have 2 of the strongest programs in the world (top 5-10). no one choosing Pitt is bummed they aren't going to UPenn - they probably didn't even apply to UPenn!

No 18-year-old college applicant is choosing Pitt over Penn because s/he is just so interested in a specific school of philosophy. Not sure if your post is being sarcastic or not.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:28 am

jjcorvino wrote:Why are people so pissy about the prestige conversation? Obviously it doesn't actually matter, but it's a fun topic. I mean, everyone of course says that they don't care at all about prestige, but if the best law school in the country was bumblefuck Kentucky state university, wouldn't you be a bit peeved when nobody knows what it is when it comes up in conversations. Would be a bit tiring that everyone assumes you are a slacker or an idiot.

I understand that lawyers and law students have a stereotype/legitimate tendency to be pretentious AF, and I get that discussing the "prestige as viewed by a commoner" is pretty pretentious, but at the same time I'm bored and it's interesting. It's not like we're going to go out and find someone to ask "you're a blue collar worker, what do you think is the best law school" and then laugh at them if they get it wrong.

Reddit had a whole thread on Law Schools ranked by attractiveness of students, this argument can't be as bad as that one.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:29 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Reddit had a whole thread on Law Schools ranked by attractiveness of students, this argument can't be as bad as that one.

Who won?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:29 am

jjcorvino wrote:Why are people so pissy about the prestige conversation? Obviously it doesn't actually matter, but it's a fun topic. I mean, everyone of course says that they don't care at all about prestige, but if the best law school in the country was bumblefuck Kentucky state university, wouldn't you be a bit peeved when nobody knows what it is when it comes up in conversations. Would be a bit tiring that everyone assumes you are a slacker or an idiot.

I'm a proud alum of Kentucky State University School of Law and I find this highly offenseive. Go Thorobreds!
Last edited by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:31 am

Rigo wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Reddit had a whole thread on Law Schools ranked by attractiveness of students, this argument can't be as bad as that one.

Who won?

I still think the most cringeworthy thread was on TLS...the "is it easier to hook up if I go to a more pretigious law school" post...

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:33 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Reddit TLS had a whole thread on Law Schools ranked by attractiveness of students

hth

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:45 am

Hikikomorist wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

No 18-year-old college applicant is choosing Pitt over Penn because s/he is just so interested in a specific school of philosophy. Not sure if your post is being sarcastic or not.

We're talking about graduate programs.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:57 am

guybourdin wrote:

Maybe it is petty of me, but I actually do care a bit about what people think of me. Like I said, ultimately it doesn't really affect my life but it feel good when people recognize accomplishments.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:01 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Maybe it is petty of me, but I actually do care a bit about what people think of me. Like I said, ultimately it doesn't really affect my life but it feel good when people recognize accomplishments.

Sounds tiring. I can't really sympathize. I guess if you know thats what you want, you can pursue your goals on your terms, at least!

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:03 pm

Rigo wrote:

Who won?

I'm sure it was UChicago

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:04 pm

somedeadman wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Who won?

I'm sure it was UChicago

:lol:

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:09 pm

I'm very close to my undergrad and law school communities. I really don't think I would get the same sense of pride if I had gone to Regent School of Law (making up this name) and that matters to me. It doesn't have to matter to anyone else, but to many people, your associations determine a lot of opportunities in the future. And this isn't just about work, btw.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:20 pm

If you don't enjoy arguing about prestige, why did you even go to law school?

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:39 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Reddit TLS had a whole thread on Law Schools ranked by attractiveness of students

hth

hegotmoneyyyyy

New

Postby hegotmoneyyyyy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:28 pm

This is not relevant to the actual topic of the conversation but... Duke as the automatic team to come to mind as the best basketball program? Lol. No.[/quote]

...who has the best basketball program then?

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:29 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:Okay, when I talk about lay prestige, I'm talking about the average college graduate - roughly the median of people I've interacted substantively with throughout life. Looking back over previous posts, I noticed someone else cited an informal survey of seven people, with five being blue-collar workers. Not to be a dick, but I'm fine conceding those people might know almost nothing about college rankings (not agreeing - just admitting ignorance). They're not what comes to mind when I think of lay prestige.

First, I'm not sure the wholly ignorant segment makes up the majority. I also think there's a reasonable argument for discounting how heavily we weight certain views in calculating lay prestige. It doesn't seem like a lot of those people really have any opinions at all regarding college prestige, and weighting their opinions equally against people who have actual opinions doesn't seem like the absolutely right approach. As an analogy, most people couldn't name the three-star Michelin restaurants in the U.S., but I think it would still be fair to use that list as a proxy for restaurant lay prestige.

This is fun.

Pretty random way to define lay prestige tbh.

Yeah, it's not really lay prestige, it's "people who think like I do" prestige. The whole point of lay prestige is that it's uninformed.

That's not really fair, it's the "people I'm most likely going to name drop my law school to" prestige. Hiko is assuming that they probably won't be talking law school much with a midwest blue collar worker. Their substantive base line (or layperson) has a college degree and probably a white collar job. Does it immediately give away a coastal elite? probably. But it's a reasonable argument to make.

Same thing with the "International Rankings"; probably never going to talk to someone outside the US about what law school I went to, so why would their opinion matter.

Of course, at the end of the day, the opinion of one of Hiko's laypeople won't matter either, and it's a terrible metric to make any sort of decision on, but if you're going to consider it at all might as well think in terms of your own experiences

I reckon most people don't sit around thinking about the ranking of law schools very often.

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Postby Rubbishdump » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:33 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

You can't enter a masters program at 18, bud.

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:34 pm

hegotmoneyyyyy wrote:This is not relevant to the actual topic of the conversation but... Duke as the automatic team to come to mind as the best basketball program? Lol. No.

...who has the best basketball program then?[/quote]

[+] Spoiler

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:36 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
hegotmoneyyyyy wrote:This is not relevant to the actual topic of the conversation but... Duke as the automatic team to come to mind as the best basketball program? Lol. No.

[+] Spoiler
[/quote]

That has to be the biggest troll answer of this thread. Nice undeserved 1 seed for UNC, seeing how they lost twice to duke, had less top 25 and top 50 wins than Duke, and didn't win the conference tourney. LOL unc thinking they are relevant

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:38 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

You can't enter a masters program at 18, bud.

Yeah, I mistakenly thought we were still in UG lay prestige. I still think it's ridiculous to talk about lay prestige in the context of most graduate programs.

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:52 pm

grades?? wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

[+] Spoiler

That has to be the biggest troll answer of this thread. Nice undeserved 1 seed for UNC, seeing how they lost twice to duke, had less top 25 and top 50 wins than Duke, and didn't win the conference tourney. LOL unc thinking they are relevant[/quote]

how can you argue between the two when one has produced the greatest b ball player of all time
[+] Spoiler

eminentdomain

New

Postby eminentdomain » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:00 pm

MS9 leak credited. Berkeley is not in T10 while Michigan and NU are.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-g ... aw-schools

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:07 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:

I understand that lawyers and law students have a stereotype/legitimate tendency to be pretentious AF, and I get that discussing the "prestige as viewed by a commoner" is pretty pretentious, but at the same time I'm bored and it's interesting. It's not like we're going to go out and find someone to ask "you're a blue collar worker, what do you think is the best law school" and then laugh at them if they get it wrong.

Reddit had a whole thread on Law Schools ranked by attractiveness of students, this argument can't be as bad as that one.

Link to reddit thread

BrainsyK

New

Postby BrainsyK » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:14 pm

PrezRand wrote:Link to reddit thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmis ... _students/

It's underwhelming.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?