Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Shangrilala

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby Shangrilala » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:49 pm

Hi,
So I know people officially say no, but what do you think?
Because I found some schools ask to fill out student ID number etc if you attended their undergrad.
Do they prefer students from their undergrad etc??

acr

Silver
Posts: 708
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby acr » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:50 pm

Maybe marginally, but they care more about GPA/LSAT.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby Rigo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:48 pm

All else equal, sure maybe.
But it won't make up for poorer numbers.

mrtux45

Bronze
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:08 am

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby mrtux45 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:00 pm

I would guess if your numbers are what they're looking for, they may be more inclined to accept you assuming you like the school, understand the culture, and would thus be more likely to attend.

This is just my best guess. In the end, numbers >>>everything else

User avatar
t-14orbust

Gold
Posts: 2127
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:23 pm

I've been told anecdotally that Boalt discriminates against Berkeley undergrads

grades??

Silver
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby grades?? » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Yale prefers their undergrad. Something like almost 1/4th of the Yale class is Yale undergrad.

User avatar
34iplaw

Gold
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby 34iplaw » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:43 pm

t-14orbust wrote:I've been told anecdotally that Boalt discriminates against Berkeley undergrads


Cornell Law may too. I remember hearing somewhere while up there that Cornell doesn't, or at least claims not to, like students coming back to do multiple degrees.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby Rigo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm

34iplaw wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:I've been told anecdotally that Boalt discriminates against Berkeley undergrads

Cornell Law may too. I remember hearing somewhere while up there that Cornell doesn't, or at least claims not to, like students coming back to do multiple degrees.

Cornell is just looking out for your mental health.

User avatar
MKC

Diamond
Posts: 16246
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby MKC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:46 pm

Rigo wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:I've been told anecdotally that Boalt discriminates against Berkeley undergrads

Cornell Law may too. I remember hearing somewhere while up there that Cornell doesn't, or at least claims not to, like students coming back to do multiple degrees.

Cornell is just looking out for your mental health.


They already put up nets under the gorge cliffs/bridges. I don't see why they need to go overboard like this.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby goldenbear2020 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:00 pm

t-14orbust wrote:I've been told anecdotally that Boalt discriminates against Berkeley undergrads

That would make sense, since Berkeley ug is probably below average among the Berkeley Law class.

SlippinJimmy

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:01 am

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby SlippinJimmy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:07 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:I've been told anecdotally that Boalt discriminates against Berkeley undergrads

That would make sense, since Berkeley ug is probably below average among the Berkeley Law class.


What does this even mean?

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby goldenbear2020 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:14 pm

SlippinJimmy wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:I've been told anecdotally that Boalt discriminates against Berkeley undergrads

That would make sense, since Berkeley ug is probably below average among the Berkeley Law class.


What does this even mean?

Most Berkeley Law students probably attended an undergrad better than Berkeley.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby Rigo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:15 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
SlippinJimmy wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:I've been told anecdotally that Boalt discriminates against Berkeley undergrads

That would make sense, since Berkeley ug is probably below average among the Berkeley Law class.

What does this even mean?

Most Berkeley Law students attended an undergrad better than Berkeley.

Kind of weird for a law school to think their parent is shitty though.

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby dietcoke1 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:48 pm

Rigo wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
SlippinJimmy wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:I've been told anecdotally that Boalt discriminates against Berkeley undergrads

That would make sense, since Berkeley ug is probably below average among the Berkeley Law class.

What does this even mean?

Most Berkeley Law students attended an undergrad better than Berkeley.

Kind of weird for a law school to think their parent is shitty though.


I really don't think that is the case cause otherwise they must think my undergrad is really shitty and they let me in.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby Rigo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:52 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:I really don't think that is the case cause otherwise they must think my undergrad is really shitty and they let me in.

I don't think it's the case either.

SlippinJimmy

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:01 am

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby SlippinJimmy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:27 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
SlippinJimmy wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:I've been told anecdotally that Boalt discriminates against Berkeley undergrads

That would make sense, since Berkeley ug is probably below average among the Berkeley Law class.


What does this even mean?

Most Berkeley Law students probably attended an undergrad better than Berkeley.


I seriously doubt that. There are like 15, give or take, undergraduate schools clearly better than Berkeley. You can't fill a 300 person class with 15 schools.

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions ... s-profile/

"115 undergraduate schools represented. Most predominant are U.C. Berkeley, UCLA, USC, Brown, Georgetown, U. Chicago, Harvard, Stanford, and Yale."

User avatar
charles117

Bronze
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby charles117 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:14 pm

Rigo wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
SlippinJimmy wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:I've been told anecdotally that Boalt discriminates against Berkeley undergrads

That would make sense, since Berkeley ug is probably below average among the Berkeley Law class.

What does this even mean?

Most Berkeley Law students attended an undergrad better than Berkeley.

Kind of weird for a law school to think their parent is shitty though.

the phd programs at cal are like this too. berkeley in general tends to frown upon "inbreeding"

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29316
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:32 pm

Most PhD programs do. I don't think it's as widespread in law schools because they're so much more numbers-focused.

emmbeegee

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:45 pm

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby emmbeegee » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:25 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Most PhD programs do. I don't think it's as widespread in law schools because they're so much more numbers-focused.


So interesting to hear this -- in my field, students are strongly discouraged from applying to PhD programs at their BA alma mater. Academia is such a fickle world.

User avatar
KissMyAxe

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby KissMyAxe » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:35 pm

grades?? wrote:Yale prefers their undergrad. Something like almost 1/4th of the Yale class is Yale undergrad.


This is my understanding as well.

And you can definitely fill a class with 15 schools. 50% of YLS' class are from three schools, and like 85% from like 10. They could easily make up the rest with 5 more schools. But I agree it's dumb to think Berkeley is thought of poorly by Berkeley Law, as that implies HYP grads are inherently better, when that has not been my experience.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29316
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:15 am

emmbeegee wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Most PhD programs do. I don't think it's as widespread in law schools because they're so much more numbers-focused.


So interesting to hear this -- in my field, students are strongly discouraged from applying to PhD programs at their BA alma mater. Academia is such a fickle world.

Yes, that's the case in my field too (I was agreeing with the post above me that said that Berkeley frowns on inbreeding.) sorry to be unclear!

emmbeegee

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:45 pm

Re: Does law school prefer students who graduated their undergrad/grad?

Postby emmbeegee » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:09 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
emmbeegee wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Most PhD programs do. I don't think it's as widespread in law schools because they're so much more numbers-focused.


So interesting to hear this -- in my field, students are strongly discouraged from applying to PhD programs at their BA alma mater. Academia is such a fickle world.

Yes, that's the case in my field too (I was agreeing with the post above me that said that Berkeley frowns on inbreeding.) sorry to be unclear!


Oh haha gotcha, I see what you were replying to. Inbreeding is the word we use too... Taking the MA/PhD from the same school is usually fine if it is a combo program, but each freestanding degree is expected to come from a different uni.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 18 guests