2018 USNWR Rankings

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
baseballfan660

Bronze

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby baseballfan660 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:03 am

PrezRand wrote:I don't know what bubble you live in, but you guys are really exaggerating.

Stanford: Good sports. Football. In the same tier as the ivys
Texas: Football
Michigan: Football
Duke: Basketball
UCLA: Basketball, party school
USC: Football, party school

umich party school as well.

GOODWORKSTE

New

Postby GOODWORKSTE » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:04 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Georgetown's drop to 15 does not matter in the slightest. You know what every law school other than Harvard, Yale and Georgetown is? A lay prestige midget. Go out in the street and tell someone you went to New York University and they won't give two fucks. If I even say the word Georgetown in DC, they get on their knees.

What bubble do you guys live in? Schools like Michigan, Texas, Vandy, UCLA, USC, Duke, Columbia, and Stanford have name recognition like crazy. Do you guys just live under a rock?

lol. Let's see: state school, state school, never heard of it, state school, state school, good basketball team/lacrosse rapers, cocaine, easily confused with Samford and/or Stamford CT.

im heaving

youre serious?

GOODWORKSTE

New

Postby GOODWORKSTE » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:08 am

rpupkin wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Georgetown's drop to 15 does not matter in the slightest. You know what every law school other than Harvard, Yale and Georgetown is? A lay prestige midget. Go out in the street and tell someone you went to New York University and they won't give two fucks. If I even say the word Georgetown in DC, they get on their knees.

What bubble do you guys live in ? Schools like Michigan, Texas, Vandy, UCLA, USC, Duke, Columbia, and Stanford have name recognition like crazy. Do you guys just live under a rock?

We're living in the bubble of lay prestige. The man has a point. Let's run down what happens after HY:

Chicago. Until I started looking into law schools and started paying attention to legal prestige, I honestly thought that the University of Chicago was a community college.

One must admit that Georgetown seems pretty damn prestigious by comparison.

hahhhaahahaha

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:21 am

baseballfan660 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I don't know what bubble you live in, but you guys are really exaggerating.

umich party school as well.

Yeah, all bow before the mighty sports prowess of The Angry Tree!

mudiverse

Bronze

Postby mudiverse » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:29 am

Barely a day and we have already destroyed all semblance of rational discussion in the 2018 USNWR thread. I am proud to the point of tears.

haus

Gold

Postby haus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:47 am

mudiverse wrote:Barely a day and we have already destroyed all semblance of rational discussion in the 2018 USNWR thread. I am proud to the point of tears.

Honestly, how much credence can be put into a magizine ranking for a magizine that has been out of print for years?

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:49 am

haus wrote:
mudiverse wrote:Barely a day and we have already destroyed all semblance of rational discussion in the 2018 USNWR thread. I am proud to the point of tears.

Honestly, how much credence can be put into a magizine ranking for a magizine that has been out of print for years?

It's not even about USNWR anymore. This is about being on the right side of history.

mudiverse

Bronze

Postby mudiverse » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:54 am

haus wrote:

Very true. I wish someone would do some research to analyze how USNWR impacts behavior of law applicants and law schools beyond the anecdotes we already have.

OtterLaw

Silver

Postby OtterLaw » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:42 am

mudiverse wrote:
haus wrote:

Very true. I wish someone would do some research to analyze how USNWR impacts behavior of law applicants and law schools beyond the anecdotes we already have.

FWIW, I withdrew from Duke after the rankings came out last year. I didn't want to be a part of their free fall in the rankings.

J/k they rejected me.

TudoBem

Bronze

Postby TudoBem » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:10 am

Sorry but rankings matter. It won't matter to you if you are already working for a V100 and making more than $180K a year. Look at employment/bar pass rate or just browse where the lawyers from top law firms graduated from. I am sorry that this hurt, but rankings are important. This is the real world. let's face it.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:18 am

wiz wrote:Also, can you please rank the following abodes?

Bubble
Box
Rock

Box >Bubble >= Rock

The box is highly customizable. Pair your box with a nice bush and you got some solid feng shui.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:27 am

TWiiX wrote:

Bubble
Box
Rock

Box >Bubble >= Rock

The box is highly customizable. Pair your box with a nice bush and you got some solid feng shui.

I dunno...I think a bubble would some comfy living.

I think we can all agree that a rock is the worst.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Postby KissMyAxe » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:41 am

LOL. Where have you been since 2009? Texas lost to Kansas. Similarly, Stanford plays in the Pac 12, that automatically means they're a shitty football team. They couldn't compete in the SEC or ACC. Also, HYPSM isn't a thing. Stop trying to make it a thing. I'll grant you the basketball teams, and Michigan for football, although FSU dominated them.

Also, on the prestige/ name recognition argument, I had never heard of Chicago or knew Northwestern or NYU were so good until I started researching schools. But they're obviously great. So I'm not sure name recognition is what you should be using when talking about law school powerhouses.

Finally,

Box is better than Rock but that's better than Bubble. Patrick from Spongebob lived under a rock and it seemed to work out well for him. It was a pretty nice place.
Last edited by KissMyAxe on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bearlyalive

Silver

Postby Bearlyalive » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:42 am

I wish UCLA was a party school...

michlaw

Bronze

Postby michlaw » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:55 am

Sports do bring money and money gives a school flexibility. Compare Michigan to NYU. Both schools started back in the early 1800's. Michigan's endowment is $9.7 billion while NYU's is $3.4 billion. A startling difference. Love em or hate em jock alums support their schools. Michigan's annual sports revenue is $160 million. The Ivy's started as a sports conference. Harvard endowment $37 billion Yale $25 billion.

TudoBem

Bronze

Postby TudoBem » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:56 am

This is what is also very important:
Top 10 by % of graduates placed at the V100.

Source: National Law Journal :

The TOP 10 - 2017
Rank Law school % OF GRADUATES AT THE LARGEST 100 FIRMS
1 Columbia Law School 57.07%
2 University of Chicago Law School 48.84%
3 Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law 47.58%
4 Cornell Law School 47.54%
5 New York University School of Law 47.42%
6 Duke Law School 45.50%
7 University of Virginia School of Law 44.85%
8 University of Pennsylvania Law School 43.80%
9 Harvard Law School 42.81%
10 Stanford Law School 39.34%

jingosaur

Gold

Postby jingosaur » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:58 am

Mods, please change this poster's name to "Regional_Scholly"

And they only get on their knees because you can still borrow up to COA from the government.

jingosaur

Gold

Postby jingosaur » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:02 am

michlaw wrote:Sports do bring money and money gives a school flexibility. Compare Michigan to NYU. Both schools started back in the early 1800's. Michigan's endowment is $9.7 billion while NYU's is $3.4 billion. A startling difference. Love em or hate em jock alums support their schools. Michigan's annual sports revenue is $160 million. The Ivy's started as a sports conference. Harvard endowment $37 billion Yale $25 billion.

NYU has that prime Manhattan real estate though. Also the preferred choice of trust fund babies. And NYU law makes it very clear that it is more selective and prestigious than the rest of NYU.

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Postby Kali the Annihilator » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:03 am

Look everyone! I found the meta-commentary guy! Those farts smell gooooooooooooood, eh fam?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:10 am

Tier 1: PSYCHM
Tier 2: Duke, Chicago, Columbia, UPenn, Vanderbilt, Brown, Dartmouth, Rice, Cornell, (maybe) Northwestern, (maybe) Georgetown, (maybe) Hopkins, (maybe) WUSTL, possibly one or two others I'm missing.
TTT: pretty much everything else.
Last edited by Hikikomorist on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:11 am

Kind of unfair that LACs can't have lay prestige.

smaug

Diamond

Postby smaug » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:12 am

TWiiX wrote:

Bubble
Box
Rock

Box >Bubble >= Rock

Idk I think the bubble has more lay prestige.

Filter/bubble has been all over the news.

I'd take bubble unless box gave you a much better scholly

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Postby KissMyAxe » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:20 am

smaug wrote:
TWiiX wrote:

Bubble
Box
Rock

Box >Bubble >= Rock

Idk I think the bubble has more lay prestige.

Filter/bubble has been all over the news.

I'd take bubble unless box gave you a much better scholly

Retake, ED Rock.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:25 am

jingosaur wrote:

Mods, please change this poster's name to "Regional_Scholly"

And they only get on their knees because you can still borrow up to COA from the government.

Hey, he deserves "Super_Regional_Scholly"

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Postby Kali the Annihilator » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:31 am

Did any of you guys see that movie "The Wall" where Matt Damon fought off hordes of angry GULC alums? I couldn't understand why they were so pissed, but I get it now.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?