2018 USNWR Rankings

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Monday

Silver
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Monday » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:00 pm

.
Last edited by Monday on Wed May 10, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NCGuy

Gold
Posts: 1802
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:20 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby NCGuy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:00 pm

We're complaining that a school in Tennessee places people in Georgia and Tennessee?

Are you all sleeping on Atlanta and Nashville as major markets?
Last edited by NCGuy on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1225
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:07 pm

Monday wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
somedeadman wrote:Why are people saying Vanderbilt is a garbage school? Their big law placement is almost 50^

They place 31% of their grads in TN/GA which aren't preferred locations for a lot of people.


What?

1. How many of that 31% in TN/GA went into BigLaw?
2. How do you know those 31% didn't prefer TN/GA?


1. That's unknown, but also seems irrelevant. Maybe you could expand on why this is important when we have overall biglaw numbers? Also, on that note, loved Kronk's post, though I'd argue Biglaw is actually the path of least resistance for T14 students and is not prestigious at all. Going for biglaw is more chasing money and the herd than chasing prestige (that would be more the clerkship route).
2. He didn't say they didn't. Stop getting defensive. But it does show Vanderbilt has a knack for putting people into those markets. That makes sense. Vandy is a regional school that caters to the South. If someone doesn't want to work there, then that's something to consider. And because most applicants do not want to work there, they disregard Vandy as a top flight school.


haha what? i legit am only saying that the statemet "They place 31% of their grads in TN/GA which aren't preferred locations for a lot of people" doesn't say much...

Original Quesiton Was: WHy does Vandy Suck, their biglaw placement is pretty solid.
Response: Yeah, but they place biglaw into TN/GA (without evidence) and those aren't preferred locations (makes the assumption that those people didn't go for TN/GA in the first place).

The referent of "a lot of people" is not Vanderbilt students. That refers instead to us (and perhaps other to-be lawyers who've successfully escaped TLS). TN/GA just aren't preferred locations for a lot of people in general, and this is precisely what goldenbear and gimli say. Applicants (again, us, and the majority of whom don't prefer TN/GA) will regard a school that places quite heavily in those locations as less than preferable to schools with better placement at their preferred locations. That those who work in TN/GA actually wanted to work in TN/GA in the first place doesn't say much, when we are discussing the "people" in the question "Why are people saying Vanderbilt is a garbage school?" since the "people" is us, the TLS trolls.


Again, while I agree with you, I was merely saying that the sentence "They place 31% of their grads in TN/GA which aren't preferred locations for a lot of people" does nothing to answer the original question. That's it.

I get that the vast majority of appicant's/law students/lawyers don't want to work in TN/GA. But just because Vandy places 31% in TN/GA doesn't mean much...that's like me saying that Northwestern is a better school that HLS because it places a higher percentage into BigLaw. A lot of things assumed and incorrect about that statement. I think it would be more helpful to have statistics on how many people get what they want coming out of a certain school. If UT/UCLA/Vandy students WANTED to stay in their respective regions as opposed to whether they were forced to stay there because they struck out at NYC/DC biglaw.

User avatar
emkay625

Gold
Posts: 1987
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby emkay625 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:16 pm

baseballfan660 wrote:
michlaw wrote:Sports do bring money and money gives a school flexibility. Compare Michigan to NYU. Both schools started back in the early 1800's. Michigan's endowment is $9.7 billion while NYU's is $3.4 billion. A startling difference. Love em or hate em jock alums support their schools. Michigan's annual sports revenue is $160 million. The Ivy's started as a sports conference. Harvard endowment $37 billion Yale $25 billion.

Actually Michigan sports ran a 250 million dollar defecit this year ....


There is no way that number is correct. I believe they ran a deficit. But 250 million? My guess is it would be 10 million. 250 million is surely larger than the entire athletics department operating budget. Link?

baseballfan660

Bronze
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby baseballfan660 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:20 pm

emkay625 wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
michlaw wrote:Sports do bring money and money gives a school flexibility. Compare Michigan to NYU. Both schools started back in the early 1800's. Michigan's endowment is $9.7 billion while NYU's is $3.4 billion. A startling difference. Love em or hate em jock alums support their schools. Michigan's annual sports revenue is $160 million. The Ivy's started as a sports conference. Harvard endowment $37 billion Yale $25 billion.

Actually Michigan sports ran a 250 million dollar defecit this year ....


There is no way that number is correct. I believe they ran a deficit. But 250 million? My guess is it would be 10 million. 250 million is surely larger than the entire athletics department operating budget. Link?

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/michigan- ... 20973.html could be fake news who knows

User avatar
BVest

Platinum
Posts: 7888
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby BVest » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:24 pm

baseballfan660 wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
michlaw wrote:Sports do bring money and money gives a school flexibility. Compare Michigan to NYU. Both schools started back in the early 1800's. Michigan's endowment is $9.7 billion while NYU's is $3.4 billion. A startling difference. Love em or hate em jock alums support their schools. Michigan's annual sports revenue is $160 million. The Ivy's started as a sports conference. Harvard endowment $37 billion Yale $25 billion.

Actually Michigan sports ran a 250 million dollar defecit this year ....


There is no way that number is correct. I believe they ran a deficit. But 250 million? My guess is it would be 10 million. 250 million is surely larger than the entire athletics department operating budget. Link?

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/michigan- ... 20973.html could be fake news who knows


Debt ≠ Deficit.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monday

Silver
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Monday » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:33 pm

.
Last edited by Monday on Wed May 10, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
emkay625

Gold
Posts: 1987
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby emkay625 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:37 pm

baseballfan660 wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
michlaw wrote:Sports do bring money and money gives a school flexibility. Compare Michigan to NYU. Both schools started back in the early 1800's. Michigan's endowment is $9.7 billion while NYU's is $3.4 billion. A startling difference. Love em or hate em jock alums support their schools. Michigan's annual sports revenue is $160 million. The Ivy's started as a sports conference. Harvard endowment $37 billion Yale $25 billion.

Actually Michigan sports ran a 250 million dollar defecit this year ....


There is no way that number is correct. I believe they ran a deficit. But 250 million? My guess is it would be 10 million. 250 million is surely larger than the entire athletics department operating budget. Link?

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/michigan- ... 20973.html could be fake news who knows


Yeah that's not a deficit.

I have 9 zillion dollars in law school debt. That doesn't mean I ran a 9 trillion dollar deficit last year.

Hikikomorist

Platinum
Posts: 7791
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Hikikomorist » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:44 pm

Monday wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Again, while I agree with you, I was merely saying that the sentence "They place 31% of their grads in TN/GA which aren't preferred locations for a lot of people" does nothing to answer the original question. That's it.

I get that the vast majority of appicant's/law students/lawyers don't want to work in TN/GA. But just because Vandy places 31% in TN/GA doesn't mean much...that's like me saying that Northwestern is a better school that HLS because it places a higher percentage into BigLaw. A lot of things assumed and incorrect about that statement. I think it would be more helpful to have statistics on how many people get what they want coming out of a certain school. If UT/UCLA/Vandy students WANTED to stay in their respective regions as opposed to whether they were forced to stay there because they struck out at NYC/DC biglaw.

It does answer the question, though: it shows why we see Vanderbilt as more of a regional school, and TLS in general enjoys hating on regional schools (see arguments surrounding UT's T14 status). It's not relevant that regional school students had planned all along to stay in their respective regions or "settled" after striking out. Neither scenario contradicts the fact that Vanderbilt is more of a regional school.

Your points are more about whether Vanderbilt actually is garbage and that, as you correctly say, cannot be answered with just that 31% TN/GA figure. But what was asked and what we are talking here are TLS opinions. Outside of TLS, people aren't going around saying Vanderbilt is garbage.

TLS doesn't typically hate on regional schools.

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby PrezRand » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:56 pm

Monday wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Again, while I agree with you, I was merely saying that the sentence "They place 31% of their grads in TN/GA which aren't preferred locations for a lot of people" does nothing to answer the original question. That's it.

I get that the vast majority of appicant's/law students/lawyers don't want to work in TN/GA. But just because Vandy places 31% in TN/GA doesn't mean much...that's like me saying that Northwestern is a better school that HLS because it places a higher percentage into BigLaw. A lot of things assumed and incorrect about that statement. I think it would be more helpful to have statistics on how many people get what they want coming out of a certain school. If UT/UCLA/Vandy students WANTED to stay in their respective regions as opposed to whether they were forced to stay there because they struck out at NYC/DC biglaw.

It does answer the question, though: it shows why we see Vanderbilt as more of a regional school, and TLS in general enjoys hating on regional schools (see arguments surrounding UT's T14 status). It's not relevant that regional school students had planned all along to stay in their respective regions or "settled" after striking out. Neither scenario contradicts the fact that Vanderbilt is more of a regional school.

Your points are more about whether Vanderbilt actually is garbage and that, as you correctly say, cannot be answered with just that 31% TN/GA figure. But what was asked and what we are talking here are TLS opinions. Outside of TLS, people aren't going around saying Vanderbilt is garbage.

We don't even know if regional schools such as Vandy/UT/UCLA are incapable of placing students nationally so viewing Vandy as a regional school because students self-select is not really a good argument

User avatar
Gitaroo_Dude

Silver
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:59 pm

This whole discussion seems pretty moot, because I don't really think anyone "hates" on Vandy outside of trying to get a rise out of people.

Monday

Silver
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Monday » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:17 pm

.
Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby PrezRand » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:26 pm

Monday wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Monday wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Again, while I agree with you, I was merely saying that the sentence "They place 31% of their grads in TN/GA which aren't preferred locations for a lot of people" does nothing to answer the original question. That's it.

I get that the vast majority of appicant's/law students/lawyers don't want to work in TN/GA. But just because Vandy places 31% in TN/GA doesn't mean much...that's like me saying that Northwestern is a better school that HLS because it places a higher percentage into BigLaw. A lot of things assumed and incorrect about that statement. I think it would be more helpful to have statistics on how many people get what they want coming out of a certain school. If UT/UCLA/Vandy students WANTED to stay in their respective regions as opposed to whether they were forced to stay there because they struck out at NYC/DC biglaw.

It does answer the question, though: it shows why we see Vanderbilt as more of a regional school, and TLS in general enjoys hating on regional schools (see arguments surrounding UT's T14 status). It's not relevant that regional school students had planned all along to stay in their respective regions or "settled" after striking out. Neither scenario contradicts the fact that Vanderbilt is more of a regional school.

Your points are more about whether Vanderbilt actually is garbage and that, as you correctly say, cannot be answered with just that 31% TN/GA figure. But what was asked and what we are talking here are TLS opinions. Outside of TLS, people aren't going around saying Vanderbilt is garbage.

We don't even know if regional schools such as Vandy/UT/UCLA are incapable of placing students nationally so viewing Vandy as a regional school because students self-select is not really a good argument

I said self-selection is irrelevant to the definition so cheers for the straw man! I also don't see how anyone could possibly measure the capability (or incapability) of a school's placement without reference to past graduates' placement figures, and placement figures, which do not take into account self-selection, are what define a school as a regional school.

Your argument doesn't make any sense, but carry on

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1225
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Monday wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Monday wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Again, while I agree with you, I was merely saying that the sentence "They place 31% of their grads in TN/GA which aren't preferred locations for a lot of people" does nothing to answer the original question. That's it.

I get that the vast majority of appicant's/law students/lawyers don't want to work in TN/GA. But just because Vandy places 31% in TN/GA doesn't mean much...that's like me saying that Northwestern is a better school that HLS because it places a higher percentage into BigLaw. A lot of things assumed and incorrect about that statement. I think it would be more helpful to have statistics on how many people get what they want coming out of a certain school. If UT/UCLA/Vandy students WANTED to stay in their respective regions as opposed to whether they were forced to stay there because they struck out at NYC/DC biglaw.

It does answer the question, though: it shows why we see Vanderbilt as more of a regional school, and TLS in general enjoys hating on regional schools (see arguments surrounding UT's T14 status). It's not relevant that regional school students had planned all along to stay in their respective regions or "settled" after striking out. Neither scenario contradicts the fact that Vanderbilt is more of a regional school.

Your points are more about whether Vanderbilt actually is garbage and that, as you correctly say, cannot be answered with just that 31% TN/GA figure. But what was asked and what we are talking here are TLS opinions. Outside of TLS, people aren't going around saying Vanderbilt is garbage.

We don't even know if regional schools such as Vandy/UT/UCLA are incapable of placing students nationally so viewing Vandy as a regional school because students self-select is not really a good argument

I said self-selection is irrelevant to the definition so cheers for the straw man! I also don't see how anyone could possibly measure the capability (or incapability) of a school's placement without reference to past graduates' placement figures, and placement figures, which do not take into account self-selection, are what define a school as a regional school.


Jeez...

Okay, then I guess Columbia and NYU are also both regional schools because they place 75% of their graduates into the New York market.

trooper10538

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:14 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby trooper10538 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:39 pm

I will be applying next cycle, but I must ask why all the hate towards UT? Some posts on here make it sound like you'll never get a job going to UT. As Mike Ditka would say c'mon man!

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby rpupkin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:46 pm

trooper10538 wrote:I will be applying next cycle, but I must ask why all the hate towards UT? Some posts on here make it sound like you'll never get a job going to UT. As Mike Ditka would say c'mon man!

Here's the thing, trooper: the rankings are a huge joke; they're meaningless in the real world of legal employment. So many posters--myself included--take these threads as an opportunity to troll/flame/mock. You shouldn't take anything in this thread seriously.

UT is an excellent choice for someone who wants to work in Texas and who is okay with the prospect of not getting big law. There's nothing wrong with the school.

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby PrezRand » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:16 pm

rpupkin wrote:
trooper10538 wrote:I will be applying next cycle, but I must ask why all the hate towards UT? Some posts on here make it sound like you'll never get a job going to UT. As Mike Ditka would say c'mon man!

Here's the thing, trooper: the rankings are a huge joke; they're meaningless in the real world of legal employment. So many posters--myself included--take these threads as an opportunity to troll/flame/mock. You shouldn't take anything in this thread seriously.

UT is an excellent choice for someone who wants to work in Texas and who is okay with the prospect of not getting big law. There's nothing wrong with the school.

I hate when people say this. There's no guarantee of biglaw from any school outside the t6 if we are being honest.

technical

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby rpupkin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:20 pm

PrezRand wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
trooper10538 wrote:I will be applying next cycle, but I must ask why all the hate towards UT? Some posts on here make it sound like you'll never get a job going to UT. As Mike Ditka would say c'mon man!

Here's the thing, trooper: the rankings are a huge joke; they're meaningless in the real world of legal employment. So many posters--myself included--take these threads as an opportunity to troll/flame/mock. You shouldn't take anything in this thread seriously.

UT is an excellent choice for someone who wants to work in Texas and who is okay with the prospect of not getting big law. There's nothing wrong with the school.

I hate when people say this. There's no guarantee of biglaw from any school outside the t6 if we are being honest.

Why do you "hate" what I said? Isn't it entirely consistent with what you wrote?

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Rigo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:20 pm

PrezRand wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
trooper10538 wrote:I will be applying next cycle, but I must ask why all the hate towards UT? Some posts on here make it sound like you'll never get a job going to UT. As Mike Ditka would say c'mon man!

Here's the thing, trooper: the rankings are a huge joke; they're meaningless in the real world of legal employment. So many posters--myself included--take these threads as an opportunity to troll/flame/mock. You shouldn't take anything in this thread seriously.

UT is an excellent choice for someone who wants to work in Texas and who is okay with the prospect of not getting big law. There's nothing wrong with the school.

I hate when people say this. There's no guarantee of biglaw from any school outside the t6 if we are being honest.

technical

You're not guaranteed biglaw in the T6 either.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby chargers21 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:25 pm

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby PrezRand » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:27 pm

rpupkin wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
trooper10538 wrote:I will be applying next cycle, but I must ask why all the hate towards UT? Some posts on here make it sound like you'll never get a job going to UT. As Mike Ditka would say c'mon man!

Here's the thing, trooper: the rankings are a huge joke; they're meaningless in the real world of legal employment. So many posters--myself included--take these threads as an opportunity to troll/flame/mock. You shouldn't take anything in this thread seriously.

UT is an excellent choice for someone who wants to work in Texas and who is okay with the prospect of not getting big law. There's nothing wrong with the school.

I hate when people say this. There's no guarantee of biglaw from any school outside the t6 if we are being honest.

Why do you "hate" what I said? Isn't it entirely consistent with what you wrote?

Not entirely

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby rpupkin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:29 pm

PrezRand wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
rpupkin wrote:UT is an excellent choice for someone who wants to work in Texas and who is okay with the prospect of not getting big law. There's nothing wrong with the school.

I hate when people say this. There's no guarantee of biglaw from any school outside the t6 if we are being honest.

Why do you "hate" what I said? Isn't it entirely consistent with what you wrote?

Not entirely

I honestly don't understand what you're talking about. Would you mind explaining?

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby PrezRand » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:32 pm

chargers21 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
trooper10538 wrote:I will be applying next cycle, but I must ask why all the hate towards UT? Some posts on here make it sound like you'll never get a job going to UT. As Mike Ditka would say c'mon man!

Here's the thing, trooper: the rankings are a huge joke; they're meaningless in the real world of legal employment. So many posters--myself included--take these threads as an opportunity to troll/flame/mock. You shouldn't take anything in this thread seriously.

UT is an excellent choice for someone who wants to work in Texas and who is okay with the prospect of not getting big law. There's nothing wrong with the school.

I hate when people say this. There's no guarantee of biglaw from any school outside the t6 if we are being honest.

technical

There's a massive gulf between #14 UT and #13 Cornell though in terms of BL employment. UT is great for getting Tx jobs, great for getting Tx biglaw, but not so great for getting BL in general

I get that but I feel like this forum sometimes suggests that going to a school that isn't t20 like UCLA is a bad idea if biglaw is your goal. What if you want a decent chance at biglaw while avoiding massive debt? Yeah, a school where if you are at the median is better, but there is still no guarantee. The expression, biglaw or bust is always talked about and there are really only 6 schools that guarantee biglaw if you want it I don't feel like discussing this anymore so I'll leave it at that.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby chargers21 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:36 pm

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby rpupkin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:39 pm

PrezRand wrote:I get that but I feel like this forum sometimes suggests that going to a school that isn't t20 like UCLA is a bad idea if biglaw is your goal. What if you want a decent chance at biglaw while avoiding massive debt? Yeah, a school where if you are at the median is better, but there is still no guarantee. The expression, biglaw or bust is always talked about and there are really only 6 schools that guarantee biglaw if you want it I don't feel like discussing this anymore so I'll leave it at that.

I read TLS all the time and I have not noticed that "the expression big law or bust is always talked about." It seems like you have a chip on your shoulder that's distorting how you understand other people's arguments and positions.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests