Unique Situation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
YellowWolf

New

Unique Situation

Postby YellowWolf » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:00 am

Hello,

I am in the process of wrapping up my UG degree. Somehow my GPA is still very high (higher than 4.15 on LSAC standards with 4 classes left). I am currently PT-ing at 169-171. I haven't really gone into insanity mode with LSAT yet. My question.... is there a law of diminishing marginal return with regards to GPA? I want to sort of set my GPA aside and focus on LSAT. I am a perfectionist though, and am scared to watch my sacred GPA fall by even minuscule amounts. Once you surpass the 75th percentile are you just wasting your time? Also I am wondering if grades at the end of your degree matter more than grades at the beginning? Should I allocate less time to academics and start studying harder for the LSAT?

I don't really have any schools in mind at this point. I've basically been a hobbit/bookworm for the past 4 years of my life.

Any tips/advice?

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Unique Situation

Postby lavarman84 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:41 am

You can't go back and change your grades after you graduate. You can retake the LSAT. Don't neglect your grades for the LSAT, even if you will retain a high GPA either ways.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:38 am

I'm gonna say set your GPA aside and devote more time to LSAT. You'll graduate with an excellent GPA even if you merely pull A-, B+.

On the other hand, you have a ton of time for the LSAT. You can take in June or Sept/Oct with a December backup.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:03 am

"Unique"

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:32 am

lymenheimer wrote:"Unique"

Also this.

SPerez

Bronze

Postby SPerez » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:48 pm

I would add that you also can't go back and "do college" again, either. If you've spent the last 4 years in the library, take your foot off the gas and enjoy yourself a bit. Sounds like you're more than smart enough and efficient enough at studying that you can manage "merely" A's in your final semester and have a bit more of a life. Over 4.0 is of no practical value to anyone else, it's only value is to you so you decide how much graduating with the highest possible GPA is worth to you.

I'd probably also recommend working for a year or two just to recharge the batteries a bit. (I recommend a year or two between UG and law school for pretty much everyone. A lot of positive benefits to be had.) Then just study as hard as you did in school on the LSAT and enjoy your full scholarship to pretty much the school of your choice!

Stephen M. Perez
Prof. & Fmr. Admissions Dean

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:54 pm

lymenheimer wrote:"Unique"

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�