Need Gap Year(s) advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
springmatters

New

Need Gap Year(s) advice

Postby springmatters » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:57 am

Hello all,

I took the December 2016 LSAT and got a 162. I'm currently in my last semester of undergrad, and can expect to graduate with a 3.9. My cycle hasn't been that great, waitlisted at mich, waitlisted at penn, and denied at cornell. I was thinking of retaking the LSAT if nothing good comes along, but due to a month abroad this summer I wouldn't be able to effectively study over the summer. I was thinking of getting a job/internship around August and do that until December. I would then study for the June 2018 LSAT for about six months, and then apply super early. This would be effectively two years off, and I am uncertain about how much better I can do on the LSAT. Should I just take a 30 ish ranked school and get on with my life? Thanks in advance.

mjb447

Silver

Re: Need Gap Year(s) advice

Postby mjb447 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:09 am

To get the ball rolling:

How long did you study for Dec. 2016? How well did you do on practice tests, and how much improvement did you see?

What do you want to do with a law degree?

What are your financial circumstances?

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:14 am

There is absolutely no rush in going to law school. I think your plan of studying and applying early is great. Nothing beats a great LSAT score. However, I'm curious to know what type of law you want to do?

If you choose to take time off, I would spend those two years wisely - doing something you love - and if you love law - why not try and work at a law firm in the interim? You could volunteer as well... but do something that you are passionate about and that can also build your resume. There's nothing wrong with being KJD, but if you can get that extra life experience - I would totally go for it!

Signed,
Person on Gap Year #4 and if you want to know what I did during my four years off, PM me. The feds (law school admissions) are watching.

springmatters

New

Postby springmatters » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:16 am

mjb447 wrote:To get the ball rolling:

How long did you study for Dec. 2016? How well did you do on practice tests, and how much improvement did you see?

1. Studied for about six months, most of it during the school year. I went down a couple points from my average practice test score, i think I was hovering at 166. My diagnostic was 154.

2. Big Law NYC, or a boutique firm that still pays decently well

3. Broke

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:20 am

springmatters wrote:

1. Studied for about six months, most of it during the school year. I went down a couple points from my average practice test score, i think I was hovering at 166. My diagnostic was 154.

3. Broke

Gap year(s). Crush LSAT. Apply. Get $$$.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:26 am

LegallyBlackJD wrote:
springmatters wrote:

3. Broke

Yeah, this is the right strategy. A gap year (or even two) pales in comparison to the costs of going to a worse law school than you could otherwise get into. A higher score will also make biglaw substantially more likely.

springmatters

New

Postby springmatters » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:58 am

mjb447 wrote:
LegallyBlackJD wrote:
springmatters wrote:

3. Broke

Yeah, this is the right strategy. A gap year (or even two) pales in comparison to the costs of going to a worse law school than you could otherwise get into. A higher score will also make biglaw substantially more likely.

Thank you both for your input. This is probably the course I'm going to take if I don't get pulled from the penn/mich waitlist.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�