Does ED at GULC bind you beyond the current cycle?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gulp_gulc

New

Does ED at GULC bind you beyond the current cycle?

Postby gulp_gulc » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:31 am

I applied ED to GULC and was recently accepted. Currently I'm considering trying to withdraw (though I don't want to give much detail to avoid identifying myself). While I know I'm currently bound to attend Georgetown if I go to law school in the fall, does anybody have any idea if that would also apply to the next cycle? This would assume that I don't matriculate anywhere this fall.

The relevant text of the application is:

" I have read the description of Georgetown University Law Center’s EARLY DECISION admissions process on the Admissions website, and wish to be considered as an EARLY DECISION candidate. I will enroll at the Law Center if admitted under this process. In addition, if admitted under EARLY DECISION, I agree to withdraw all of my applications pending at other law schools, will withdraw my name from any waitlists, and will not initiate any new applications. Finally, I understand that I may not apply to any other law schools under a similarly BINDING EARLY DECISION process." (emphasis mine)

In the admissions packet was an acceptance letter and a slip containing the following text:

"To be completed by those admitted under the Early Decision admissions process. Please print, sign, and return this form by mail or fax as soon as possible, but no later than April 1, 2017.
In accordance with the terms of this Early Decision Agreement Form, I verify that I have withdrawn all of my applications pending at other law schools and have turned down all other offers of law school admission that I have received, if any. In addition, I will not initiate any new law school applications."

Does anybody know what would happen if i didn't complete that form by the deadline? Could I be blackballed from GULC and other schools? Thanks for reading over this!

guynourmin

Gold

Re: Does ED at GULC bind you beyond the current cycle?

Postby guynourmin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:45 am

Only applies for this cycle. Not sure if GULC would hold it against you next cycle, but no other school will. fwiw, if ED GULC means GULC at sticker, then waiting til next cycle is almost definitely going to be the right decision here.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:59 am

Withdraw from all schools for Fall 2017 (if you don't, Georgetown could very well contact them and you will be blacklisted everywhere. It could turn into a C&F issue actually) and you'll be able to reapply everywhere next year.
Write a tactful email to Georgetown saying your (financial) situation has changed and you're no longer able to attend in the fall.

Retake (I'm assuming you need to) and good luck applying next year.
Georgetown is not worth sticker, so you're making the right call.

gulp_gulc

New

Postby gulp_gulc » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:34 am

Thank you for the replies! I'm still a bit nervous around the possibility of Georgetown alerting the other T14 admissions offices about my withdrawing from ED/the cycle as a whole. Do admissions offices communicate with each other about that sort of thing? Is the language in the ED part of the app as strict as it seems superficially? The closest related topic I could find was this from 2012, viewtopic.php?f=9&t=200548. It'd not be very fun to retake only to find that I'd been blacklisted.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:36 am

gulp_gulc wrote:Thank you for the replies! I'm still a bit nervous around the possibility of Georgetown alerting the other T14 admissions offices about my withdrawing from ED/the cycle as a whole. Do admissions offices communicate with each other about that sort of thing? Is the language in the ED part of the app as strict as it seems superficially? The closest related topic I could find was this from 2012, viewtopic.php?f=9&t=200548. It'd not be very fun to retake only to find that I'd been blacklisted.

If you withdraw from the cycle as a whole it doesn't matter/they won't contact other adcoms.
The problem is if you withdraw from Georgetown after being accepted ED but didn't follow through with withdrawing your apps at other schools.

It's basically Georgetown or nothing for you this cycle.

Gray

Platinum

Postby Gray » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:42 am

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:43 am

I see how that link you provided muddies the water in your mind.
Fwiw I haven't heard of schools requiring a deferral recently if you turn down ED for that year.

Easterbork

Bronze

Postby Easterbork » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Ask gtown for a scholarship before you withdraw.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?