2018 USNWR Rankings

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whysooseriousbiglaw

New
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:44 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby whysooseriousbiglaw » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:40 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
whysooseriousbiglaw wrote:ABA should just shut down every school that's not in the top 13 and call it a day.

Do we get refunds?

Yes, these scam schools should pay.

ABA should pay too for allowing this just to get fees.

User avatar
Tazewell

Bronze
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:43 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Tazewell » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:50 am

BasilHallward wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
bmathers wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:The "A&M" rebranding of former Texas Wesleyan law is paying off. Texas A&M Law was ranked #150 two years ago, #111 last year, up to #92. Watch out SMU, the charade is up.

There was a user about a year ago, who asked about thoughts on A&M, that he was considering the school and felt that it was up and coming after attending ASD (his numbers were not great, if I remember correctly, and it was his best offer - ultimately, I think that he retook). He was laughed out of TLS, with the "it's still Wesleyan" cracks. May have been a good move, as I'm not sure if its reputation is any different - but perhaps this user's hunch was correct that they were a school on the rise

Skimming this quickly, I was really confused why someone was being mocked for attending Wesleyan.



Yeah, strange lawl. But yeah it's on the rise likely because of its new name, the insane growth of the larger Dallas/Fort Worth area. People tend to forget about Fort Worth for good reason, but the population is booming. A&M's Median LSAT was 157, a marked increase from 150-land under the Wesleyan name. Obviously A&M is not going to compete with SMU for a while (10 years) and UT for a century, but good stuff is happening at A&M overall.

Edit: Grammar


I think this is spot on. I went to A&M for undergrad, and the alumni network is no joke. I think once the law school can get an established alumni network it will really take off. Give them 10ish more years and I think they'll consistently hover around 50-60 like SMU, UH, and Baylor do. They'll never compete with UT Law, but I think they can start hurting SMU in the pretty near future.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:02 am

Caught the GULC kid down the hall sobbing at his desk at lunch and the tyrannical mid-level I've been stuck with popped his head in my office at 8:15 and said "You can go home early tonight, ya'll done enough for one day" and flashed the Hookem Horns sign.

TODAY WAS A GOOD DAY

User avatar
mornincounselor

Silver
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby mornincounselor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:06 am

BigZuck wrote:Caught the GULC kid down the hall sobbing at his desk at lunch and the tyrannical mid-level I've been stuck with popped his head in my office at 8:15 and said "You can go home early tonight, ya'll done enough for one day" and flashed the Hookem Horns sign.

TODAY WAS A GOOD DAY


:lol:

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7649
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:07 am

BigZuck wrote:Caught the GULC kid down the hall sobbing at his desk at lunch and the tyrannical mid-level I've been stuck with popped his head in my office at 8:15 and said "You can go home early tonight, ya'll done enough for one day" and flashed the Hookem Horns sign.

TODAY WAS A GOOD DAY


Joined the t14 brotherhood and basically locked up partner in one day. Kudos, man. I, for one, cheer on our future Texan overlords.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby rpupkin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:07 am

BigZuck wrote:Caught the GULC kid down the hall sobbing at his desk at lunch and the tyrannical mid-level I've been stuck with popped his head in my office at 8:15 and said "You can go home early tonight, ya'll done enough for one day" and flashed the Hookem Horns sign.

TODAY WAS A GOOD DAY


Well played.

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby PrezRand » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:26 am

lawman84 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Caught the GULC kid down the hall sobbing at his desk at lunch and the tyrannical mid-level I've been stuck with popped his head in my office at 8:15 and said "You can go home early tonight, ya'll done enough for one day" and flashed the Hookem Horns sign.

TODAY WAS A GOOD DAY


Joined the t14 brotherhood and basically locked up partner in one day. Kudos, man. I, for one, cheer on our future Texan overlords.

What does t14 have to do with locking up partner?

User avatar
T14_Scholly

Bronze
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby T14_Scholly » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:27 am

Georgetown's drop to 15 does not matter in the slightest. You know what every law school other than Harvard, Yale and Georgetown is? A lay prestige midget. Go out in the street and tell someone you went to New York University and they won't give two fucks. If I even say the word Georgetown in DC, they get on their knees.

User avatar
rcharter1978

Gold
Posts: 4275
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:30 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
bmathers wrote:
jingosaur wrote:Haven't stayed current on this thread. Have Georgetown and McGeorge merged yet? Basically the same school at this point.

McGeorgetown?

Hey some of my classmates have landed as high as Five Guys or Chop't cashier; this moniker makes us look like underachieving McDonald's flunkies and is grossly unfair


No, it just makes you all sound like an exotic new burger on the dollar menu. With a slice of cheese product and some secret sauce.

User avatar
rcharter1978

Gold
Posts: 4275
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:31 am

T14_Scholly wrote:Georgetown's drop to 15 does not matter in the slightest. You know what every law school other than Harvard, Yale and Georgetown is? A lay prestige midget. Go out in the street and tell someone you went to New York University and they won't give two fucks. If I even say the word Georgetown in DC, they get on their knees.


Because they know you have $20 for the blow job?

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby PrezRand » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:40 am

T14_Scholly wrote:Georgetown's drop to 15 does not matter in the slightest. You know what every law school other than Harvard, Yale and Georgetown is? A lay prestige midget. Go out in the street and tell someone you went to New York University and they won't give two fucks. If I even say the word Georgetown in DC, they get on their knees.

What bubble do you guys live in? Schools like Michigan, Texas, Vandy, UCLA, USC, Duke, Columbia, and Stanford have name recognition like crazy. Do you guys just live under a rock?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter

Diamond
Posts: 17152
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:43 am

PrezRand wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Georgetown's drop to 15 does not matter in the slightest. You know what every law school other than Harvard, Yale and Georgetown is? A lay prestige midget. Go out in the street and tell someone you went to New York University and they won't give two fucks. If I even say the word Georgetown in DC, they get on their knees.

What bubble do you guys live in? Schools like Michigan, Texas, Vandy, UCLA, USC, Duke, Columbia, and Stanford have name recognition like crazy. Do you guys just live under a rock?

lol. Let's see: state school, state school, never heard of it, state school, state school, good basketball team/lacrosse rapers, cocaine, easily confused with Samford and/or Stamford CT.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7649
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:44 am

PrezRand wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Caught the GULC kid down the hall sobbing at his desk at lunch and the tyrannical mid-level I've been stuck with popped his head in my office at 8:15 and said "You can go home early tonight, ya'll done enough for one day" and flashed the Hookem Horns sign.

TODAY WAS A GOOD DAY


Joined the t14 brotherhood and basically locked up partner in one day. Kudos, man. I, for one, cheer on our future Texan overlords.

What does t14 have to do with locking up partner?


Are you a Georgetown student/graduate? A t14 law student/graduate would get this. Will one of my Texas peeps please explain?

rcharter1978 wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Georgetown's drop to 15 does not matter in the slightest. You know what every law school other than Harvard, Yale and Georgetown is? A lay prestige midget. Go out in the street and tell someone you went to New York University and they won't give two fucks. If I even say the word Georgetown in DC, they get on their knees.


Because they know you have $20 for the blow job?


He's saying the word "Georgetown." They know he doesn't have $20 for a blowjob. It's charity.

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby PrezRand » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:45 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Georgetown's drop to 15 does not matter in the slightest. You know what every law school other than Harvard, Yale and Georgetown is? A lay prestige midget. Go out in the street and tell someone you went to New York University and they won't give two fucks. If I even say the word Georgetown in DC, they get on their knees.

What bubble do you guys live in? Schools like Michigan, Texas, Vandy, UCLA, USC, Duke, Columbia, and Stanford have name recognition like crazy. Do you guys just live under a rock?

lol. Let's see: state school, state school, never heard of it, state school, state school, good basketball team/lacrosse rapers, cocaine, easily confused with Samford and/or Stamford CT.

Damn, you really do live under a box. Not surprised tho

User avatar
Tiago Splitter

Diamond
Posts: 17152
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:46 am

PrezRand wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Georgetown's drop to 15 does not matter in the slightest. You know what every law school other than Harvard, Yale and Georgetown is? A lay prestige midget. Go out in the street and tell someone you went to New York University and they won't give two fucks. If I even say the word Georgetown in DC, they get on their knees.

What bubble do you guys live in? Schools like Michigan, Texas, Vandy, UCLA, USC, Duke, Columbia, and Stanford have name recognition like crazy. Do you guys just live under a rock?

lol. Let's see: state school, state school, never heard of it, state school, state school, good basketball team/lacrosse rapers, cocaine, easily confused with Samford and/or Stamford CT.

Damn, you really do live under a box. Not surprised tho

Upgrade from a rock I suppose

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10257
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:50 am

T14_Scholly wrote:Georgetown's drop to 15 does not matter in the slightest. You know what every law school other than Harvard, Yale and Georgetown is? A lay prestige midget. Go out in the street and tell someone you went to New York University and they won't give two fucks. If I even say the word Georgetown in DC, they get on their knees.


Wow you're a sad little man

User avatar
wiz

Diamond
Posts: 44573
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby wiz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:59 am

Is this a joke? The only law schools with any lay prestige whatsoever are Harvard, Yale, and The University of Texas.

What even is a Georgetown.

User avatar
bugsy33

Bronze
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:04 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby bugsy33 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:17 am

Fun Fact:

Texas is the only T14 school to have won a national title in football in the new millennium. Truly the school of the future. Tom Herman has done incredible things in his short tenure here.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby rpupkin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:18 am

PrezRand wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Georgetown's drop to 15 does not matter in the slightest. You know what every law school other than Harvard, Yale and Georgetown is? A lay prestige midget. Go out in the street and tell someone you went to New York University and they won't give two fucks. If I even say the word Georgetown in DC, they get on their knees.

What bubble do you guys live in ? Schools like Michigan, Texas, Vandy, UCLA, USC, Duke, Columbia, and Stanford have name recognition like crazy. Do you guys just live under a rock?

We're living in the bubble of lay prestige. The man has a point. Let's run down what happens after HY:

Stanford. Somewhat prestigious on the West Coast, but only known outside of California for Tiger Woods, Chelsea Clinton, and Jim Harbaugh. It's hilarious that Stanford gets grouped with Harvard and Yale in the "HYS" tier. While countless Harvard and Yale grads have served as Justices on the Supreme Court, only two Stanford grads have made it to SCOTUS—one is dead, and the other is a woman. Sad!

Chicago. Until I started looking into law schools and started paying attention to legal prestige, I honestly thought that the University of Chicago was a community college.

Columbia. Outside of New York City, most people don't realize that Columbia is an Ivy League School. Indeed, most think it's on an entirely different continent.

NYU. Is this the same thing as the City College of New York? After three years of law school and several years of practicing law, I'm still not sure.

Penn. It's impossible to even type "Penn" without LOL'ing. Lay people think it's a state school. And elite-legal types think it's a total joke, due to stuff like this: http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2013_ ... ment.shtml
I mean, look at Penn's pathetic SCOTUS clerkship placement: only 5 clerks in 11 years. GULC had twice as many SCOTUS clerks in that time span. Penn had fewer SCOTUS clerks than University of Texas, University of Georgia (!), and GW. It's a miracle that USNWR keeps Penn in the T14.

Michigan. It's basically Berkeley with colder weather and even less prestige. Pathetic.

UVA. Has a graduate of this law school ever passed a state's bar exam?

Duke. No one knows what state it's in, let alone whether it's prestigious. Fratty and rapey.

Northwestern. For years, I confused it with Northeastern, which is #82 in the rankings. That should tell you something. Also, half the country thinks it's in Oregon or Washington.

Berkeley. Its strengths are hiring law school deans who sexually harass staff and students, assembling football teams that lose games, and lighting things on fire during "protests." Also, its only grad to reach SCOTUS got appointed because VP Nixon (who was a Duke Law grad—lol again @ Duke) wanted to eliminate a political opponent.

Cornell. I think this school only exists to make Penn feel better about itself. A top-rated sitcom had a running gag based on Cornell's third-tier reputation.

One must admit that Georgetown seems pretty damn prestigious by comparison.

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby PrezRand » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:23 am

I don't know what bubble you live in, but you guys are really exaggerating.

Stanford: Good sports. Football. In the same tier as the ivys
Texas: Football
Michigan: Football
Duke: Basketball
UCLA: Basketball, party school
USC: Football, party school

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby chargers21 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:27 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Georgetown's drop to 15 does not matter in the slightest. You know what every law school other than Harvard, Yale and Georgetown is? A lay prestige midget. Go out in the street and tell someone you went to New York University and they won't give two fucks. If I even say the word Georgetown in DC, they get on their knees.

What bubble do you guys live in? Schools like Michigan, Texas, Vandy, UCLA, USC, Duke, Columbia, and Stanford have name recognition like crazy. Do you guys just live under a rock?

lol. Let's see: state school, state school, never heard of it, state school, state school, good basketball team/lacrosse rapers, cocaine, easily confused with Samford and/or Stamford CT.

Damn, you really do live under a box. Not surprised tho

Upgrade from a rock I suppose

USC is private :shock:

User avatar
wiz

Diamond
Posts: 44573
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby wiz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:28 am

PrezRand wrote:I don't know what bubble you live in, but you guys are really exaggerating.

Stanford: Good sports. Football. In the same tier as the ivys
Texas: Football
Michigan: Football
Duke: Basketball
UCLA: Basketball, party school
USC: Football, party school

Everybody knows that Stanford isn't an IVY.

The only people who ever try to make HYPSM a thing are Stanford and MIT students (lol at them).

You've already said it best though: We're really talking about schools where dumb jocks go to play sports. These aren't beacons of prestige.

User avatar
wiz

Diamond
Posts: 44573
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby wiz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:29 am

Also, can you please rank the following abodes?

Bubble
Box
Rock

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby PrezRand » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:34 am

wiz wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I don't know what bubble you live in, but you guys are really exaggerating.

Stanford: Good sports. Football. In the same tier as the ivys
Texas: Football
Michigan: Football
Duke: Basketball
UCLA: Basketball, party school
USC: Football, party school

Everybody knows that Stanford isn't an IVY.

The only people who ever try to make HYPSM a thing are Stanford and MIT students (lol at them).

You've already said it best though: We're really talking about schools where dumb jocks go to play sports. These aren't beacons of prestige.

Having prestigious sports programs is not prestige? All of the schools listed also have prestigious programs one way or another but the point is these are not schools your average person has not heard about.



Also, I never said Stanford was an ivy. It is in the same tier as an ivy league. The same for MIT. And no, it isn't just SM students that put them there. Stanford and MIT are always ranked comparatively to HYP

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby chargers21 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:42 am

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 9 guests