Retake or Wait it Out?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
What2donow1

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:42 pm

Retake or Wait it Out?

Postby What2donow1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Okay tldr - I'm a AA Male URM, 3.23 LSDAS ( from a lackluster state school), with 4 takes on the LSAT - Canceled, 162, 161, 166.

Got wait-listed by a T-14 school, and I submitted my apps pretty late (Jan 27) because my last score was this December. My apps aren't sloppy at all, but I feel that I could make them much better and reapply early per the advice I've read here knowing that I would have more time. ( 4 years out of school, couldnt get an academic reference,)

My question is that should I either:
A) Withdraw all apps and reapply early next cycle?
B) Just retake - essentially either withdrawing my apps, working on my essays, saving cash and preparing for an Official PT take in 2018 - most likely June or Oct
C) let everything play out - and go from there

My freeze would end in Feb 2018. I'm not in a hurry per se ( my job just promoted me and actually really likes me) and my job isn't great, but its stable in an area with low COL. I'm not in a rush, and I know I would improve. The 166 was wayy below my PT average and I only had about 2 hours of sleep due to my flight being delayed. ( I only missed 2 on the LG section, and none on the last game)

Here's the thing - I have some minor C&F issues - One being a quiet hours/noise violation my school expunged, and the other is a charge of me running away from home in high school ( I was in&out of foster care a bit, my home was pretty abusive). (There is also a case of me driving while black- a cop stopped me with no plausible cause and the system had mistakenly marked me with a suspended license. Had to hire a lawyer and the case was dismissed by the county prosecutor and i have all the files stating the cop's wrongdoing and stating my innocence, but as this isn't my fault I don't see it hurting me.) I've been told that C&F issues like mine even with explanations still look bad, and with my "State School" gpa, i'm allegedly a "risk".

I'm leaning towards retaking the exam as I'm finally "somewhat" financially stable (I've actually got savings in my savings acct) for the first time in my life and I would have a clear head to focus with. Also with me actually having benefits, I can actually afford medication for my ADHD and get glasses that actually are the right prescription.

So would a 5th take look bad for me if I broke 170+ ( which i had been doing and still plan to do now that I've started studying again last night) ?
Or should I just let it play out?

Thanks! You'r input is really appreciated. I don't have anybody close to me to bounce anything off of.

PS - I don't want anything but the T-14. No disrespect to anybody on this forum, whatever ifs for you is for you. But I know i would be heavily disappointed in myself and wouldn't try at all, much less taking a seast from somebody who really wants it. If i'm not good enough for the T-14, please just come out and say it, I can take honesty, and I'll move on with my life.

Also, I not interested in any transfer options. I attended 7 schools during 13 years of my K-12 life. I've transferred enough, and I would actually like to make lasting friends at this point in my life. Sorry if I'm being too emo.
Last edited by What2donow1 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

somedeadman

Bronze
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Retake or Wait it Out?

Postby somedeadman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:19 pm

Disclaimer - 0L

Since you have to wait till feb 2018 before you can take it again, why don't you apply the day apps open this fall and see how it goes? If results aren't to your liking, then you can take again.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Retake or Wait it Out?

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:19 pm

I'd let it play out since you already applied, but have a clear idea of what you want and if your options fall short of that, be prepared to walk away.

You seem like you have a pretty good head on your shoulders and a decent job setup, so no need to rush unless something great comes through.

You ARE good enough for the T14.

What2donow1

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Retake or Wait it Out?

Postby What2donow1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:27 pm

somedeadman wrote:Disclaimer - 0L

Since you have to wait till feb 2018 before you can take it again, why don't you apply the day apps open this fall and see how it goes? If results aren't to your liking, then you can take again.


Because I already applied to some schools this cycle - Only the essays would change, is that enough though? I'm really unaware.
On top of my LSAT addendum, I'd have to explain why I didnt just wait to apply in August with better essays? Or am I wrong?

I guess I'm afraid that with my multiple LSATs and multiple times applying, they could perceive it as bad judgment ( which its not, but they're T-14, so they can be picky)

What2donow1

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Retake or Wait it Out?

Postby What2donow1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:29 pm

Rigo wrote:I'd let it play out since you already applied, but have a clear idea of what you want and if your options fall short of that, be prepared to walk away.

You seem like you have a pretty good head on your shoulders and a decent job setup, so no need to rush unless something great comes through.

You ARE good enough for the T14.


Thank Rigo.
I talked to some old admissions consultant (not from any big firm) yesterday that told me I should focus on schools like BU, UWashington and UWisconsin and I was floored. She knows I'm a AA Male too, so I was really really cross with her.

Also it seems like my GPA is a 3.23 - the two B''s and one B- in CC classes i took lowered it. Will that make a significant difference?

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Retake or Wait it Out?

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:35 pm

166 and AA URM, of course you're good enough to get T14 (even without a URM boost, you'd have a shot). I've only got a 168 and I've gotten in everywhere so far (as high as NYU).

Don't let anyone tell you that you don't belong. Obviously if you had a retake available (not a year out) I'd think you should retake and crush it since you underperformed on test day, but I think you should let this cycle ride out and see what you get.

Unrelated: Had never heard of getting stopped for 'driving while black' and I found it humorous (not that you got pulled, just how you described it)

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Retake or Wait it Out?

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:37 pm

What2donow1 wrote:
Rigo wrote:I'd let it play out since you already applied, but have a clear idea of what you want and if your options fall short of that, be prepared to walk away.

You seem like you have a pretty good head on your shoulders and a decent job setup, so no need to rush unless something great comes through.

You ARE good enough for the T14.


Thank Rigo.
I talked to some old admissions consultant (not from any big firm) yesterday that told me I should focus on schools like BU, UWashington and UWisconsin and I was floored. She knows I'm a AA Male too, so I was really really cross with her.

Also it seems like my GPA is a 3.23 - the two B''s and one B- in CC classes i took lowered it. Will that make a significant difference?

Don't listen to people with antiquated knowledge.
I can't say I know a ton about URM admissions specifics but you can outperform those.
I'm skeptical of any "consultant" who would tell you to apply to three regional schools in completely different regions.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Retake or Wait it Out?

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:38 pm

Where did you apply this time around?

What2donow1

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Retake or Wait it Out?

Postby What2donow1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Rigo wrote:Where did you apply this time around?


PM'ed you the schools.

Long story short 8-14

personofinterest

Bronze
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Retake or Wait it Out?

Postby personofinterest » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:49 pm

What2donow1 wrote:
Rigo wrote:I'd let it play out since you already applied, but have a clear idea of what you want and if your options fall short of that, be prepared to walk away.

You seem like you have a pretty good head on your shoulders and a decent job setup, so no need to rush unless something great comes through.

You ARE good enough for the T14.


Thank Rigo.
I talked to some old admissions consultant (not from any big firm) yesterday that told me I should focus on schools like BU, UWashington and UWisconsin and I was floored. She knows I'm a AA Male too, so I was really really cross with her.

Also it seems like my GPA is a 3.23 - the two B''s and one B- in CC classes i took lowered it. Will that make a significant difference?


I second the wait it out strategy so you can at least see what you end up with. There is no cost in seeing what you end up with (aside from maybe stress).

I don't know much about URM admissions, so check out those parts of this site. My gut feel is that you have solid numbers for T14, so waiting another year while working a job you're fine with isn't a bad fallback. Good luck, and make sure to check out the URM threads!

somedeadman

Bronze
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Retake or Wait it Out?

Postby somedeadman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:56 pm

To clarify, I didn't mean to pull out your apps. Basically keep knocking on the door until you get what you want

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Retake or Wait it Out?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:11 pm

FWIW, your C&F issues appear super super minor to me, none of them involving anything that raises red flags for adcomms or bar examiners (if you had like identity theft or embezzling funds or fraud type stuff, that's the kind of stuff they care about).

texcellence

Bronze
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:05 pm

Re: Retake or Wait it Out?

Postby texcellence » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:05 pm

What2donow1 wrote:
somedeadman wrote:Disclaimer - 0L

Since you have to wait till feb 2018 before you can take it again, why don't you apply the day apps open this fall and see how it goes? If results aren't to your liking, then you can take again.


Because I already applied to some schools this cycle - Only the essays would change, is that enough though? I'm really unaware.
On top of my LSAT addendum, I'd have to explain why I didnt just wait to apply in August with better essays? Or am I wrong?

I guess I'm afraid that with my multiple LSATs and multiple times applying, they could perceive it as bad judgment ( which its not, but they're T-14, so they can be picky)
Last edited by texcellence on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whitecollar23

Bronze
Posts: 363
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:27 pm

Re: Retake or Wait it Out?

Postby whitecollar23 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:08 am

You could wait it out and still decide to wait until the next cycle. But yes, if you do apply again, you'd want your personal statement to tell over your story in a way that takes your unique experiences--and you sure have a unique set of experiences--and weaves it together very well. Send me a PM if you think you might end up doing that. Weaving together life experiences to enhance an application is sort of my thing.

Either way, good luck!



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sheboygan! and 22 guests