Applying this Cycle: Would June LSAT retake be worth it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Applying this Cycle: Would June LSAT retake be worth it?

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:54 pm

So I've applied this cycle already and have already been hearing back from schools. I'm fully in the "retake LSAT" camp of TLS but was wondering if doing so would be worth it in this situation.

I've taken the LSAT 3 times already (June 2015, October 2015, and December 2015). My 2 years freeze period is up this June. This is my 3rd year after graduating UG (applied late last year but decided to reapply early this cycle). I'm not going to sit out another year.

Would it be worth it to take the June 2017 LSAT with the hopes of getting accepted into the schools that have waitlisted me already (assuming they don't boot me off before the June scores come out)? Would there even be extra merit aid that I could get that late in the game?

Columbia "reserve"
GULC waitlist
UCLA waitlist

Accepted already at a couple of T20s (no scholarship info yet)
GW $80k
Fordham $110k

160/166/165
Non URM

Thanks!

brinicolec

Gold

Re: Applying this Cycle: Would June LSAT retake be worth it?

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:49 pm

Gonna ask a basic question I'm sure other ppl will ask: What do you want to do post-grad?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:50 pm

brinicolec wrote:Gonna ask a basic question I'm sure other ppl will ask: What do you want to do post-grad?

NYC Biglaw -> US Attorney's Office

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:53 pm

I have heard of people doing this and it's definitely fairly common but I don't know how successful they were, so I'll leave others to comment on that.

Do you have any other options? Anything in between Columbia and GULC? Other T20s - WUSTL, Vandy, UT, BU etc?

Will you be financing your education completely with loans? If not, how much do you expect to take out in loans (50% of what's left after scholarship, just COL, etc?) ?

Edit: saw you want NYC, so scratch the other T20s outside of BU.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:08 pm

I think its worth it (both to try and get off waitlists and to negotiate a higher scholarship at the school where you deposited) but don't get your hopes up - there are no guarantees that late in the cycle.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:16 pm

sjs12 wrote:I have heard of people doing this and it's definitely fairly common but I don't know how successful they were, so I'll leave others to comment on that.

Do you have any other options? Anything in between Columbia and GULC? Other T20s - WUSTL, Vandy, UT, BU etc?

Will you be financing your education completely with loans? If not, how much do you expect to take out in loans (50% of what's left after scholarship, just COL, etc?) ?

Edit: saw you want NYC, so scratch the other T20s outside of BU.

PMed you!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:17 pm

floatie wrote:I think its worth it (both to try and get off waitlists and to negotiate a higher scholarship at the school where you deposited) but don't get your hopes up - there are no guarantees that late in the cycle.

Thanks! I saw your post on Columbia's thread about taking June and was very much encouraged

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:06 am

Last edited by somedeadman on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:11 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Gonna ask a basic question I'm sure other ppl will ask: What do you want to do post-grad?

NYC Biglaw -> US Attorney's Office

With these goals you 100% need to retake in June.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�