C&F Help Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
amygdala

New

C&F Help

Post by amygdala » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:53 pm

So I have sent in a couple applications, but I'm not sure if my disciplinary records from UG have any charges or actions on them, and so I said no to the disclosure question. And now I am extremely worried and want to know if law schools look into those records. I have been in trouble for weed paraphernalia in college, but i'm not sure if it's on my records. I am willing to disclose this information on my future applications, but would that create more trouble for me? Please help!
Last edited by amygdala on Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bretby

Bronze

Re: Do law schools look into undergraduate disciplinary records?

Post by bretby » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:05 pm

amygdala wrote:So I have sent in a couple applications, but I'm not sure if my disciplinary records from UG have any charges or actions on them, and so I said no to the disclosure question. And now I am extremely worried and want to know if law schools look into those records. I have been in trouble for weed paraphernalia in college, but i'm not sure if it's on my records. I am willing to disclose this information on my future applications, but would that create more trouble for me? Please help!
Don't try and game the system. It can have serious repercussions for C&F down the line. Just be up front and explain what happened.

amygdala

New

Re: C&F Help

Post by amygdala » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:11 pm

Well my problem is that I haven't disclosed it in the applications I have sent, but I'm willing to do so for my other unsent applications. How do I remedy the omission in the applications I have sent? Thanks!
Last edited by amygdala on Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chicagoburger

Bronze

Post by chicagoburger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:57 pm

amygdala wrote:Well my problem is that I haven't disclosed it in the applications I have sent, but I'm willing to do so for my other unsent applications. How do I remedy the omission in the applications I have sent? Thanks!
If you get in those schools, they most likely will ask you to "fix" your application before enrollment for any missed info.
If you don't get into those schools, you don't need to worry about it.

amygdala

New

Post by amygdala » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:13 pm

chicagoburger wrote:
amygdala wrote:Well my problem is that I haven't disclosed it in the applications I have sent, but I'm willing to do so for my other unsent applications. How do I remedy the omission in the applications I have sent? Thanks!
If you get in those schools, they most likely will ask you to "fix" your application before enrollment for any missed info.
So is it okay to only disclose on future applications and not worry about the already submitted ones? Would LSAC consider this a misconduct/irregularity?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:22 pm

amygdala wrote:
chicagoburger wrote:
So is it okay to only disclose on future applications and not worry about the already submitted ones? Would LSAC consider this a misconduct/irregularity?
No. Disclose to every single school, including the ones you've already submitted to (although if you've already been rejected then don't worry about it). All you need to do is attach an addendum explaining the incident(s). Don't try and make excuses. Just state the facts and what you've learned from them. If you read the law school applications carefully, they'll tell you that the C&F incidents (even things like weed and alcohol related charges) aren't necessarily a dealbreaker in and of themselves - some of them might not impact your application at all. BUT lying about C&F issues is a MUCH bigger deal and a MUCH worse scenario - depending on what you tried to cover up, you could be looking at having your acceptance revoked, or, down the line, having your degree rescinded or having difficulty getting accepted to the state bar.

amygdala

New

Post by amygdala » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:23 pm

?
Last edited by amygdala on Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amygdala

New

Post by amygdala » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:29 pm

floatie wrote:
amygdala wrote:
chicagoburger wrote:
No. Disclose to every single school, including the ones you've already submitted to (although if you've already been rejected then don't worry about it). All you need to do is attach an addendum explaining the incident(s). Don't try and make excuses. Just state the facts and what you've learned from them. If you read the law school applications carefully, they'll tell you that the C&F incidents (even things like weed and alcohol related charges) aren't necessarily a dealbreaker in and of themselves - some of them might not impact your application at all. BUT lying about C&F issues is a MUCH bigger deal and a MUCH worse scenario - depending on what you tried to cover up, you could be looking at having your acceptance revoked, or, down the line, having your degree rescinded or having difficulty getting accepted to the state bar.
Should I also explain why I failed to provide this information in my application?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:30 pm

amygdala wrote:Is the consensus that law schools definitely look into disciplinary records?
Even if they don't, the bigger concern is that the Bar will. And THEY will find it troublesome that you hid information if it can be found on record or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:07 pm

You could always call your undergrad and try to check if the incident is on your record.

YBF-W

New

Post by YBF-W » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:51 pm

Don't do anything else until you confirm that there's something on your record. Call your undergrad institution and ask to see your record. You do have a right to your education record via FERPA.

If there is a stain, then send a very brief honest and remorseful addendum.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:38 pm

floatie wrote:
amygdala wrote:
chicagoburger wrote:
Agree, contact the schools you have already applied to, and ask to amend your application because you misread or misunderstood a question or whatever.

Everyone is right in that if it comes up later it can be a FAR bigger deal.

The C&F committee (in my state at least) wants your law school application to match your C&F application. And the C&F committee WILL check any and all records. Additionally, in my state, I believe they will also ask your references questions about your past, so it can come up that way as well. If you are found to be lying on the C&F AND on your law school application about the same thing, its a giant red flag. However, more often than not, I believe the issue is that people are completely honest on the C&F, but have been less than honest on the law school application.

In which case, you have to go back and amend your law school application. Which can be a big issue if the school determines it was a big enough issue that it would have precluded them from accepting you in the first place.

So, just amend now and deal with it. I think if you're otherwise qualified, being busted with weed in your teens won't be that big a deal, and they probably see it all the time.

E: I would not contact your undergrad institute first, because there is a good chance that this will come out in the C&F process. Its not at all worth the risk.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:46 pm

chicagoburger wrote:
I've never heard of this. Do you have personal knowledge of this or are you guessing?

OP -- contact the schools you have applied to and send in an amendment. I'm not sure what "busted" means (by who? how?). But you should still amend, it sounds like a relatively small incident, and so its unlikely to really make a difference if you're otherwise qualified. I honestly believe that many students AND professors probably use weed, so the judgment is probably different than for....I don't know, getting busted with a crack pipe, or making meth in your dorm room.

SPerez

Bronze

Re: C&F Help

Post by SPerez » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:09 pm

This is no big deal, IF you handle it right. You should have contacted your undergrad to check your records before applying, but that's water under the bridge at this point and it doesn't actually change what you should do from here.

Just write up an addendum and email it to all the schools you've already applied to, asking that it be added to your file. In it, be completely truthful. Say something like you weren't sure if the incidents were on your record or not, but that you wanted to be completely forthcoming so you are amending your application. It would probably be good to say that you are in the process of obtaining your college records (and actually do so).

This literally happens ALL THE TIME, every year. It's not worth the stress to gamble that it's not on your undergrad transcript or shows up in the city/county criminal system on your background check. Like everyone always says, it's not the offense that gets people it is looking like you lied to cover something up.

Stephen M. Perez
Prof. & Fmr. Admissions Dean (and member of the LSAC Misconduct committee)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”