A Sorta Funny Story

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Does Jim Attend HLS?

Yes
25%
No
No votes
He was probably never even admitted
75%

Total votes: 20

thingstobedone

New

A Sorta Funny Story

Postby thingstobedone » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:20 am

I actually posted this story a while back, and it seemed that people were interested in knowing more, but I took it down because I thought the post contained too much information.

Anyway, this is just a kind of funny story about my friend's lie about being admitted to and attending HLS. I hope it entertains y'all in the stress of admissions season.

I have a friend who's always kind of been a liar. Let's call him Jim. Jim mostly less about small stuff here and there, and he's pretty transparent when he lies.

For years, Jim claimed to have my a near perfect GPA in an engineering program that is hard curved to C+ while working full time, not really attending class often, and partying every weekend.

Jim is the type of guy smart enough to know that as long as he provides no proof when asked, he is technically right to claim that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

One day, Jim and I made a bet as to who would get higher on the LSAT. We both studied pretty extensively, and he claimed to have gotten a 175+ on June 2014. That and his proclaimed 3.9+ would have put him well in YLS territory. He waited a couple of years and applied last cycle.

In the interim, he lorded his stats in a "haha" way. When I asked for proof, he would kind of just shut up.

He never really bragged about his acceptance, but told a few close friends, but eventually the news did get around.

At a pool party last summer, a lot of people were like "Congratulations on HLS?" since Jim has a reputation for lying. Most people around me and really I as well thought that since this had been a lie/achievement 4 years in the making, it'd take a lot of balls for someone to tell this elaborate of a lie so we just went along.

In a joking attempt to bust his balls, I asked him about where he was going to get 300K to attend. He said that his employer was paying his way through school.

Let me set the record straight here for those still reading, a Canadian HVAC sales company is paying for my friend's American legal education (COL included) so that he would work for them in Canada as in-house counsel straight out of law school.

At the same party, he went on to talk about how he was considering taking classes online at HLS, got the 1L starting date wrong, how HLS was pass/fail (got that bit right), and talked about only flying in for midterms and finals. You know those all important midterms that law students stress over...

Anyway, September 2016 rolled around, and he's still in Canada... working for the same HVAC company... and "taking online classes at HLS." Last I heard from a friend, Jim flew to Boston to take his midterms. He isn't in the Harvard student directory.

I guess it's theoretically possible for someone to remove themselves from the student directory at registration, convince 10 professors to accommodate him by uploading lectures online while reading on his own and working what he claims are 70 hour weeks, and only fly in to take exams, but who are we really kidding?

Whenever asked, he repeats the same line about taking classes online.

Our mutual friends' opinions range from slight doubt to extreme doubt. I am extremely unconfrontational and Jim, besides being a liar is genuinely a cool dude... so basically everyone--I especially--know that short of some astronomical circumstance, Jim doesn't attend HLS, and I get the feeling that he knows that the lie is falling apart at the seams, but those who know don't care and those who care don't know enough to confront Jim about why he would keep up this lie that was barely convincing to begin with... for 5 years...

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Re: A Sorta Funny Story

Postby ZVBXRPL » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:15 am

Was expecting him to prove you wrong. So basically your friend lied, and didn't get anywhere with it. Um......

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:22 am

People that lie about stuff like this freak me out.

Monday

Silver

Postby Monday » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:16 am

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Postby KissMyAxe » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:10 am

I can confirm Jim's story. I know him personally. He takes online classes here too.

But seriously, what sort of loser cares about this so much to make all these posts? It's not even sorta funny. It just seems really pathetic that you're this hung up about it. Grow up and live your own life.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:21 am

I'm guessing that you didn't get into HLS either from the way you're so bitter about him lying about it lolol

ood's_brother

Bronze

Postby ood's_brother » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:42 am

OP is crowd sourcing a short story? Seriously man, you've posted this bit everywhere.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:18 pm

Both of you are weird. Also, if you don't believe him, why don't you say something?

you_were_driving

New

Postby you_were_driving » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:58 am

Almost getting to the point where the guy obsessing over the guy lying about going to hls is more off putting than the guy lying about going to hls.

Congrats?

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:59 am

brinicolec wrote:People that lie about stuff like this freak me out.

Yeah, they always end up on Dateline NBC after killing someone who uncovered the truth.

Be safe OP!

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:03 am

Nobody (clap clap) gives (clap clap) a fuck.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:44 am

HuntedUnicorn wrote:Nobody (clap clap) gives (clap clap) a fuck.

Don't listen to this hater OP.

I, for one, will care when I watch your episode of Dateline NBC, and the subsequent ID channel stories.

And yes, I will mostly care because of your salacious death. But I'll still care.

Ronan

Gold

Postby Ronan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:58 am

I have a goldfish.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:47 pm

Ronan wrote:I have a goldfish.

Did he get accepted to HLS?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�