GW Law v. UC Davis Law

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
espstl

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:49 pm

GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby espstl » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:51 pm

l
Last edited by espstl on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5049
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:12 pm

Based on the limited information provided, if you want to practice in California, then Davis.

pyramidenergy888

New
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:44 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby pyramidenergy888 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:22 pm

The amount of prestige gained at GW seems minimal compared to the fact that Davis is in CA and it costs less.

clshopeful

Bronze
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:15 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby clshopeful » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:29 pm

compare employment statistics for your desired job (biglaw, gov, etc)

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby rpupkin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:37 pm

espstl wrote:Hello, California native here debating between these two schools for Fall 2017.
I am from about two hours outside of Davis, but also have family in DC. Davis slightly cheaper due to in-state costs.

The bolded suggests you'd have to pay sticker at either school. Don't do that.

espstl

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby espstl » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:27 pm

/
Last edited by espstl on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby rpupkin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:35 pm

espstl wrote:These are my options though :/

Then do what you need to do to get better options.

espstl

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby espstl » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:40 pm

What I really mean is money is not really a major concern in my law school decision

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby Rigo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:08 am

espstl wrote:What I really mean is money is not really a major concern in my law school decision

Why not?
If money truly isn't a concern, go to Penn (I see you got in there).

espstl

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby espstl » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:52 am

Not looking to live in Philly or practice in PA, also think I'd do much better in a less rigorous program (went to big public undergrad)

espstl

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby espstl » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:53 am

Rigo wrote:
espstl wrote:What I really mean is money is not really a major concern in my law school decision

Why not?
If money truly isn't a concern, go to Penn (I see you got in there).


Definitely have thought about that option,but have narrowed it down to these two schools after much thought

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1225
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:23 am

espstl wrote:
Rigo wrote:
espstl wrote:What I really mean is money is not really a major concern in my law school decision

Why not?
If money truly isn't a concern, go to Penn (I see you got in there).


Definitely have thought about that option,but have narrowed it down to these two schools after much thought


There's literally zero reason for you to pick GW Law or UC Davis Law at sticker than at Penn Sticker. Literally zero.

espstl

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby espstl » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:39 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
espstl wrote:
Rigo wrote:
espstl wrote:What I really mean is money is not really a major concern in my law school decision

Why not?
If money truly isn't a concern, go to Penn (I see you got in there).


Definitely have thought about that option,but have narrowed it down to these two schools after much thought


There's literally zero reason for you to pick GW Law or UC Davis Law at sticker than at Penn Sticker. Literally zero.


I mean you can always message me about it and I could explain my personal choices if it's really that important to you but I really meant to inquire about the original two schools in the thread.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5049
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:03 am

espstl wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
espstl wrote:
Rigo wrote:
espstl wrote:What I really mean is money is not really a major concern in my law school decision

Why not?
If money truly isn't a concern, go to Penn (I see you got in there).


Definitely have thought about that option,but have narrowed it down to these two schools after much thought


There's literally zero reason for you to pick GW Law or UC Davis Law at sticker than at Penn Sticker. Literally zero.


I mean you can always message me about it and I could explain my personal choices if it's really that important to you but I really meant to inquire about the original two schools in the thread.


Yes, and everyone really means to tell you that considering GW or Davis over Penn is a dumb move.

You mentioned earlier that you don't want to stay in Philly, which indicates that you didn't give much thought at all to this process. Almost 90% of Penn graduates don't end up in Pennsylvania. You also mentioned not wanting a "rigorous program", which indicates that you've put no thought at all into what law school actually looks like. The programs at GW and Davis will both be more stressful than the program at Penn, because your class rank at GW and Davis has a much larger impact on your job prospects.

Seriously, give more details about your actual options. You're not being asked to give information that would out you to the admissions committee. But based on the information you have given, you're making a boneheaded decision.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby BigZuck » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:17 am

Neither

Also picking GW over Penn at the same cost would be an unfathomably poor decision. Let alone Davis. Yuck.

User avatar
studyingeveryday

Silver
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby studyingeveryday » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Penn will give you MUCH better options (including in California!) than at either of these schools. You will have to worry about your ranking at both of these schools and will probably a lot more stressed out. If you're going to pay sticker either way and you're okay with that, please, please look into some employment stats and go to Penn. Seriously, you would be making a huge mistake by going to either of those over Penn at sticker.

espstl

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby espstl » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:30 pm

.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby Rigo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:45 pm

espstl wrote:.

What'd you choose?

espstl

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby espstl » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:55 pm

.

espstl

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby espstl » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:55 pm

.

espstl

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby espstl » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:56 pm

.

espstl

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby espstl » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:56 pm

.

espstl

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby espstl » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:56 pm

.

espstl

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby espstl » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:57 pm

..

espstl

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: GW Law v. UC Davis Law

Postby espstl » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:57 pm

..



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests