Why do people delete their posts on this website?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cooley at Sticker

New

Why do people delete their posts on this website?

Postby Cooley at Sticker » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:18 am

Why are people so paranoid about covering their tracks on here? Is there something these people know about this site that I don't?

Dcc617

Gold

Re: Why do people delete their posts on this website?

Postby Dcc617 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:50 am

Cooley at Sticker wrote:Why are people so paranoid about covering their tracks on here? Is there something these people know about this site that I don't?

There was once an instance of an admissions person asking a prospective student about their posting. It was weird and I think had to do with the official c/o thread for that school.

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:17 am

Because admissions creeps on this site. If you say something unfavorable, weird, offensive, politically incorrect, doesn't mesh with school's values.... I mean the list goes on and on (and you're an applicant to their school) - and they figure out who you are..... well... I wouldn't want to be you.

Basically. Try to be low key and try not to put your foot in your moufffff.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:30 am

And even if the risk is low, there's basically no benefit to you to leaving your posts up after your questions have been answered and your posts have been seen by whoever needed to see them.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:54 am

mjb447 wrote:And even if the risk is low, there's basically no benefit to you to leaving your posts up after your questions have been answered and your posts have been seen by whoever needed to see them.

Except that if you leave your posts up there may be a benefit to future applicants to seeing your questions get answered, since that makes up a lot of the value of this site.

But yeah, adcomms do read here and identify applicants, if you give enough info.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:07 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
mjb447 wrote:And even if the risk is low, there's basically no benefit to you to leaving your posts up after your questions have been answered and your posts have been seen by whoever needed to see them.

Except that if you leave your posts up there may be a benefit to future applicants to seeing your questions get answered, since that makes up a lot of the value of this site.

But yeah, adcomms do read here and identify applicants, if you give enough info.

Yeah, that's why I said "no benefit to you." Adding to the collective wisdom is a good thing, but I can understand why some people delete even if they don't perceive a huge risk of an adcomm identifying them.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:45 pm

I'm our new era of political discourse, my TLS posting could clinch a Democratic nom for president. No way I'm deleting this goldmine.

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Nebby wrote:I'm our new era of political discourse, my TLS posting could clinch a Democratic nom for president. No way I'm deleting this goldmine.

1) The Russians have already hacked your TLS account.

2) The DNC would actively subvert you in the primary since you're not mainstream enough.

3) You'd lose in the general election anyway, so why bother?
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:06 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

They definitely do peruse these threads, but I think that's only a huge problem if they notice discrepancies on here vs. what you've said on your app, you have one of those posts asking if lying on your app is a good idea, you're a major asshole, or you talk badly about the school/adcomm/whatever else on here. I think most stuff on here doesn't really fall under the realm of, "WOW, you better hope adcomm never sees this!!!" Lol.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:08 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Yeah I have this theory my scholarship negotiation didn't work so well because adcomms knew I was going to go to the school no matter what, so lolz at my smoothness.

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:19 pm

zot1 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Yeah I have this theory my scholarship negotiation didn't work so well because adcomms knew I was going to go to the school no matter what, so lolz at my smoothness.

I was operating under the assumption that they were reading everything I posted and used that to reinforce what I was telling them during the negotiation process. It seemed to work out.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:21 pm

brinicolec wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

They definitely do peruse these threads, but I think that's only a huge problem if they notice discrepancies on here vs. what you've said on your app, you have one of those posts asking if lying on your app is a good idea, you're a major asshole, or you talk badly about the school/adcomm/whatever else on here. I think most stuff on here doesn't really fall under the realm of, "WOW, you better hope adcomm never sees this!!!" Lol.

Oh, I agree, I don't think it's usually a problem. There was a weird incident with a poster and a school last cycle, but to be honest I don't know exactly what was in his posting (like it didn't seem like he would have posted anything problematic but I can't say for certain).

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:22 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
zot1 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I was operating under the assumption that they were reading everything I posted and used that to reinforce what I was telling them during the negotiation process. It seemed to work out.

I wasn't smart to think TLS was so popular that they would read stuff. I learned that after the fact. Would be cool if mods posted a warning for newbies like I was. Nony, hook us up.

Edit: watch there's a warning already and I missed that too.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:38 am

brinicolec wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

This makes sense. If you're applying, don't admit to killing that hooker on TLS.

Well, at least don't admit to it until after you get into law school, but before you have to apply for the C&F.

wiz

Diamond

Postby wiz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:40 am

There's a lot of benefit actually. Several megaposters have eventually risen to the rank of moderator, at which point they receive substantial end-of-year bonuses.

Having lots of (non-deleted) posts also often qualifies as a nice soft during admissions cycles.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�