2018 USNWR Rankings

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hikikomorist

Platinum

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:51 pm

dbalkaran wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
dbalkaran wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Kronk wrote:UT Austin is actually better than either of those schools if we're considering North Carolina and Texas the South

Are you delusional?

The whole undergrad prestige thing is stupid. Specializations matter way more in undergrad so depending on what you study the top schools change.

For example look at the Bloomberg Top 10 undergrad business schools.

1. Villanova
2. Notre Dame
3. Boston College
4. Indiana
5. UVA
6. UT
7. UNC
8. Michigan
9. NYU
10. Bentley

Don't think anyone would consider Indiana or Bentley national powerhouse schools, but for business they place extremely well into all of the top accounting, finance, and consulting firms. I went to Bentley and it was weird to not see someone working at Deloitte, PwC, E&Y, KPMG, Bain, Merrill Lynch, JP Morgan and other places with similar prestige. If you look at the Top 10 Engineering schools for undergrad there's literally one school that's the same.

1. MIT
2. Stanford
3. Cal Berkeley
4. Cal Tech
5. Georgia Tech
6. University of Illinois
7. Michigan
8. Carnegie Mellon
9. Cornell
10. Purdue

IMO undergrad matters far less than grad school. A good GPA is the most important thing whether you went to some random state school or NYU. If you graduate from a top school with a shit GPA you're no better than a state school kid with a 3.9-4.0 from what I've seen.

I have literally never heard anyone call Bentley a feeder for mbb or bb ibd.

The big4 are not prestigious. Anyone with a pulse and 150 accounting course hours can get a job in big4 accounting.

Sure they can. I'd love to see all the kids from Florida State at Deloitte. Who doesn't consider a job at PwC prestigious? You're in the minority there thinking that the Big4 aren't prestigious. There are plenty of kids that work at Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, UBS, Citibank, State Street and other banks from Bentley. I never said they were a feeder school, but kids from Bentley or any of the other schools in the list I presented have no problems getting jobs at prestigious companies.

Can someone run a LinkedIn search looking at the number of Bentley (not the car, apparently) alumni at MBB/BB IBD? I would, but I'm currently restricted due to being at my non-commercial limit. Maybe compare with a similarly sized/smaller LAC (PAWS-tier).
Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:53 pm

dbalkaran wrote:
FascinatedWanderer wrote:I don't know what's happening here but no one cares about undergrad business rankings. If you're doing "business" at Villanova or Bentley all that means is you weren't smart enough to major in Econ at Harvard, MIT, Columbia etc.

Most people (27%) who go into investment banking are finance majors and none of those schools offer a degree in finance. 14% of people come from an economics background so I'm not sure how you think the only people getting into top banks are from Ivy econ programs.

I'm sure those MIT grads are ruing their decision not to have heard of Bentley.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:55 pm

A quick linkedin search on past employer McKinsey with school Bentley turned up 32 people. Same search for Columbia turned up about 200,000.

Bain turns up a whopping 78 for Bentley. Really crushing it.

Sorry for edits.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:22 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:A quick linkedin search on past employer McKinsey with school Bentley turned up 32 people. Same search for Columbia turned up about 200,000.

Sorry for edits.

Only about 4000 students enrolled.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:29 pm

star fox wrote:
FascinatedWanderer wrote:A quick linkedin search on past employer McKinsey with school Bentley turned up 32 people. Same search for Columbia turned up about 200,000.

Sorry for edits.

Only about 4000 students enrolled.

Only 6k or so for Columbia UG.

Lawl_Schoolz

New

Postby Lawl_Schoolz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:41 pm

Last edited by Lawl_Schoolz on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:43 pm

Lawl_Schoolz wrote:91 McKinsey for Amherst & 80 Bain (1792 students)
107 McKinsey for Williams & 125 Bain (2099 students)

Current or past?

Lawl_Schoolz

New

Postby Lawl_Schoolz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Last edited by Lawl_Schoolz on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiz

Diamond

Postby wiz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:36 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
dbalkaran wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
dbalkaran wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Kronk wrote:UT Austin is actually better than either of those schools if we're considering North Carolina and Texas the South

Are you delusional?

The whole undergrad prestige thing is stupid. Specializations matter way more in undergrad so depending on what you study the top schools change.

1. Villanova
2. Notre Dame
3. Boston College
4. Indiana
5. UVA
6. UT
7. UNC
8. Michigan
9. NYU
10. Bentley

Don't think anyone would consider Indiana or Bentley national powerhouse schools, but for business they place extremely well into all of the top accounting, finance, and consulting firms. I went to Bentley and it was weird to not see someone working at Deloitte, PwC, E&Y, KPMG, Bain, Merrill Lynch, JP Morgan and other places with similar prestige. If you look at the Top 10 Engineering schools for undergrad there's literally one school that's the same.

1. MIT
2. Stanford
3. Cal Berkeley
4. Cal Tech
5. Georgia Tech
7. Michigan
8. Carnegie Mellon
9. Cornell
10. Purdue

IMO undergrad matters far less than grad school. A good GPA is the most important thing whether you went to some random state school or NYU. If you graduate from a top school with a shit GPA you're no better than a state school kid with a 3.9-4.0 from what I've seen.

The big4 are not prestigious. Anyone with a pulse and 150 accounting course hours can get a job in big4 accounting.

Sure they can. I'd love to see all the kids from Florida State at Deloitte. Who doesn't consider a job at PwC prestigious? You're in the minority there thinking that the Big4 aren't prestigious. There are plenty of kids that work at Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, UBS, Citibank, State Street and other banks from Bentley. I never said they were a feeder school, but kids from Bentley or any of the other schools in the list I presented have no problems getting jobs at prestigious companies.

Can someone run a LinkedIn search looking at the number of Bentley (not the car, apparently) alumni at MBB/BB IBD? I would, but I'm currently restricted due to being at my non-commercial limit. Maybe compare with a similarly sized/smaller LAC (PAWS-tier).

Why is PAWS a tier? Amherst/Williams (1a) and Swarthmore (1b) are in their own league when it comes to LACs.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm glad we've rigorously established that Bentley isn't a good school but I'm confused as do why it was necessary.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:54 pm

wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
dbalkaran wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
dbalkaran wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:

Are you delusional?

1. Villanova
2. Notre Dame
3. Boston College
4. Indiana
5. UVA
6. UT
7. UNC
8. Michigan
9. NYU
10. Bentley

1. MIT
2. Stanford
3. Cal Berkeley
4. Cal Tech
5. Georgia Tech
7. Michigan
8. Carnegie Mellon
9. Cornell
10. Purdue

Why is PAWS a tier? Amherst/Williams (1a) and Swarthmore (1b) are in their own league when it comes to LACs.

This is probably the most important thing I have going on in my life: making sure people recognize Pomona's rightful place among elite LACs. Test scores and per-student endowment. Maybe not quite there yet in terms of lay prestige, but they deserve it and should get there. See them as the Stanford of LACs.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:54 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:I'm glad we've rigorously established that Bentley isn't a good school but I'm confused as do why it was necessary.

Yeah, we might have jumped the shark there.

wiz

Diamond

Postby wiz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:01 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:This is probably the most important thing I have going on in my life: making sure people recognize Pomona's rightful place among elite LACs. Test scores and per-student endowment. Maybe not quite there yet in terms of lay prestige, but they deserve it and should get there. See them as the Stanford of LACs.

Per-student endowment has some serious non-prestigious outliers (Berea College, University of Richmond, Washington and Lee University), and I don't think anybody would consider Wellesley/Grinnell more prestigious than Chicago. Test scores still fall into the inputs category, but Pomona doesn't have the prestige of Amherst/Williams/Swathmore, which themselves don't have actual prestige by virtue of being LACs.

Stanford has been in the HYP tier for a while (or at least HYPSM) despite being founded four years after Pomona. Nobody really considers (or at least not many consider) Pomona to be Amherst/Williams level outside of Pomona alums, you, and (I'm guessing) nony's high school.
Last edited by wiz on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:04 pm

Lawl_Schoolz wrote:Past without current.

Add another 16 for Amherst at Bain currently & another 23 for McKinsey currently.

Add another 31 for Williams at Bain currently & another 30 for McKinsey currently.

Kind of off topic, but Brigham Young University seriously outperforms with elite consulting firms and Goldman Sachs. Wonder why? Do these firms like conservative Mormon values?

wiz

Diamond

Postby wiz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:05 pm

Pomeranian wrote:

Add another 16 for Amherst at Bain currently & another 23 for McKinsey currently.

Add another 31 for Williams at Bain currently & another 30 for McKinsey currently.

Kind of off topic, but Brigham Young seriously outperforms with elite consulting firms and Goldman Sachs. Wonder why? Do these firms like conservative Mormon values?

LDS network is really strong.

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:10 pm

wiz wrote:
Pomeranian wrote:

Kind of off topic, but Brigham Young seriously outperforms with elite consulting firms and Goldman Sachs. Wonder why? Do these firms like conservative Mormon values?

Imagine if you never needed coffee and were literally never hungover.

Mormons are basically superhuman work machines.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiz

Diamond

Postby wiz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:18 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
wiz wrote:
Pomeranian wrote:

Hiring an army of Mormons seems like a sweet market inefficiency when you put it like that.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:20 pm

Big 4 is a great place to launch a career...much more respectable than "Social Media Assistant" at Refinery29.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:23 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
wiz wrote:
Pomeranian wrote:

Add good morals and integrity (generally).

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:04 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
wiz wrote:
Pomeranian wrote:

I don't have to imagine that, but I don't think anyone would characterize me as a superhuman work machine.

wiz

Diamond

Postby wiz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:07 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
wiz wrote:
Pomeranian wrote:

I don't have to imagine that, but I don't think anyone would characterize me as a superhuman work machine.

You don't drink coffee or drink drink?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:09 pm

wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:This is probably the most important thing I have going on in my life: making sure people recognize Pomona's rightful place among elite LACs. Test scores and per-student endowment. Maybe not quite there yet in terms of lay prestige, but they deserve it and should get there. See them as the Stanford of LACs.

Per-student endowment has some serious non-prestigious outliers (Berea College, University of Richmond, Washington and Lee University), and I don't think anybody would consider Wellesley/Grinnell more prestigious than Chicago. Test scores still fall into the inputs category, but Pomona doesn't have the prestige of Amherst/Williams/Swathmore, which themselves don't have actual prestige by virtue of being LACs.

Stanford has been in the HYP tier for a while (or at least HYPSM) despite being founded four years after Pomona. Nobody really considers (or at least not many consider) Pomona to be Amherst/Williams level outside of Pomona alums, you, and (I'm guessing) nony's high school.

Agreed about LACs not having lay prestige or any real prestige on the PSYCHM level. Also agreed on there being problematic outliers, which is why per-student endowment is just a minor supplement to median test scores. I do think it's an input variable that's useful for tracking alumni success and available student resources.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:10 pm

wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
wiz wrote:
Pomeranian wrote:

Rarely drink coffee or alcohol. Coffee makes me jittery and screws with my sleep schedule. Alcohol is expensive and tastes bad.

wiz

Diamond

Postby wiz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
wiz wrote:

Agreed about LACs not having lay prestige or any real prestige on the PSYCHM level. Also agreed on there being problematic outliers, which is why per-student endowment is just a minor supplement to median test scores. I do think it's an input variable that's useful for tracking alumni success and available student resources.

I don't think they have prestige in general—not just at the top tier level but even at the Northwestern/Hopkins/Vanderbilt level. They have low acceptance rates and a decent following among people who are really into rankings and LACs and, I'm assuming, strong alumni loyalty, given the endowment, but I would still describe them as more of a cult than a prestigious group.

I agree that there are great student resources and people who attend get a phenomenal education (something something grade deflation and professors who aren't only focused on research), but there's just no way that seeing Swarthmore at the top of a resume (or dropping Pomona in a casual conversation) gets the same reaction as Columbia or Dartmouth.

I guess I just wouldn't conflate inputs like selectivity or even test scores with prestige. I do think it can be a decent prelude for future prestige/rankings, though those things take a while to catch up. When I was applying to college, Chicago's acceptance rate was in the mid 20s, and most people I knew would have taken any Ivy + Stanford/MIT/Caltech/Duke over Chicago. Now it's like Columbia level.

wiz

Diamond

Postby wiz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:21 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
wiz wrote:
Pomeranian wrote:

Rarely drink coffee or alcohol. Coffee makes me jittery and screws with my sleep schedule. Alcohol is expensive and tastes bad.

I don't drink coffee either because I don't like the taste, but alcohol is at minimum worth it as an investment in having an actual social life.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?