2018 USNWR Rankings

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk

Gold
Posts: 3248
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:02 am

Kali the Annihilator wrote:Stephen A. Smith is obscure? It was a running joke for a good bit.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=16842644

Come on, now.


well if you post an espn link my whole premise falls apart. plz lemme troll in peace

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3433
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby guynourmin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:02 am

Not that it actually changes how different the schools are, but funny to see Chicago and NU improve while literally every other Illinois school falls.

20170322

Gold
Posts: 3251
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby 20170322 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:05 am

Kali the Annihilator wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
Kali the Annihilator wrote:Stephen A. Smith is obscure? It was a running joke for a good bit.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=16842644

Come on, now.


Yeah that was my b

All good. These are TENSE and TRYING times in law school rankings, and we must WORK TOGETHER to understand GULC's PLUMMET from grace.


(pops bottles)

User avatar
Kali the Annihilator

Platinum
Posts: 8030
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:24 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Kali the Annihilator » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:05 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Kali the Annihilator wrote:Stephen A. Smith is obscure? It was a running joke for a good bit.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=16842644

Come on, now.


well if you post an espn link my whole premise falls apart. plz lemme troll in peace

Image

User avatar
carasrook

Bronze
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby carasrook » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:05 am

guybourdin wrote:Not that it actually changes how different the schools are, but funny to see Chicago and NU improve while literally every other Illinois school falls.


right? i thought UIUC would shoot back up eventually

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk

Gold
Posts: 3248
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:07 am

the real important story here is that the dakotas are finally tied:

142) U North Dakota (+2)
142) U South Dakota (+1)

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3433
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby guynourmin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:08 am

carasrook wrote:
guybourdin wrote:Not that it actually changes how different the schools are, but funny to see Chicago and NU improve while literally every other Illinois school falls.


right? i thought UIUC would shoot back up eventually


Same. It has decent employment numbers and feeds a pretty strong market. Although, I'm still pretty bitter they are asking a life long resident to pay more to go to UIUC than WUSTL or Minnesota and haven't responded to my first e-mail in almost 2 weeks, so not too concerned.

User avatar
Kali the Annihilator

Platinum
Posts: 8030
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:24 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Kali the Annihilator » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:10 am

18,000 currently attending GULC students are apoplectic right now.

User avatar
jingosaur

Gold
Posts: 3188
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby jingosaur » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:11 am

HCC confirmed.

User avatar
waldorf

Gold
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby waldorf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:12 am

guybourdin wrote:
carasrook wrote:
guybourdin wrote:Not that it actually changes how different the schools are, but funny to see Chicago and NU improve while literally every other Illinois school falls.


right? i thought UIUC would shoot back up eventually


Same. It has decent employment numbers and feeds a pretty strong market. Although, I'm still pretty bitter they are asking a life long resident to pay more to go to UIUC than WUSTL or Minnesota and haven't responded to my first e-mail in almost 2 weeks, so not too concerned.


Source: uncle is a hiring partner at Jones Day in Chicago.

In Chicago, UIUC is still highly regarded among Big Law firms, regardless of ranking. They don't really care about the scandal with the dean that made them plummet.

User avatar
bmathers

Silver
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby bmathers » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:12 am

Really, the first rankings since the Dickinson vs Penn State Law split, and Dickinson was the big winner. Shot up 21 spots, PS Law only 4, putting some distance in their rankings.

It's also interesting to note that W&L gained 12 spots and is now a top 30 law school.

User avatar
Kali the Annihilator

Platinum
Posts: 8030
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:24 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Kali the Annihilator » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:14 am

WaPo reports that a medium sized Washington DC suburb has seen its rankings plummet. School Mayor searching for answers.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:16 am

Neither shocked nor surprised at UT joining the pantheon

WELL DESERVED WE DID IT

User avatar
carasrook

Bronze
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby carasrook » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:17 am

bwaldorf wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
carasrook wrote:
guybourdin wrote:Not that it actually changes how different the schools are, but funny to see Chicago and NU improve while literally every other Illinois school falls.


right? i thought UIUC would shoot back up eventually


Same. It has decent employment numbers and feeds a pretty strong market. Although, I'm still pretty bitter they are asking a life long resident to pay more to go to UIUC than WUSTL or Minnesota and haven't responded to my first e-mail in almost 2 weeks, so not too concerned.


Source: uncle is a hiring partner at Jones Day in Chicago.

In Chicago, UIUC is still highly regarded among Big Law firms, regardless of ranking. They don't really care about the scandal with the dean that made them plummet.


guybourdin - that's frustrating. more money might open up post-deposit deadline. are you leaning away from UIUC because of it?

and bwaldorf - yes, i've heard that as well... but it's still frustrating knowing UIUC has better employment numbers than some of the schools ranked higher... is it really just the result of a grudge/bad decision making by ONE employee? doesn't make sense to me.

User avatar
chili_davis

Bronze
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:27 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby chili_davis » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:18 am

UC Davis drops (-9) yikes....

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk

Gold
Posts: 3248
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:18 am

Kali the Annihilator wrote:WaPo reports that a medium sized Washington DC suburb has seen its rankings plummet. School Mayor searching for answers.


breitbart stated that the heavy influence of the coastal elite schools on biased ranking officials is primary source of the blame

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3433
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby guynourmin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:19 am

bwaldorf wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
carasrook wrote:
guybourdin wrote:Not that it actually changes how different the schools are, but funny to see Chicago and NU improve while literally every other Illinois school falls.


right? i thought UIUC would shoot back up eventually


Same. It has decent employment numbers and feeds a pretty strong market. Although, I'm still pretty bitter they are asking a life long resident to pay more to go to UIUC than WUSTL or Minnesota and haven't responded to my first e-mail in almost 2 weeks, so not too concerned.


Source: uncle is a hiring partner at Jones Day in Chicago.

In Chicago, UIUC is still highly regarded among Big Law firms, regardless of ranking. They don't really care about the scandal with the dean that made them plummet.


I hope it didn't sound like I was saying anything different! I would have thought the fact that it is still well regarded, and its employment numbers aren't horrible, would help it bounce back. For instance, UIUC's (44) employment score is basically the same as Wake (36) and Indiana (30), and its biglaw+fedclerk score blows those two out of the water, but the difference in ranking persists.

User avatar
jingosaur

Gold
Posts: 3188
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby jingosaur » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:20 am

BigZuck wrote:Neither shocked nor surprised at UT joining the pantheon

WELL DESERVED WE DID IT


UT senior associates automatically promoted to partner. Georgetown partners now all of-counsel.

Joe Jamail is smiling down from heaven.

curry1

Silver
Posts: 879
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby curry1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:22 am

Angry bros in Morningside Heights silently chanting "CCN."

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby TLSModBot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:22 am

Kali the Annihilator wrote:18,000 currently attending GULC students are apoplectic right now.

tbf half of those are poached from GW and AU so it's like fleeing the Titanic for the safety of the Lusitania

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1153
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby poptart123 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:22 am

Texas A&M hasn't stopped their progress yet. Amazing jumps each year.

haus

Gold
Posts: 3896
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby haus » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:23 am

Kali the Annihilator wrote:18,000 currently attending GULC students are apoplectic right now.

:D

User avatar
Kali the Annihilator

Platinum
Posts: 8030
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:24 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Kali the Annihilator » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:23 am

carasrook wrote:and bwaldorf - yes, i've heard that as well... but it's still frustrating knowing UIUC has better employment numbers than some of the schools ranked higher... is it really just the result of a grudge/bad decision making by ONE employee? doesn't make sense to me.

A grudge? Dude, the US News is pretty transparent about their ranking systems and how metrics are weighed.

From the site you are on right now:

25.00% - Peer Assessment Score
15.00% - Assessment Score by Lawyers/Judges
14.00% - Employment Rate 9 mos. After Graduation
12.50% - Median LSAT Scores
10.00% - Median UGPA
9.75% - Average instruction, library, and supporting services
4.00% - Employment Rate at Graduation
3.00% - Student/Faculty Ratio
2.50% - Acceptance Rate
2.00% - Bar Passage Rate
1.50% - Financial Aid
.75% - Library Resources

Employment accounts for a small portion of the rankings. Whether or not that is appropriate is a fair conversation, but you can find out the deal yourself if you look.

User avatar
Kali the Annihilator

Platinum
Posts: 8030
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:24 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Kali the Annihilator » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:24 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Kali the Annihilator wrote:18,000 currently attending GULC students are apoplectic right now.

tbf half of those are poached from GW and AU so it's like fleeing the Titanic for the safety of the Lusitania

Save the women and kids! Here, hand them to this dude in the woman suit!

Fiddlesticks

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:43 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Fiddlesticks » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:24 am

BigZuck wrote:Neither shocked nor surprised at UT joining the pantheon

WELL DESERVED WE DID IT


To be clear, UT has not joined anything. UT is still just outside the meaningful distinction. It is now the T13.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], nikonikoniko and 20 guests