How would you guess these Ws would be counted by LSAC

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

How would you guess these Ws would be counted by LSAC

Postby venturegirl8403 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:16 pm

I have a 3.41 Absolute gpa, and a 179 LSAT score.

I do have some Withdrawals, but I wasn't lazy, I was ill, which I will note on my addendum.

I have an official copy of my transcript, and on the 'transcript key' on the back, it clearly states that Withdrawals are under "grades not affecting the gpa", and in addition none of mine affected my gpa.

I've known of a few others from my school that applied to law school, and said the Ws at my school didn't count. So it would appear like everything was fine. However, during one semester I retook a few classes to boost my transcript gpa, and Withdrew from the classes, my school forgives first attempt, so by error, they have wrote by the Semester of Withdrawals, "I - for include", since the grades would have been Included, but I withdrew and by error they didn't take the three "Include notations off", but again they didn't affect my gpa and it states on the back Ws are not punitive.

So, Would you say chances are better then likely it will be okay? Or marked as Fs? I contacted my registrar, and the assistant replied and said, "Oh don't worry Ws wont count" and doesn't appear like she wants to fix it.

Do you think its okay or not? I cant think they would just look for a few random "Include notations"? right?

Re: How would you guess these Ws would be counted by LSAC

Postby Rubbishdump » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:03 pm

Ws don't count, you're fine.

Re: How would you guess these Ws would be counted by LSAC

Postby SPerez » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:11 pm

You don't have to guess. Here's a link to LSAC's policy:

It states: "Grades Excluded from Conversion: Withdraw, Withdraw/Pass—only if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive."

Now, if your transcript currently says the W is punitive by mistake, I would definitely get that fixed ASAP. Don't listen to what anyone else says about what LSAC does or what "counts", including whoever answers the phones in your Registrar's office. I don't know for sure how it works at LSAT, but if it's just scanned and whatever is noted on the face of the document is what is "entered" then you want to know that.

I believe, though, that you can see your LSAC report before you apply to schools (assuming you get the documents in on time) so you can see if it actually works out that way or not.

Stephen M. Perez
Prof. & Fmr. Admissions Dean

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”