2018 USNWR Rankings

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bearsfan23

Gold

Re: 2018 USNWR Rankings

Postby bearsfan23 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:06 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
Rigo wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:Do you still think Cornell belongs in 2b instead of 3?

Yes, while Cornell is clearly the least selective/prestigious UG among the lower Ivy/Duke tier it's still a cut above tier 3.

Like UC-Berkeley, Cornell is a literal public school.

It's literally not. It has a few statutory colleges for Agriculture and stuff but the overwhelming majority of it is private.

Yeah that was a super weird comment.

The fact that you and Rigo can't grasp sarcasm is the only thing that's weird

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 pm

What do you all think of Cornell Ag School graduates implying they have an Ivy League pedigree?

Moneytrees

Silver

Postby Moneytrees » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:40 pm

star fox wrote:What do you all think of Cornell Ag School graduates implying they have an Ivy League pedigree?

They have a little bit less prestige than Harvard masters in divinity students.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:20 am

star fox wrote:What do you all think of Cornell Ag School graduates implying they have an Ivy League pedigree?

It's a public ivy.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:27 am

This thread makes me hate threads and it sucks

#hookem

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:29 am

Keith Olbermann used to do this all the time apparently before he got called out on it by Ann Coulter. Unlike her, Olbermann didn't go to the ivy league Cornell, he majored in "communications" at the agriculture school, aka the Old MacDonald Cornell. :lol:

goldenbear2020

Silver

Postby goldenbear2020 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:56 am

Don't they? Cornell University is in the Ivy League, and it is made up of 7 undergrad colleges: 3 state-supported and 4 private.

AT9

Gold

Postby AT9 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:00 pm

wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
star fox wrote:Hikko - I was thinking about this and you're my go to guy on these sorts of things. What is the cutoff for what constitutes a prestigious undergrad?

National Universities
Tier 1: PSYCHM
Tier 2: Columbia, Chicago, Duke, Penn, Dartmouth, Vanderbilt, Brown, Rice
Tier 3: WUSTL, Cornell, Georgetown, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, NYU, Notre Dame, Emory, Berkeley, Tufts, Carnegie Mellon, UVA, Michigan, Boston College, USC, UCLA

Just a rough outline. Order within tiers not super precise. Personal preference would be slightly different in some cases. Open to disagreement/suggestions.

1a: HYPS
1b: MC
2a: Columbia, Penn, Chicago
2b: Dartmouth, Brown, Cornell, Duke
3: Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Rice, Berkeley, WUSTL, Emory, Georgetown, Notre Dame
4: Carnegie Mellon, Tufts, NYU, UVA, Michigan, USC, UCLA

Lmao liberal arts schools

Some blatant anti-North Carolina trolling in here to not put UNC and Wake Forest in the bottom tiers, especially with schools like Tufts and NYU making the cut.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:23 pm

AT9 wrote:
wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
star fox wrote:Hikko - I was thinking about this and you're my go to guy on these sorts of things. What is the cutoff for what constitutes a prestigious undergrad?

National Universities
Tier 3: WUSTL, Cornell, Georgetown, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, NYU, Notre Dame, Emory, Berkeley, Tufts, Carnegie Mellon, UVA, Michigan, Boston College, USC, UCLA

Just a rough outline. Order within tiers not super precise. Personal preference would be slightly different in some cases. Open to disagreement/suggestions.

3: Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Rice, Berkeley, WUSTL, Emory, Georgetown, Notre Dame

Some blatant anti-North Carolina trolling in here to not put UNC and Wake Forest in the bottom tiers, especially with schools like Tufts and NYU making the cut.

yeah I don't see how UVA/Mich/UNC shouldn't be grouped together.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:33 pm

To get back to star fox's actual question, I would only personally use the description if I had attended a Tier 1 school. Is would agree with anyone from a Tier 2 school claiming it. I would understand, either immediately (pre-Berkeley) or after a brief internally raised eyebrow (post-Berkeley), anyone from a Tier 3 school making that claim. I'd probably actively challenge or at least show some outward sign of skepticism if anyone from a school outside those tiers tried to say they attended a prestigious school.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:35 pm

proteinshake wrote:
AT9 wrote:
wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
wiz wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:

National Universities

yeah I don't see how UVA/Mich/UNC shouldn't be grouped together.

If you allow in UNC, I'm not sure how you avoid allowing in UT, UW, or some decent Midwestern flagship. Actually, UW is probably closer than UNC to Tier 3 at this point.

AT9

Gold

Postby AT9 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:If you allow in UNC, I'm not sure how you avoid allowing in UT, UW, or some decent Midwestern flagship. Actually, UW is probably closer than UNC to Tier 3 at this point.

I mentioned UNC because it's typically mentioned alongside UVA/Mich/UCLA, and UNC/Wake were (I think) the only top 30ish schools left off the above lists.

But agreed that many of the big public flagships are practically interchangeable.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:55 pm

AT9 wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:If you allow in UNC, I'm not sure how you avoid allowing in UT, UW, or some decent Midwestern flagship. Actually, UW is probably closer than UNC to Tier 3 at this point.

I mentioned UNC because it's typically mentioned alongside UVA/Mich/UCLA, and UNC/Wake were (I think) the only top 30ish schools left off the above lists.

But agreed that many of the big public flagships are practically interchangeable.

UNC has declining/inferior test scores, though you could say UVA is trending in the same direction. Speaking of public schools, GT should have more prestige.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:00 pm

Actually, looking over the numbers, I'm not sure Duke is even the top school in the South anymore. Rice is getting better students and has almost double Duke's per-student endowment. When did this happen?/I feel so old.

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:36 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Actually, looking over the numbers, I'm not sure Duke is even the top school in the South anymore. Rice is getting better students and has almost double Duke's per-student endowment. When did this happen?/I feel so old.

It has always been thus.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Diamond

Postby Kronk » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Actually, looking over the numbers, I'm not sure Duke is even the top school in the South anymore. Rice is getting better students and has almost double Duke's per-student endowment. When did this happen?/I feel so old.

"South"

Kronk

Diamond

Postby Kronk » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:13 pm

UT Austin is actually better than either of those schools if we're considering North Carolina and Texas the South

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Kronk wrote:UT Austin is actually better than either of those schools if we're considering North Carolina and Texas the South

Are you delusional?

Kronk

Diamond

Postby Kronk » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Kronk wrote:UT Austin is actually better than either of those schools if we're considering North Carolina and Texas the South

Are you delusional?

No.

Moneytrees

Silver

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Lol how is per student endowment in any way a factor when it comes lay prestige? I had never even heard of Rice until I was like a senior in college and I sort of care about these types of things.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:34 pm

Last edited by poptart123 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Moneytrees wrote:

Lol how is per student endowment in any way a factor when it comes lay prestige? I had never even heard of Rice until I was like a senior in college and I sort of care about these types of things.

yeah this. nobody cares about endowment.

LurkerTurnedMember

Bronze

Postby LurkerTurnedMember » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:33 pm

Duke is so good in March Madness.. I wonder if they have a law school, too.

dbalkaran

Silver

Postby dbalkaran » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:

Are you delusional?

The whole undergrad prestige thing is stupid. Specializations matter way more in undergrad so depending on what you study the top schools change.

For example look at the Bloomberg Top 10 undergrad business schools.

1. Villanova
2. Notre Dame
3. Boston College
4. Indiana
5. UVA
6. UT
7. UNC
8. Michigan
9. NYU
10. Bentley

Don't think anyone would consider Indiana or Bentley national powerhouse schools, but for business they place extremely well into all of the top accounting, finance, and consulting firms. I went to Bentley and it was weird to not see someone working at Deloitte, PwC, E&Y, KPMG, Bain, Merrill Lynch, JP Morgan and other places with similar prestige. If you look at the Top 10 Engineering schools for undergrad there's literally one school that's the same.

1. MIT
2. Stanford
3. Cal Berkeley
4. Cal Tech
5. Georgia Tech
6. University of Illinois
7. Michigan
8. Carnegie Mellon
9. Cornell
10. Purdue

IMO undergrad matters far less than grad school. A good GPA is the most important thing whether you went to some random state school or NYU. If you graduate from a top school with a shit GPA you're no better than a state school kid with a 3.9-4.0 from what I've seen.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:13 pm

dbalkaran wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:

Are you delusional?

The whole undergrad prestige thing is stupid. Specializations matter way more in undergrad so depending on what you study the top schools change.

For example look at the Bloomberg Top 10 undergrad business schools.

1. Villanova
2. Notre Dame
3. Boston College
4. Indiana
5. UVA
6. UT
7. UNC
8. Michigan
9. NYU
10. Bentley

Don't think anyone would consider Indiana or Bentley national powerhouse schools, but for business they place extremely well into all of the top accounting, finance, and consulting firms. I went to Bentley and it was weird to not see someone working at Deloitte, PwC, E&Y, KPMG, Bain, Merrill Lynch, JP Morgan and other places with similar prestige. If you look at the Top 10 Engineering schools for undergrad there's literally one school that's the same.

1. MIT
2. Stanford
3. Cal Berkeley
4. Cal Tech
5. Georgia Tech
6. University of Illinois
7. Michigan
8. Carnegie Mellon
9. Cornell
10. Purdue

IMO undergrad matters far less than grad school. A good GPA is the most important thing whether you went to some random state school or NYU. If you graduate from a top school with a shit GPA you're no better than a state school kid with a 3.9-4.0 from what I've seen.

Well, that certainly invalidates the idea of UG prestige.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?