2018 USNWR Rankings

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SNightHighlights

New

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby SNightHighlights » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:48 pm

guybourdin wrote:
SNightHighlights wrote:
guybourdin wrote:Not that it actually changes how different the schools are, but funny to see Chicago and NU improve while literally every other Illinois school falls.

They're both private schools in the midst of a state that refuses to fund its public institutions. Not really a surprise IMO.

The other 4 law schools in the city are all private too...

I'm not sure DePaul and Loyola really fall within the scope of the discussion owing to their lower caliber as academic institutions but yeah they are indeed private.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:52 pm

TudoBem wrote:
Rigo wrote:I don't get how rinky dink iowa is T20.

same

Iowa has a 89.1% bar passage rate and only 5.5% of its students unemployed according to its ABA employment report. Meanwhile, Notre Dame, which it shares its ranking with, has a 84.5% bar passage rate and 12.3% of its students are unemployed. Iowa's better placement statistics probably make up for its lagging LSAT median (161) and median GPA (3.61). Also, two other stats probably help bridge the gap. First, Iowa's law library is huge (I want to say its only smaller than Harvard's in size of collection), which accounts for like 0.5% of the rankings. Second, Iowa's student faculty is 8.7:1 according to US News, which puts it at one of the smallest in the country.

This is like the 3rd post questioning Iowa's placement, and I have no clue why. It's pretty easy to explain.

BasilHallward

Silver

Postby BasilHallward » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:19 pm

The "A&M" rebranding of former Texas Wesleyan law is paying off. Texas A&M Law was ranked #150 two years ago, #111 last year, up to #92. Watch out SMU, the charade is up.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:32 pm

BasilHallward wrote:The "A&M" rebranding of former Texas Wesleyan law is paying off. Texas A&M Law was ranked #150 two years ago, #111 last year, up to #92. Watch out SMU, the charade is up.

There was a user about a year ago, who asked about thoughts on A&M, that he was considering the school and felt that it was up and coming after attending ASD (his numbers were not great, if I remember correctly, and it was his best offer - ultimately, I think that he retook). He was laughed out of TLS, with the "it's still Wesleyan" cracks. May have been a good move, as I'm not sure if its reputation is any different - but perhaps this user's hunch was correct that they were a school on the rise

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:35 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
TudoBem wrote:

same

Iowa has a 89.1% bar passage rate and only 5.5% of its students unemployed according to its ABA employment report. Meanwhile, Notre Dame, which it shares its ranking with, has a 84.5% bar passage rate and 12.3% of its students are unemployed. Iowa's better placement statistics probably make up for its lagging LSAT median (161) and median GPA (3.61). Also, two other stats probably help bridge the gap. First, Iowa's law library is huge (I want to say its only smaller than Harvard's in size of collection), which accounts for like 0.5% of the rankings. Second, Iowa's student faculty is 8.7:1 according to US News, which puts it at one of the smallest in the country.

This is like the 3rd post questioning Iowa's placement, and I have no clue why. It's pretty easy to explain.

Isn't the size of your library a bit archaic anymore? This world is turning digital, which you don't need a large facility for.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:37 pm

bmathers wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:The "A&M" rebranding of former Texas Wesleyan law is paying off. Texas A&M Law was ranked #150 two years ago, #111 last year, up to #92. Watch out SMU, the charade is up.

There was a user about a year ago, who asked about thoughts on A&M, that he was considering the school and felt that it was up and coming after attending ASD (his numbers were not great, if I remember correctly, and it was his best offer - ultimately, I think that he retook). He was laughed out of TLS, with the "it's still Wesleyan" cracks. May have been a good move, as I'm not sure if its reputation is any different - but perhaps this user's hunch was correct that they were a school on the rise

Skimming this quickly, I was really confused why someone was being mocked for attending Wesleyan.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:48 pm

cub1014 wrote:There are multiple schools that should be above Michigan at this point and aren't. USNWR does not put enough emphasis on job outcomes!

Yup, Duke and NU are both better for a job, and Duke clerkship numbers are absolutely on par. I still think mich will be above 10 soon

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:51 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
cub1014 wrote:There are multiple schools that should be above Michigan at this point and aren't. USNWR does not put enough emphasis on job outcomes!

Yup, Duke and NU are both better for a job, and Duke clerkship numbers are absolutely on par. I still think mich will be above 10 soon

My honest opinion on why this travesty happens is because Michigan has more books than Duke. Thats the only reason I can think of, because in every other metric Duke does better. Even NU now too over Mich.

shadowfax

Bronze

Postby shadowfax » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:51 pm

georgej wrote:Harvard already planning revenge raid ala general woundwort and his efrafrans against watership down (stanford). This agressions will not stand, man

I'm telling you Harvard is splitting into 2 schools. They are going to cherry pick the top 170 admits and put them into Harvard 1. That school will become the topped ranked law school. Harvard 2 will be the other 390 and that school will be ranked no worse than 4th. If you can't beat them...

Pneumonia

Gold

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:56 pm

North wrote:Where

were the salsa and the stachios?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:58 pm

shadowfax wrote:
georgej wrote:Harvard already planning revenge raid ala general woundwort and his efrafrans against watership down (stanford). This agressions will not stand, man

I'm telling you Harvard is splitting into 2 schools. They are going to cherry pick the top 170 admits and put them into Harvard 1.

Your "Harvard 1" would still rank behind Yale.

And LOL @ HLS's Georgetown-level enrollment numbers. I won't be surprised if Chicago catches HLS in the next three years.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:00 pm

grades?? wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:

My honest opinion on why this travesty happens is because Michigan has more books than Duke. Thats the only reason I can think of, because in every other metric Duke does better. Even NU now too over Mich.

Black box rep scores that poll boomers. The usnwr rankings are shitty. It isn't the .5% or whatever library score.

And including ug, law has a ton of Michigan alums

georgej

Gold

Postby georgej » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:01 pm

rpupkin wrote:
shadowfax wrote:

I'm telling you Harvard is splitting into 2 schools. They are going to cherry pick the top 170 admits and put them into Harvard 1.

Your "Harvard 1" would still rank behind Yale.

And LOL @ HLS's Georgetown-level enrollment numbers. I won't be surprised if Chicago catches HLS in the next three years.

Give us our does back bro

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:07 pm

bmathers wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
TudoBem wrote:

same

Isn't the size of your library a bit archaic anymore? This world is turning digital, which you don't need a large facility for.

It sounds archaic, but for all I know it could also include digital volumes and titles. Also, I'm not defending Iowa's placement at 20; I'm just explaining why it is at 20.

BasilHallward

Silver

Postby BasilHallward » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:10 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
bmathers wrote:

Skimming this quickly, I was really confused why someone was being mocked for attending Wesleyan.

Yeah, strange lawl. But yeah it's on the rise likely because of its new name, the insane growth of the larger Dallas/Fort Worth area. People tend to forget about Fort Worth for good reason, but the population is booming. A&M's Median LSAT was 157, a marked increase from 150-land under the Wesleyan name. Obviously A&M is not going to compete with SMU for a while (10 years) and UT for a century, but good stuff is happening at A&M overall.

Edit: Grammar

jingosaur

Gold

Postby jingosaur » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:20 pm

Haven't stayed current on this thread. Have Georgetown and McGeorge merged yet? Basically the same school at this point.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:22 pm

jingosaur wrote:Haven't stayed current on this thread. Have Georgetown and McGeorge merged yet? Basically the same school at this point.

McGeorgetown?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:29 pm

bmathers wrote:
jingosaur wrote:Haven't stayed current on this thread. Have Georgetown and McGeorge merged yet? Basically the same school at this point.

McGeorgetown?

Hey some of my classmates have landed as high as Five Guys or Chop't cashier; this moniker makes us look like underachieving McDonald's flunkies and is grossly unfair

canafsa

Bronze

Postby canafsa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:32 pm

Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wild Card

Bronze

Postby Wild Card » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:37 pm

alpinespring wrote:HLS should immediately fire its Admissions Director.

Her qualifications are working two years at Bain after graduating from HLS.

jingosaur

Gold

Postby jingosaur » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Wild Card wrote:
alpinespring wrote:HLS should immediately fire its Admissions Director.

Her qualifications are working two years at Bain after graduating from HLS.

There is a large protest in Harvard Square right now. Many think it's about Muslim Ban 2.0 but we all know what it's really about.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:46 pm

canafsa wrote:
Npret wrote:
brightthru2014 wrote:As someone who goes to GULC:

No one finds #5 problematic?

lol. jesus.

"We don't have time for total political correctness" - Concerned GeorgeTTTown Law Center student
Last edited by Pomeranian on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:51 pm

Is it about time to put together the "Dean Carrousel"? Who is going to be out there on the market for other schools to acquire? Who is on the hot seat? It's about time one of the TTTT hires a big name to take them to the promised land, and GULC's dean may fit that criteria.

whysooseriousbiglaw

New

Postby whysooseriousbiglaw » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:33 pm

ABA should just shut down every school that's not in the top 13 and call it a day.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:38 pm

whysooseriousbiglaw wrote:ABA should just shut down every school that's not in the top 13 and call it a day.

Do we get refunds?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?