At this point, writing a Why X Essay

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lauren22

New

At this point, writing a Why X Essay

Postby lauren22 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:38 pm

I'm still waiting to hear back from two schools - NYU and Columbia, and while my numbers ~seem~ good enough for them both, I haven't heard back from either one. The only thing I can do at this point, I suppose, is write a "Why X" essay. People have told me that it couldn't hurt, but after rereading some old threads, it seems that the admissions officers discouraged these essays with the initial applications in past years. I've heard that the top 5 schools don't really do YP, but I don't know if that is still true... Anyway, is it worth it? I don't want to annoy/ badger the officers, but if it will do more good than harm, than I want to e-mail the supplemental essays in. Thanks!

KMart

Gold

Re: At this point, writing a Why X Essay

Postby KMart » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:40 am

lauren22 wrote:I'm still waiting to hear back from two schools - NYU and Columbia, and while my numbers ~seem~ good enough for them both, I haven't heard back from either one. The only thing I can do at this point, I suppose, is write a "Why X" essay. People have told me that it couldn't hurt, but after rereading some old threads, it seems that the admissions officers discouraged these essays with the initial applications in past years. I've heard that the top 5 schools don't really do YP, but I don't know if that is still true... Anyway, is it worth it? I don't want to annoy/ badger the officers, but if it will do more good than harm, than I want to e-mail the supplemental essays in. Thanks!

if you're numbers are good enough for them both (i.e. above both medians), you don't need them. you might be heading for a WL. if you're WLed, this advice changes.

sit back and relax. i know it's not easy and you're growing impatient. best of luck.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: At this point, writing a Why X Essay

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:18 am

In addition to what KMart said, YP isn't for numbers that "seem" to be good enough. YP is when your stats are good enough to practically guarantee you admission to a better school, which is why it doesn't happen at HYSCCN. And since this isn't a YP issue, I don't see a "Why X" essay helping you here.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�