2018 USNWR Rankings

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kingpin101

Bronze
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby kingpin101 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:36 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:What happens if Georgetown fired someone over rankings that turned out to false?

The top law schools (GULC included) know that the "leaked" rankings were a head fake intended to discourage leaks in future years. Here are the official rankings that will actually be released by USNWR in two days:

1. Yale
2. Harvard
2. Stanford
4. Chicago
5. Columbia
6. NYU
6. Penn
8. UVA
9. Berkeley
10. Duke
11. Michigan
11. Northwestern
13. Cornell
14. Georgetown


Damm. Poor Columbia, they still fell. Has the fact the leak was fake been confirmed or are you just making a prediction here?

Confirmed by inside sources at two different law schools.

Would love to see Penn overtake NYU some day.

grades??

Silver
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby grades?? » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:37 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:What happens if Georgetown fired someone over rankings that turned out to false?

The top law schools (GULC included) know that the "leaked" rankings were a head fake intended to discourage leaks in future years. Here are the official rankings that will actually be released by USNWR in two days:

1. Yale
2. Harvard
2. Stanford
4. Chicago
5. Columbia
6. NYU
6. Penn
8. UVA
9. Berkeley
10. Duke
11. Michigan
11. Northwestern
13. Cornell
14. Georgetown


Damm. Poor Columbia, they still fell. Has the fact the leak was fake been confirmed or are you just making a prediction here?

Confirmed by inside sources at two different law schools.


If this is the case, I wonder how much Georgetown had to pay USNEWS to get back within the t14. Until proof tomorrow, they are still outside the t13.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby rpupkin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:38 pm

kingpin101 wrote:Would love to see Penn overtake NYU some day.

Penn tying NYU for sixth is the first step. By 2019 or 2020, you've got to think that Penn has what it takes to inch ahead.

User avatar
Ferrisjso

Gold
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:38 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:What happens if Georgetown fired someone over rankings that turned out to false?

The top law schools (GULC included) know that the "leaked" rankings were a head fake intended to discourage leaks in future years. Here are the official rankings that will actually be released by USNWR in two days:

1. Yale
2. Harvard
2. Stanford
4. Chicago
5. Columbia
6. NYU
6. Penn
8. UVA
9. Berkeley
10. Duke
11. Michigan
11. Northwestern
13. Cornell
14. Georgetown


Damm. Poor Columbia, they still fell. Has the fact the leak was fake been confirmed or are you just making a prediction here?

Confirmed by inside sources at two different law schools.


Every single school I haven't been rejected from except Richmond went up substantially, I'm actually kind of bummed. I guess this was like a simulation for the Georgetown people how falling out of the T14 would feel. I feel so bad for the UT people, that hurts. Is it possible there's a second 14 lurking behind Georgetown or is that the complete T14 for this year?

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby rpupkin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:40 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Every single school I haven't been rejected from except Richmond went up substantially, I'm actually kind of bummed. I guess this was like a simulation for the Georgetown people how falling out of the T14 would feel. I feel so bad for the UT people, that hurts. Is it possible there's a second 14 lurking behind Georgetown or is that the complete T14 for this year?

It's possible that another school (UT or UCLA or even both) are tied with GULC at #14, but I don't know that info at this point.

Moneytrees

Silver
Posts: 791
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Moneytrees » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:45 pm

So are the original leaked rankings fake, or are you guys trolling?

User avatar
Harvard_Naw

New
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Harvard_Naw » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:46 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:What happens if Georgetown fired someone over rankings that turned out to false?

The top law schools (GULC included) know that the "leaked" rankings were a head fake intended to discourage leaks in future years. Here are the official rankings that will actually be released by USNWR in two days:

1. Yale
2. Harvard
2. Stanford
4. Chicago
5. Columbia
6. NYU
6. Penn
8. UVA
9. Berkeley
10. Duke
11. Michigan
11. Northwestern
13. Cornell
14. Georgetown


Damm. Poor Columbia, they still fell. Has the fact the leak was fake been confirmed or are you just making a prediction here?

Confirmed by inside sources at two different law schools.


I can't discern whether this is top-notch trolling or if there's truth to this.. sorry, I'm new here.

User avatar
Pomeranian

Bronze
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Pomeranian » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:48 pm

^ There's no way to know until they are "officially" released late Monday night. There's strong reason to believe they are fake.
Last edited by Pomeranian on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haus

Gold
Posts: 3894
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby haus » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Harvard_Naw wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:What happens if Georgetown fired someone over rankings that turned out to false?

The top law schools (GULC included) know that the "leaked" rankings were a head fake intended to discourage leaks in future years. Here are the official rankings that will actually be released by USNWR in two days:

1. Yale
2. Harvard
2. Stanford
4. Chicago
5. Columbia
6. NYU
6. Penn
8. UVA
9. Berkeley
10. Duke
11. Michigan
11. Northwestern
13. Cornell
14. Georgetown


Damm. Poor Columbia, they still fell. Has the fact the leak was fake been confirmed or are you just making a prediction here?

Confirmed by inside sources at two different law schools.


I can't discern whether this is top-notch trolling or if there's truth to this.. sorry, I'm new here.

Safe money is on trolling.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter

Diamond
Posts: 17152
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:50 pm

Harvard_Naw wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:What happens if Georgetown fired someone over rankings that turned out to false?

The top law schools (GULC included) know that the "leaked" rankings were a head fake intended to discourage leaks in future years. Here are the official rankings that will actually be released by USNWR in two days:

1. Yale
2. Harvard
2. Stanford
4. Chicago
5. Columbia
6. NYU
6. Penn
8. UVA
9. Berkeley
10. Duke
11. Michigan
11. Northwestern
13. Cornell
14. Georgetown


Damm. Poor Columbia, they still fell. Has the fact the leak was fake been confirmed or are you just making a prediction here?

Confirmed by inside sources at two different law schools.


I can't discern whether this is top-notch trolling or if there's truth to this.. sorry, I'm new here.

Welcome aboard! rpupkin is one of our most experienced posters, and has consistently made predictions regarding these ranking changes in the past.

User avatar
Ferrisjso

Gold
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:57 pm

Harvard_Naw wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:What happens if Georgetown fired someone over rankings that turned out to false?

The top law schools (GULC included) know that the "leaked" rankings were a head fake intended to discourage leaks in future years. Here are the official rankings that will actually be released by USNWR in two days:

1. Yale
2. Harvard
2. Stanford
4. Chicago
5. Columbia
6. NYU
6. Penn
8. UVA
9. Berkeley
10. Duke
11. Michigan
11. Northwestern
13. Cornell
14. Georgetown


Damm. Poor Columbia, they still fell. Has the fact the leak was fake been confirmed or are you just making a prediction here?

Confirmed by inside sources at two different law schools.


I can't discern whether this is top-notch trolling or if there's truth to this.. sorry, I'm new here.


I'm going to choose to believe him until I see those wild changes in print because this years "ranking's" were a good deal more radical than in the past, not just in regards to UT v Georgetown. It would make sense that those were fake.

User avatar
Harvard_Naw

New
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Harvard_Naw » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:05 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
Harvard_Naw wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:What happens if Georgetown fired someone over rankings that turned out to false?

The top law schools (GULC included) know that the "leaked" rankings were a head fake intended to discourage leaks in future years. Here are the official rankings that will actually be released by USNWR in two days:

1. Yale
2. Harvard
2. Stanford
4. Chicago
5. Columbia
6. NYU
6. Penn
8. UVA
9. Berkeley
10. Duke
11. Michigan
11. Northwestern
13. Cornell
14. Georgetown


Damm. Poor Columbia, they still fell. Has the fact the leak was fake been confirmed or are you just making a prediction here?

Confirmed by inside sources at two different law schools.


I can't discern whether this is top-notch trolling or if there's truth to this.. sorry, I'm new here.


I'm going to choose to believe him until I see those wild changes in print because this years "ranking's" were a good deal more radical than in the past, not just in regards to UT v Georgetown. It would make sense that those were fake.


Oh, I'm not doubting his possible sources or whether he can get his hands on some reliable info. Just not sure if he's intentionally messing with us lol.

User avatar
Toni V

Bronze
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:42 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Toni V » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:09 am

rpupkin wrote:
kingpin101 wrote:Would love to see Penn overtake NYU some day.

Penn tying NYU for sixth is the first step. By 2019 or 2020, you've got to think that Penn has what it takes to inch ahead.

Given the BL employment stats and the high NY COL, it’s hard to fathom why Penn hasn’t already surpassed Columbia & NYU.

BrainsyK

New
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:37 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby BrainsyK » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:11 am

Toni V wrote:Given the BL employment stats and the high NY COL, it’s hard to fathom why Penn hasn’t already surpassed Columbia & NYU.


I think the whole Sandusky thing left a bad taste.

User avatar
Toni V

Bronze
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:42 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Toni V » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:14 am

BrainsyK wrote:
Toni V wrote:Given the BL employment stats and the high NY COL, it’s hard to fathom why Penn hasn’t already surpassed Columbia & NYU.


I think the whole Sandusky thing left a bad taste.

No matter how often I see that….it still makes me laugh.

JuicyBoy

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:15 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby JuicyBoy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:25 am

rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:What happens if Georgetown fired someone over rankings that turned out to false?

The top law schools (GULC included) know that the "leaked" rankings were a head fake intended to discourage leaks in future years. Here are the official rankings that will actually be released by USNWR in two days:

1. Yale
2. Harvard
2. Stanford
4. Chicago
5. Columbia
6. NYU
7. Michigan
8. Penn
9. UVA
10. Duke
11. Berkeley
11. Northwestern
13. Cornell
14. Georgetown


Really wild stuff. Crazy to see the shake-up with Penn.

User avatar
KissMyAxe

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby KissMyAxe » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:28 am

LurkerTurnedMember wrote:I went to U of Chicago. When I applied to law schools, I was working-class, doing a blue collar job finishing college. All my family and friends were same, everyday people with no particular connection to "engineering," "law," "medicine," etc. The perception at the time on which schools were best for me to apply, irrespective of actual US news rankings (we weren't really aware of at the beginning) and after we realized I could get into the "good" schools instead of applying "local," was Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley. MIT and Princeton were also thrown in but obviously didn't apply. When I applied and told people where I was applying, they would almost always single out Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley. A few also were impressed by U of Chicago. I know this is hugely anecdotal, but I come from an "everyday" background if you will. And since going through law school, and meeting so many overly well off people, I can't stand when someone from a well off background who grew up through private schools, and knew everything law because they grew up expected and prepared to be some kind of professional, tries to, with a sense of "the world rotates around me," impute their very researched and unordinary understanding of the legal profession and schools to everyday people, like that guy above who, like those snobs we all met at one point, for some reason still cares about private versus public school distinction.

I'm not saying other schools aren't great. They are. I'm just saying if you asked everyday people to name the top engineering school, law school, medical school, or the like, people will go with their perception on the university as a whole because they don't have the same particular understanding of the specific professions we do now, especially law. So whichever one you ask (i.e., about law, medicine, etc.), you'll get answers like Harvard, Yale, MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, Princeton, etc. You won't get UVA, Michigan, NYU, Duke, Vandy, or the like because generally they don't have that specific national lay person reputation for academics. That doesn't mean they aren't good schools. They are. And that doesn't mean they also aren't well known for something. They are; I'm sure if I asked people to name the best basketball programs, Duke would pop up immediately. But when it comes to academics, for a long time it's been Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, Yale, Berkeley, MIT, and a few others that dominate across the board in academics and the media. It has never been schools that are good at one particular thing, especially when that thing is non-academic, like Duke with basketball and as we here know law but no other high academic ranking in any other departments.

This of course varies from one part of the country to another, but generally on a national level, and international level, it holds true.


This is some 180 trolling. Not everyone is from a wealthy, prep school background on here, and I'm pretty sure I'd win if we were to compare who was more "blue collar." BTW, that's such a weird criticism to level at people who disagree with you. What sort of prick claims to speak "for the people," and claim that their own life experiences holds true across America, when their only experience is in Chicago.

In my area, no one blinked at Berkeley. There, it had less lay prestige than literally every other school you mentioned with the exception of NYU. On the east coast (which is the only coast that matters), Duke will be considered better by virtually everyone. I'd be surprised if you could find a single layperson mention Berkeley as the best in anything (Harvard will probably win no matter what field we're talking). Hell, Stanford wouldn't be in the same conversation as HYP and MIT throughout most of the east coast, and would be seen as Duke's peer. Stop living in a fantasy world. This is as stupid of an argument as the guy citing some random international rankings. Outside of HYP, schools are heavily regional, and that will determine what the layperson thinks is the best. Stop speaking for the country.
Last edited by KissMyAxe on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby rpupkin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:38 am

JuicyBoy wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:What happens if Georgetown fired someone over rankings that turned out to false?

The top law schools (GULC included) know that the "leaked" rankings were a head fake intended to discourage leaks in future years. Here are the official rankings that will actually be released by USNWR in two days:

1. Yale
2. Harvard
2. Stanford
4. Chicago
5. Columbia
6. NYU
7. Michigan
8. Penn
9. UVA
10. Duke
11. Berkeley
11. Northwestern
13. Cornell
14. Georgetown


Really wild stuff. Crazy to see the shake-up with Penn.

Wow. It was really brave of you to create an account just for the sake of distorting the actual rankings with some pro-Michigan, anti-Penn trolling. Not cool.

Moneytrees

Silver
Posts: 791
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Moneytrees » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:38 am

KissMyAxe wrote:
LurkerTurnedMember wrote:I went to U of Chicago. When I applied to law schools, I was working-class, doing a blue collar job finishing college. All my family and friends were same, everyday people with no particular connection to "engineering," "law," "medicine," etc. The perception at the time on which schools were best for me to apply, irrespective of actual US news rankings (we weren't really aware of at the beginning) and after we realized I could get into the "good" schools instead of applying "local," was Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley. MIT and Princeton were also thrown in but obviously didn't apply. When I applied and told people where I was applying, they would almost always single out Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley. A few also were impressed by U of Chicago. I know this is hugely anecdotal, but I come from an "everyday" background if you will. And since going through law school, and meeting so many overly well off people, I can't stand when someone from a well off background who grew up through private schools, and knew everything law because they grew up expected and prepared to be some kind of professional, tries to, with a sense of "the world rotates around me," impute their very researched and unordinary understanding of the legal profession and schools to everyday people, like that guy above who, like those snobs we all met at one point, for some reason still cares about private versus public school distinction.

I'm not saying other schools aren't great. They are. I'm just saying if you asked everyday people to name the top engineering school, law school, medical school, or the like, people will go with their perception on the university as a whole because they don't have the same particular understanding of the specific professions we do now, especially law. So whichever one you ask (i.e., about law, medicine, etc.), you'll get answers like Harvard, Yale, MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, Princeton, etc. You won't get UVA, Michigan, NYU, Duke, Vandy, or the like because generally they don't have that specific national lay person reputation for academics. That doesn't mean they aren't good schools. They are. And that doesn't mean they also aren't well known for something. They are; I'm sure if I asked people to name the best basketball programs, Duke would pop up immediately. But when it comes to academics, for a long time it's been Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, Yale, Berkeley, MIT, and a few others that dominate across the board in academics and the media. It has never been schools that are good at one particular thing, especially when that thing is non-academic, like Duke with basketball and as we here know law but no other high academic ranking in any other departments.

This of course varies from one part of the country to another, but generally on a national level, and international level, it holds true.


This is some 180 trolling. Not everyone is from a wealthy, prep school background on here, and I'm pretty sure I'd win if we were to compare who was more "blue collar." BTW, that's such a weird criticism to level at people who disagree with you. But in my area, no one blinked at Berkeley. In my area, it had less lay prestige than literally every other school you mentioned with the exception of NYU. On the east coast (which is the only coast that matters), Duke will be considered better by virtually everyone. I'd be surprised if you could find a single layperson mention Berkeley as the best in everything (Harvard will probably win no matter what field we're talking). Hell, Stanford wouldn't be in the same conversation as HYP and MIT throughout most of the east coast, and would be seen as Duke's peer. Stop living in a fantasy world. This is as stupid of an argument as the guy citing some random international rankings.


What are you guys even arguing about? If were talking straight lay prestige, Duke is probably on top. If we are talking overall strength of academics, Berkeley is probably on top. As far as I know, Duke isn't really well known for all its graduate school programs, whereas most of Cal's grad programs are internationally recognized (which is why it's always one of the top schools in the international rankings).

User avatar
Toni V

Bronze
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:42 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Toni V » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:48 am

Moneytrees wrote:
....were talking straight lay prestige.....


Is Lay Prestige even a thing? Let me answer for those hoping to be in the legal profession…. Why no, it’s not.

haus

Gold
Posts: 3894
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby haus » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:53 am

Toni V wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
....were talking straight lay prestige.....


Is Lay Prestige even a thing? Let me answer for those hoping to be in the legal profession…. Why no, it’s not.

I have no doubt that lay prestige is a thing. Although, I do not think that this thing matters for much of anything, as few people are going to find the employment opportunities as a lawyer move up or down dramatically due to the opinions of someone who does not know that Princeton does not have a law school.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter

Diamond
Posts: 17152
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:57 am

KissMyAxe wrote:
LurkerTurnedMember wrote:I went to U of Chicago. When I applied to law schools, I was working-class, doing a blue collar job finishing college. All my family and friends were same, everyday people with no particular connection to "engineering," "law," "medicine," etc. The perception at the time on which schools were best for me to apply, irrespective of actual US news rankings (we weren't really aware of at the beginning) and after we realized I could get into the "good" schools instead of applying "local," was Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley. MIT and Princeton were also thrown in but obviously didn't apply. When I applied and told people where I was applying, they would almost always single out Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley. A few also were impressed by U of Chicago. I know this is hugely anecdotal, but I come from an "everyday" background if you will. And since going through law school, and meeting so many overly well off people, I can't stand when someone from a well off background who grew up through private schools, and knew everything law because they grew up expected and prepared to be some kind of professional, tries to, with a sense of "the world rotates around me," impute their very researched and unordinary understanding of the legal profession and schools to everyday people, like that guy above who, like those snobs we all met at one point, for some reason still cares about private versus public school distinction.

I'm not saying other schools aren't great. They are. I'm just saying if you asked everyday people to name the top engineering school, law school, medical school, or the like, people will go with their perception on the university as a whole because they don't have the same particular understanding of the specific professions we do now, especially law. So whichever one you ask (i.e., about law, medicine, etc.), you'll get answers like Harvard, Yale, MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, Princeton, etc. You won't get UVA, Michigan, NYU, Duke, Vandy, or the like because generally they don't have that specific national lay person reputation for academics. That doesn't mean they aren't good schools. They are. And that doesn't mean they also aren't well known for something. They are; I'm sure if I asked people to name the best basketball programs, Duke would pop up immediately. But when it comes to academics, for a long time it's been Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, Yale, Berkeley, MIT, and a few others that dominate across the board in academics and the media. It has never been schools that are good at one particular thing, especially when that thing is non-academic, like Duke with basketball and as we here know law but no other high academic ranking in any other departments.

This of course varies from one part of the country to another, but generally on a national level, and international level, it holds true.


This is some 180 trolling. Not everyone is from a wealthy, prep school background on here, and I'm pretty sure I'd win if we were to compare who was more "blue collar." BTW, that's such a weird criticism to level at people who disagree with you. What sort of prick claims to speak "for the people," and claim that their own life experiences holds true across America, when their only experience is in Chicago.

In my area, no one blinked at Berkeley. There, it had less lay prestige than literally every other school you mentioned with the exception of NYU. On the east coast (which is the only coast that matters), Duke will be considered better by virtually everyone. I'd be surprised if you could find a single layperson mention Berkeley as the best in anything (Harvard will probably win no matter what field we're talking). Hell, Stanford wouldn't be in the same conversation as HYP and MIT throughout most of the east coast, and would be seen as Duke's peer. Stop living in a fantasy world. This is as stupid of an argument as the guy citing some random international rankings. Outside of HYP, schools are heavily regional, and that will determine what the layperson thinks is the best. Stop speaking for the country.

I appreciate the bolded meta douche line. Clever counter.

LurkerTurnedMember

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:31 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby LurkerTurnedMember » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:13 am

rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:What happens if Georgetown fired someone over rankings that turned out to false?

The top law schools (GULC included) know that the "leaked" rankings were a head fake intended to discourage leaks in future years. Here are the official rankings that will actually be released by USNWR in two days:

1. Yale
2. Harvard
2. Stanford
4. Chicago
5. Columbia
6. NYU
6. Penn
8. UVA
9. Berkeley
10. Duke
11. Michigan
11. Northwestern
13. Cornell
14. Georgetown


Good try. But there's no way they would release fake rankings knowing at least some applicants would likely rely on the leaks to decide which apps to pull or continue with..

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby rpupkin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:16 am

LurkerTurnedMember wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:What happens if Georgetown fired someone over rankings that turned out to false?

The top law schools (GULC included) know that the "leaked" rankings were a head fake intended to discourage leaks in future years. Here are the official rankings that will actually be released by USNWR in two days:

1. Yale
2. Harvard
2. Stanford
4. Chicago
5. Columbia
6. NYU
6. Penn
8. UVA
9. Berkeley
10. Duke
11. Michigan
11. Northwestern
13. Cornell
14. Georgetown


Good try. But there's no way they would release fake rankings knowing at least some applicants would likely rely on the leaks to decide which apps to pull or continue with..

USNWR didn't "release" fake rankings. C'mon—use some common sense.

LurkerTurnedMember

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:31 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby LurkerTurnedMember » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:26 am

KissMyAxe wrote:
LurkerTurnedMember wrote:I went to U of Chicago. When I applied to law schools, I was working-class, doing a blue collar job finishing college. All my family and friends were same, everyday people with no particular connection to "engineering," "law," "medicine," etc. The perception at the time on which schools were best for me to apply, irrespective of actual US news rankings (we weren't really aware of at the beginning) and after we realized I could get into the "good" schools instead of applying "local," was Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley. MIT and Princeton were also thrown in but obviously didn't apply. When I applied and told people where I was applying, they would almost always single out Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley. A few also were impressed by U of Chicago. I know this is hugely anecdotal, but I come from an "everyday" background if you will. And since going through law school, and meeting so many overly well off people, I can't stand when someone from a well off background who grew up through private schools, and knew everything law because they grew up expected and prepared to be some kind of professional, tries to, with a sense of "the world rotates around me," impute their very researched and unordinary understanding of the legal profession and schools to everyday people, like that guy above who, like those snobs we all met at one point, for some reason still cares about private versus public school distinction.

I'm not saying other schools aren't great. They are. I'm just saying if you asked everyday people to name the top engineering school, law school, medical school, or the like, people will go with their perception on the university as a whole because they don't have the same particular understanding of the specific professions we do now, especially law. So whichever one you ask (i.e., about law, medicine, etc.), you'll get answers like Harvard, Yale, MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, Princeton, etc. You won't get UVA, Michigan, NYU, Duke, Vandy, or the like because generally they don't have that specific national lay person reputation for academics. That doesn't mean they aren't good schools. They are. And that doesn't mean they also aren't well known for something. They are; I'm sure if I asked people to name the best basketball programs, Duke would pop up immediately. But when it comes to academics, for a long time it's been Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, Yale, Berkeley, MIT, and a few others that dominate across the board in academics and the media. It has never been schools that are good at one particular thing, especially when that thing is non-academic, like Duke with basketball and as we here know law but no other high academic ranking in any other departments.

This of course varies from one part of the country to another, but generally on a national level, and international level, it holds true.


This is some 180 trolling. Not everyone is from a wealthy, prep school background on here, and I'm pretty sure I'd win if we were to compare who was more "blue collar." BTW, that's such a weird criticism to level at people who disagree with you. What sort of prick claims to speak "for the people," and claim that their own life experiences holds true across America, when their only experience is in Chicago.

In my area, no one blinked at Berkeley. There, it had less lay prestige than literally every other school you mentioned with the exception of NYU. On the east coast (which is the only coast that matters), Duke will be considered better by virtually everyone. I'd be surprised if you could find a single layperson mention Berkeley as the best in anything (Harvard will probably win no matter what field we're talking). Hell, Stanford wouldn't be in the same conversation as HYP and MIT throughout most of the east coast, and would be seen as Duke's peer. Stop living in a fantasy world. This is as stupid of an argument as the guy citing some random international rankings. Outside of HYP, schools are heavily regional, and that will determine what the layperson thinks is the best. Stop speaking for the country.


You would've saved yourself a lot of time if you actually read my post. I didn't just live in chicago. I've lived throughout the midwest mostly and I can tell you based on experience, no one knows Duke for academics. In fact, many local colleges are seen as kings typically, with only a few national colleges managing to pierce through and also be relevant. Of course, this includes mostly Harvard, and sometimes Yale, Princeton, MIT, and Berkeley. Duke is nowhere in the midwest. Shit. I have to google where it is exactly in NC, so I can only imagine what someone outside the legal profession (where duke has sway in academics) would have to do to know it even exists in academics. It's true on the west ckast where i lived, and it's also true on the east coast in Massachusetts where I lived.

Now, I'm not saying people don't know it. They do, for basketball. But that's not what we're talking about here. Please don't respond to my post. I don't want to engage with someone who either can't read or purposefully trolls through strawman arguments.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bigalo, longlivewho and 33 guests