Lots o' debt, where to go?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
POTATOMAN90

New

Lots o' debt, where to go?

Postby POTATOMAN90 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Greetings! I applied ED to Wisconsin for this fall's entering class, and was accepted with ~70k in scholarships after a revision request. I plan on withdrawing from this cycle and instead applying for the Class of 2021 with the hopes of receiving a higher scholarship offer. I'm a non-URM (unless Filipino-American counts), and have a 163 LSAT with a currently 3.65 LSAC GPA, with residency in North Carolina. Now, 100k in debt at Wisconsin probably wouldn't be too bad of a deal. The problem is that I already have 130k in undergrad debt. Where should I apply to achieve a balance of both minimal debt yet maximal job prospects?

kingpin101

Bronze

Re: Lots o' debt, where to go?

Postby kingpin101 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:50 pm

To an LSAT testing center, that's for sure. That undergrad debt is insane.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:53 pm

POTATOMAN90 wrote:Greetings! I applied ED to Wisconsin for this fall's entering class, and was accepted with ~70k in scholarships after a revision request. I plan on withdrawing from this cycle and instead applying for the Class of 2021 with the hopes of receiving a higher scholarship offer. I'm a non-URM (unless Filipino-American counts), and have a 163 LSAT with a currently 3.65 LSAC GPA, with residency in North Carolina. Now, 100k in debt at Wisconsin probably wouldn't be too bad of a deal. The problem is that I already have 130k in undergrad debt. Where should I apply to achieve a balance of both minimal debt yet maximal job prospects?

Retake - a few more points can get you close to a full scholarship at a regional school. Also, don't ED next time - that takes away your ability to compare offers from schools and use them to negotiate.

POTATOMAN90

New

Postby POTATOMAN90 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:58 pm

kingpin101 wrote:To an LSAT testing center, that's for sure. That undergrad debt is insane.

I know my UG choice was not the best. I consistently scored from 169-173 on PT's, and on the test I took (for the first time in an actual setting), I foolishly was stuck on an article that soaked 20 minutes of my time. In other words, I know I could perform better, but I don't want to make any terrible decisions.

POTATOMAN90

New

Postby POTATOMAN90 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:02 pm

floatie wrote:Retake - a few more points can get you close to a full scholarship at a regional school. Also, don't ED next time - that takes away your ability to compare offers from schools and use them to negotiate.

Do you think it would be worth it to reapply? I'm not sure I can acquire a meaningful occupation in the meantime, and thus can only get some kind of entry-level retail job.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:03 pm

Wisconsin makes no sense and practically no one should ED there.

If you're going to retake, this thread doesn't matter. Come back to us with your new score.
Get a good job and pay down that undergrad debt.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:04 pm

POTATOMAN90 wrote:
floatie wrote:Retake - a few more points can get you close to a full scholarship at a regional school. Also, don't ED next time - that takes away your ability to compare offers from schools and use them to negotiate.

Do you think it would be worth it to reapply? I'm not sure I can acquire a meaningful occupation in the meantime, and thus can only get some kind of entry-level retail job.

Why can't you get entry level office jobs? Do you live out in the sticks with only gas stations and a Dairy Queen?

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:08 pm

POTATOMAN90 wrote:

Abercrombie & Fitch, PacSun, Guess, et al. all hire people with bachelor's degrees as assistant managers, not minimum-wage staff. That's always an option, albeit only because you said retail was the only occupation you can find.

Why not work as a teller at a bank; work in a law firm; work at an office; etc? You have 130,000 in UG debt...you should be retaking until you can go to a non-t14 for basically FREE or to a t-14 (almost certainly a lower-ranked one) for 75-85% off.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POTATOMAN90

New

Postby POTATOMAN90 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Why can't you get entry level office jobs? Do you live out in the sticks with only gas stations and a Dairy Queen?

Yeah. The only places where I'll be able to live rent-free are in a small town and in Charlotte, but I don't have any prior office experience and have yet to have luck with applications. Thanks for the replies!

POTATOMAN90

New

Postby POTATOMAN90 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Abercrombie & Fitch, PacSun, Guess, et al. all hire people with bachelor's degrees as assistant managers, not minimum-wage staff. That's always an option, albeit only because you said retail was the only occupation you can find.

Why not work as a teller at a bank; work in a law firm; work at an office; etc? You have 130,000 in UG debt...you should be retaking until you can go to a non-t14 for basically FREE or to a t-14 (almost certainly a lower-ranked one) for 75-85% off.

I find it difficult to acquire teller or office assistant jobs, especially with no experience or valuable connections. Not trying to sound smart, but I have accepted the likelihood of not being able to start in the or a related field.

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:30 pm

POTATOMAN90 wrote:

I find it difficult to acquire teller or office assistant jobs, especially with no experience or valuable connections. Not trying to sound smart, but I have accepted the likelihood of not being able to start in the or a related field.

lmfao. I landed a teller gig with a GPA much lower than yours, from a state school much lower ranked than yours (I know, because you literally can't graduate my school with that much debt), and my only experience was by working min. wage at a retail gig similar to the ones I listed. No other experience. No "valuable" connections.

I'm speaking from experience here. Just send some apps out to your local banks and credit unions. Or find a different route. But unless you are hellbent on leaving school with 350-400k+ worth of debt, you'd be a fool not to sit out and retake.

Even waiting tables would net you some decent $$ to live off of for the year. My little brother waits tables at a restaurant chain and makes enough to pay his phone bill, insurance, rent, and go to school (albeit his loans take care of tuition)...
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:32 pm

POTATOMAN90 wrote:

Yeah. The only places where I'll be able to live rent-free are in a small town and in Charlotte, but I don't have any prior office experience and have yet to have luck with applications. Thanks for the replies!

Everybody has to start somewhere. Apply anywhere and everywhere.
Get on Indeed and apply to everything you're even remotely qualified for.

I got a barista job with no barista experience. I got an office job with no experience. It happens all the time if you show promise in the interview.

There are tons of jobs in Charlotte in nearly every sector.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:37 pm

How did you manage to get $130k in debt for an apparently worthless undergrad degree?

Please don't go to LS unless you score higher on the LSAT and can get into a good school at almost no cost. Would be absolutely ridiculous to come out of LS with two worthless degrees. Don't make the same mistakes again :?

POTATOMAN90

New

Postby POTATOMAN90 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:56 pm

How did you manage to get $130k in debt for an apparently worthless undergrad degree?

Please don't go to LS unless you score higher on the LSAT and can get into a good school at almost no cost. Would be absolutely ridiculous to come out of LS with two worthless degrees. Don't make the same mistakes again :?

I go to the University of Washington as OOS (horrible financial decision, I know) and will receive a social science degree. So, it's not an English degree, but it's also not Computer Science. My original idea was to go straight into law school and thus, my UG degree wouldn't be the determinant of my job prospects.
Last edited by POTATOMAN90 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:39 pm

Well, many test takers take the LSAT 2-3 times. You get three tries, so you really may as well utilize them. Even if you don't think you want a gap year, start studying for June. If you still don't like your score/are still stuck on going next year, well, that's your decision but you really ought to put yourself in a better financial situation before taking on more debt. If you do significantly better, then you'll know to wait a year. You'll get even more scholarships next year, can spend next year working to make even just a bit of money which will help (even if it's retail), and you'll be better off both undergrad debt and law school debt wise (not to mention you can get yourself into an even better ranked school). Good luck.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:49 pm

POTATOMAN90 wrote:How did you manage to get $130k in debt for an apparently worthless undergrad degree?

I go to the University of Washington as OOS (horrible financial decision, I know) and will receive a social science degree. So, it's not an English degree, but it's also not Computer Science. My original idea was to go straight into law school and thus, my UG degree wouldn't be the determinant of my job prospects.[/quote]

So if your UG degree wouldn't even be the determinant of your job prospects, as you say, why did you not just go to a local/cheaper school? I agree with the previous poster in that you shouldn't just decide to attend just any law school without taking everything into consideration. $300k+ total debt coming out of Wisconsin pretty much would've ruined your life.

POTATOMAN90

New

Postby POTATOMAN90 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Well, many test takers take the LSAT 2-3 times. You get three tries, so you really may as well utilize them. Even if you don't think you want a gap year, start studying for June. If you still don't like your score/are still stuck on going next year, well, that's your decision but you really ought to put yourself in a better financial situation before taking on more debt. If you do significantly better, then you'll know to wait a year. You'll get even more scholarships next year, can spend next year working to make even just a bit of money which will help (even if it's retail), and you'll be better off both undergrad debt and law school debt wise (not to mention you can get yourself into an even better ranked school). Good luck.

Yeah, I'll probably go for either June or September. I think it best to bring my debt down to <100k over the next year before trying to take on any more. Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�