I hate you retake camp people on TLS Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chicagoburger

Bronze

I hate you retake camp people on TLS

Post by chicagoburger » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:30 pm

But good medicine always tastes bitter.
I just signed up for the June test and hope to improve 10 points.
My goal is a full scholarship to Illinois or ED at Northwestern. If I can't improve that much, my backup plan is to get more money from current offers.

One technical question, June test result will be back in July. How to ask school for more money when it's that late in the game?

Thanks again

zot1

Gold

Re: I hate you retake camp people on TLS

Post by zot1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:45 pm

Retake.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:53 pm

zot1 wrote:Retake.
TCR

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:55 pm

Most schools won't consider June for this year, but if you wait for next cycle, those extra points can get you everything you want admissions wise.

You can try to negotiate based on your new LSAT in June, but expect a lot of negative responses. With a new app, otoh, you could get great outcomes with way better financial outcomes.

I'm glad you're at least listening to the idea that you have the power to avoid bad financial/professional outcomes. This is incredibly encouraging.

chicagoburger

Bronze

Post by chicagoburger » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:29 pm

UVA2B wrote:Most schools won't consider June for this year, but if you wait for next cycle, those extra points can get you everything you want admissions wise.

You can try to negotiate based on your new LSAT in June, but expect a lot of negative responses. With a new app, otoh, you could get great outcomes with way better financial outcomes.

I'm glad you're at least listening to the idea that you have the power to avoid bad financial/professional outcomes. This is incredibly encouraging.
So can I put down deposit at say three schools and wait for July result to negotiate. Can I withdraw from two of them that late?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Lol I thought this thread was going in a very different direction.

Good job, fam.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:56 pm

chicagoburger wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Most schools won't consider June for this year, but if you wait for next cycle, those extra points can get you everything you want admissions wise.

So can I put down deposit at say three schools and wait for July result to negotiate. Can I withdraw from two of them that late?
you can withdraw at any time. You'll lose your seat deposit money, but as others said, if you improved your score it may be financially beneficial to apply again in the fall.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:41 pm

You can withdraw at any time, but can you have three seat deposits going in July? I thought there was a deadline after which schools got antsy about that. I could be remembering wrong, though.

(Also, pretty sure you won't be able to ED at NU unless you wait another cycle.)

Also, good luck on the retake!

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You can withdraw at any time, but can you have three seat deposits going in July? I thought there was a deadline after which schools got antsy about that. I could be remembering wrong, though.

(Also, pretty sure you won't be able to ED at NU unless you wait another cycle.)

the schools get deposit reports in mid may to see if anyone has seat deposit'd at multiple schools. idt it would be possible to hold 3 deposits this late

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:06 am

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

chicagoburger

Bronze

Post by chicagoburger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:21 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:You can withdraw at any time, but can you have three seat deposits going in July? I thought there was a deadline after which schools got antsy about that. I could be remembering wrong, though.

the schools get deposit reports in mid may to see if anyone has seat deposit'd at multiple schools. idt it would be possible to hold 3 deposits this late
So I can only use the June score to leverage one school only.
The reason I prefer this cycle is that my salary can kick in one year earlier. It puts me on my career path earlier as well

chicagoburger

Bronze

Post by chicagoburger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:27 am

chicagoburger wrote:But good medicine always tastes bitter.
I just signed up for the June test and hope to improve 10 points.
My goal is a full scholarship to Illinois or ED at Northwestern for next cycle. If I can't improve that much, my backup plan is to get more money from current offers.

One technical question, June test result will be back in July. How to ask school for more money when it's that late in the game?

After reading the comments, it seems that I can only keep one school in July.

Thanks again

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:49 am

chicagoburger wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

The reason I prefer this cycle is that my salary can kick in one year earlier. It puts me on my career path earlier as well
I get that, but you have to put yourself in a position to get the salary you want - it's better to start later and get what you're aiming for, than to start earlier and not. Also, one year is pretty much meaningless in terms of the scope of a career.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:24 am

I think whether or not retaking will help with scholly negotiation also depends on the school.

Like UT does a one-time scholly negotiation that basically binds you to attending if you accept their increased scholarship and the deadline for it is March 31, so idk if they'd even care to look at a June score.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:24 am

chicagoburger wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

What salary? You haven't even gone to one day of law school or been close to an exam. Yet you're concerned about waiting a year for your "salary?"

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:17 am

One thing I'd point out is that even though you can use a June LSAT to negotiate a scholarship offer up, it's not the most reliable method of doing so. More importantly, if you were to keep three schools on the hook and then end up withdrawing from all of them, they would definitely remember that next cycle.

Dovaking

New

Post by Dovaking » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:42 pm

Maybe pump your brakes a bit on the June retake being the make or break.

The LSAT is about deep dive studying and memorization of common patterns, it cannot be crammed by someone who is not already testing 90th percentile.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”