Applying after priority deadline?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thounder2666

New

Applying after priority deadline?

Postby thounder2666 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:13 am

Hello,
I know that I am late to apply this late in the cycle, so please do not lecture me about that. I decided to apply to a school pretty late to meet the priority application deadline of March 1 (tonight in 1 hour). My personal statement is good but it was pretty rushed so it could be much better in a couple days, or even tomorrow. SO, should I submit the application as is with my personal statement not at its best? Or, would it likely work out better for me in the end to submit a perfected personal statement in the next couple days, and also complete an optional essay too? in case you're wondering, it is not a reach school. My stats are slightly above median, and LSAT is closer to 75th than the median. There's also another school I would apply to where my stats are even higher above median. Please help! best action here?

thounder2666

New

Re: Applying after priority deadline?

Postby thounder2666 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:25 am

To those of you viewing this and choosing not to reply, please reply. I am looking for any kind of input here.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:28 am

What advice are you looking for exactly? Do you want to know if it's better to submit your best application over a rushed application? Do you want to know how much submitting late will hurt you? Or are you asking how much impact this will have on your application generally?

I'm genuinely curious what schools you're applying to, because that likely would color the advice, but even still, applying late is always a bad thing, and it will hurt your results. You'd do well to apply again next cycle and have bargaining power with these schools and their peers.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:29 am

thounder2666 wrote:To those of you viewing this and choosing not to reply, please reply. I am looking for any kind of input here.

Don't do this, it reeks of desperation.

thounder2666

New

Postby thounder2666 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:37 am

UVA2B wrote:
thounder2666 wrote:To those of you viewing this and choosing not to reply, please reply. I am looking for any kind of input here.

Thanks for letting me know! I had no idea that it could seem desperate. I value the opinions of nameless, faceless people on a forum more than my own life. Something that reeks of such desperation would not garner a response from anyone. Oh wait...

thounder2666

New

Postby thounder2666 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:40 am

UVA2B wrote:What advice are you looking for exactly? Do you want to know if it's better to submit your best application over a rushed application? Do you want to know how much submitting late will hurt you? Or are you asking how much impact this will have on your application generally?

I'm genuinely curious what schools you're applying to, because that likely would color the advice, but even still, applying late is always a bad thing, and it will hurt your results. You'd do well to apply again next cycle and have bargaining power with these schools and their peers.

It is quite clear what kind of advice I am looking for. I posed a question in my post. You could give your answers to each of these things and give me your opinion about whether I should apply to law school next cycle, which I did not ask for, without being condescending. I have applied and been accepted to other schools. These two are last minute ones. FYI they are Northeastern University and American University. Nothing like T14 or anything.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:42 am

thounder2666 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

Thanks for letting me know! I had no idea that it could seem desperate. I value the opinions of nameless, faceless people on a forum more than my own life. Something that reeks of such desperation would not garner a response from anyone. Oh wait...

Unnecessarily combative, do you have any answers to my questions I otherwise posed? What advice are you looking for? What kind of attorney do you want to be? What schools are you applying to? Do you have more specific questions you need answered?

This community can be incredibly helpful, but it involves being receptive to the responses based on what you provide. You haven't given us anything to help you, and absent specifics, you won't get the answers you want.

Edit: you responded, and while still aggressive to the point of being defensive, I will give you my best advice. Neither of those schools make sense when you consider they will have a finite placement in very different geographic markets. If you want to be a public defender in MA, Northeastern makes some sense. If you want to be a barista on Capitol Hill, American makes some sense too.

You have provided sparse information for helping with the question you asked (even if you don't think so), but the most likely answer is that you're making a fiscally irresponsible decision. Depending on goals, those schools land somewhere between reckless and "ehh, risky."

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question like you want.
Last edited by UVA2B on Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

thounder2666

New

Postby thounder2666 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:47 am

UVA2B wrote:What advice are you looking for exactly? Do you want to know if it's better to submit your best application over a rushed application? Do you want to know how much submitting late will hurt you? Or are you asking how much impact this will have on your application generally?

Would it be better to submit my app after the priority deadline if my personal statement will be significantly better by then?

I know that submitting late will hurt me in general, but how much does submitting an application past the priority deadline for a specific school hurt my chances for being accepted into that school? (with GPA/LSAT above median, but not by much)

I know that waiting until next cycle is always an option if I do not receive the responses that I want from these schools.

thounder2666

New

Postby thounder2666 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:54 am

UVA2B wrote:
thounder2666 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

Unnecessarily combative, do you have any answers to my questions I otherwise posed? What advice are you looking for? What kind of attorney do you want to be? What schools are you applying to? Do you have more specific questions you need answered?

This community can be incredibly helpful, but it involves being receptive to the responses based on what you provide. You haven't given us anything to help you, and absent specifics, you won't get the answers you want.

Edit: you responded, and while still aggressive to the point of being defensive, I will give you my best advice. Neither of those schools make sense when you consider they will have a finite placement in very different geographic markets. If you want to be a public defender in MA, Northeastern makes some sense. If you want to be a barista on Capitol Hill, American makes some sense too.

You have provided sparse information for helping with the question you asked (even if you don't think so), but the most likely answer is that you're making a fiscally irresponsible decision. Depending on goals, those schools land somewhere between reckless and "ehh, risky."

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question like you want.

Regarding the information in your edit, are you basically saying that they are fiscally irresponsible because they're not very well ranked? My understanding of your response is that you think it would be very difficult to land a good job out of those schools. I want to do Biglaw litigation in a few areas of law, ideally. If not big law, then litigation at a medium sized firm in a big city such as boston or DC.

Edit: I am aware that it is hard to land biglaw jobs from much better schools.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:00 am

If you want Biglaw lit in DC or Boston, yes I will say categorically that Northeastern and American are not good choices. Combined with their likely costs (scholarships wane this late in the cycle), you're talking about INSANELY competitive and unlikely outcomes from both schools. Based on LST, you're talking about ~10% chance of the job you want. Are you willing to bet six figures on a 10% chance of an outcome that can pay for your debt (I'm assuming you're debt-financing, so if that's not true, please correct me).

thounder2666

New

Postby thounder2666 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:05 am

UVA2B wrote:If you want Biglaw lit in DC or Boston, yes I will say categorically that Northeastern and American are not good choices. Combined with their likely costs (scholarships wane this late in the cycle), you're talking about INSANELY competitive and unlikely outcomes from both schools. Based on LST, you're talking about ~10% chance of the job you want. Are you willing to bet six figures on a 10% chance of an outcome that can pay for your debt (I'm assuming you're debt-financing, so if that's not true, please correct me).

What is your opinion on Boston College, George Mason, & Washington & Lee for the type of law practice I'd like to work? And just to further clarify, I am not dead set on the whole Biglaw thing. It's just something that I will strive for and if it is not in the cards, there are plenty of other jobs outside of a couple hundred lawyer firm that I would be interested in.

Edit: Also, I have been accepted to UIowa, which is a well-ranked law school in general with it being in the 20's, in my opinion at least. I just graduated from undergrad there last semester. I just do not want to go there because I do not want to live or work in iowa anymore.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:13 am

thounder2666 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:If you want Biglaw lit in DC or Boston, yes I will say categorically that Northeastern and American are not good choices. Combined with their likely costs (scholarships wane this late in the cycle), you're talking about INSANELY competitive and unlikely outcomes from both schools. Based on LST, you're talking about ~10% chance of the job you want. Are you willing to bet six figures on a 10% chance of an outcome that can pay for your debt (I'm assuming you're debt-financing, so if that's not true, please correct me).

What is your opinion on Boston College, George Mason, & Washington & Lee for the type of law practice I'd like to work? And just to further clarify, I am not dead set on the whole Biglaw thing. It's just something that I will strive for and if it is not in the cards, there are plenty of other jobs outside of a couple hundred lawyer firm that I would be interested in.

Again, it's all relative based on cost and goals. BC if you're paying a reduced cost could be a great deal. If you want the strongest advice, post the following:

1. Schools considered
2. Cost of attendance at those schools
3. Goals with the degree
4. fallback options
5. everything else

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:23 am

Well, since you already asked people to not comment on how applying this late in the cycle being a dumb decision...

Based on the above exchange, it doesn't sound like you've spent nearly enough time figuring out which schools align with your career goals. It also sounds like you've already made up your mind and are mainly looking to argue with anyone who tells you that you're making bad decisions, so I can't imagine anyone wants to waste their time really trying to give substantive advice.

If you actually want a shot at your career goals, you shouldn't be applying this cycle, and you shouldn't be applying to the schools you listed.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:52 am

Don't apply this cycle; retake.

American for biglaw lololol

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�