Quit job to prepare for fall?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mtf612

Bronze

Quit job to prepare for fall?

Postby mtf612 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:03 pm

Hey all! So I'm in a bit of pickle. I've become unhappy at my work after two years here. The pay is okay ($17/hr) but I'm not gaining any new practical experience at this point. I submitted my apps late (went complete 1/3) and so far I've heard back from less than half of the schools I applied to. I do have a couple of T14 admits and I'm hoping for T6.

My dilemma is that I've put on a bunch of weight over the last six months. I really want to focus on getting back into shape and being mentally prepared for law school later this year. Between my work day and long driving commute, I have found it impossible to tackle personal life stuff. Besides traveling, I wanted to work on my typing speed, finish reading a few books, and take a couple of online courses on programming.
Although I can elect to go part time, i feel as though taking a few months off before school isn't a terrible idea.

Thoughts? Will I need to report to the schools that I've yet to hear from that I have voluntarily left my full time job? Will this hurt my chances?

Wipfelder

Silver

Re: Quit job to prepare for fall?

Postby Wipfelder » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:08 pm

mtf612 wrote:Hey all! So I'm in a bit of pickle. I've become unhappy at my work after two years here. The pay is okay ($17/hr) but I'm not gaining any new practical experience at this point. I submitted my apps late (went complete 1/3) and so far I've heard back from less than half of the schools I applied to. I do have a couple of T14 admits and I'm hoping for T6.

My dilemma is that I've put on a bunch of weight over the last six months. I really want to focus on getting back into shape and being mentally prepared for law school later this year. Between my work day and long driving commute, I have found it impossible to tackle personal life stuff. Besides traveling, I wanted to work on my typing speed, finish reading a few books, and take a couple of online courses on programming.
Although I can elect to go part time, i feel as though taking a few months off before school isn't a terrible idea.

Thoughts? Will I need to report to the schools that I've yet to hear from that I have voluntarily left my full time job? Will this hurt my chances?

There is probably no way in which quitting a job in anticipation of moving or whatever would impact your applications.

Please do get in shape and pursue your things. It's not going to get better. This summer will be what you refer to as "the golden era" (sorry, being overdramatic, but I took the summer off and am very happy I did)

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:11 pm

mtf612 wrote:Hey all! So I'm in a bit of pickle. I've become unhappy at my work after two years here. The pay is okay ($17/hr) but I'm not gaining any new practical experience at this point. I submitted my apps late (went complete 1/3) and so far I've heard back from less than half of the schools I applied to. I do have a couple of T14 admits and I'm hoping for T6.

Considering your goals, and how far out the start date is for school, you should consider going part-time for now. I switched to a different job because it cut down on my commute, and I could also focus on fitness/classes I wanted to take. I wouldn't completely quit your job.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:21 pm

(1) I think this is very unlikely to affect your chances of admission anywhere.

(2) I'd also consider going part time for a little while to see if that's enough of a change. $$$ is nice, and I assume you can always quit later if you want to (I'm also the kind of person who benefits from having some more structured office-type time in my day, but you may be different).

(3) Law school and being a lawyer will place immense demands on your time and sanity as well. Some things (taking a programming class, working on typing speed, traveling, finishing books) can be back-burnered for a little while, but make time for your health during law school.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:30 pm

Your mental health and happiness should be your priority here, whether going to school in the fall or not.
However, if and when you're in a position to financially do so, start winding down at your job. Cut down to 32 hours/week then 24. Then come summer, feel free to just quit or wind down even more.

Good luck!

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:23 am

Honestly, I'd want to pocket as much cash as you can right now since come law school you're going to be broke. If you quit right at the start of Summer, you'll have plenty of time to get everything in order, take some time for yourself, and really enjoy yourself before starting school.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:40 am

star fox wrote:Honestly, I'd want to pocket as much cash as you can right now since come law school you're going to be broke. If you quit right at the start of Summer, you'll have plenty of time to get everything in order, take some time for yourself, and really enjoy yourself before starting school.

+1. This is what I'm doing, except I'm not quitting until July. Don't have much of a choice, financially.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:33 am

sjs12 wrote:
star fox wrote:Honestly, I'd want to pocket as much cash as you can right now since come law school you're going to be broke. If you quit right at the start of Summer, you'll have plenty of time to get everything in order, take some time for yourself, and really enjoy yourself before starting school.

+1. This is what I'm doing, except I'm not quitting until July. Don't have much of a choice, financially.

+2, I'm planning on quitting around June or so, so that I can maximize $$ but have 2+ months to find housing, work out, etc.

btruj777

Bronze

Postby btruj777 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:51 am

So glad that you decided to post this and I agree with what everyone has said!

I am in the very same situation as you.

Working 40+ Hours (terribly long Downtown Miami Commute 3+ Hours)
Tutoring for extra dinero
4 Classes
Bible Studies
Girlfriend, etc etc

All these things taken together make it for a very demanding week, and that has also taken a toll on my well-being #LSATbody. I think taking a season to relax and rest before law school is a great idea.

I decided to set a hard quitting date of March 28th for myself. I came to this date by tracking my current and future expenses and seeing how much money I currently have and how much I would need to have a good summer and an easy moving process. By budgeting on excel and tracking "potential future earnings" I saw that if I stayed till July/August I would be making only a minimal amount more, at the expense of my mental and physical well-being.

Give this a shot, see how much you need to move to school, how much you need to have a relaxing summer, and then see how much time at work is necessary for those goals. Doing the excel has given me a nice target budget and a definite time at which I would quit.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:47 am

btruj777 wrote:I decided to set a hard quitting date of March 28th for myself. I came to this date by tracking my current and future expenses and seeing how much money I currently have and how much I would need to have a good summer and an easy moving process. By budgeting on excel and tracking "potential future earnings" I saw that if I stayed till July/August I would be making only a minimal amount more, at the expense of my mental and physical well-being.

Give this a shot, see how much you need to move to school, how much you need to have a relaxing summer, and then see how much time at work is necessary for those goals. Doing the excel has given me a nice target budget and a definite time at which I would quit.

This is a good idea, thank you! I think I'm going to do this and see if I can quit a little earlier. I enjoy being busy though, and couldn't imagine not being in work/school for more than a couple months (My current quit date gives me a month and a half before orientation begins, but I wouldn't mind having an extra couple of weeks added to that).

For anyone who wants/need to keep making money but not work a 40+ hour a week job, I really recommend looking into driving for Uber or Lyft if it's available in your city. My friend did this last summer and was able to work her own hours while still making money but having a lot of time for relaxation before law school began.

GFox345

Bronze

Postby GFox345 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:28 pm

OP, Congratulations on your T14 admits. You should be very proud of yourself. I know it feels like your life is about to change completely (and in many ways it is), but I would urge you to think twice about quitting your job early. I just completed 1L in December at Michigan, and I have a few things to point out that you might find useful.

1.) The mental stress of 1L is vastly overstated by people on this site and by the law community at large. During maybe the month before finals you will be completely swamped and stressed out, but you will have all the time between the start of the semester and then (roughly 3 months) to get your mind right, work out, and do whatever you want to do. The thing that surprised me most about law school was how much free time I had. I suspect that your experience will be similar.

2.) Law School costs A LOT, and you should be very, very mindful of this every step of the way. This is one of two things that posters on this site constantly harp on that improves people's lives dramatically (retaking the LSAT being the other one). Even if you are getting a full ride to a T14, why wouldn't you want to minimize your debt? Unless your employment is truly putting you under some dire mental stress, the money that you earn is absolutely worth the time. If you can manage to save any money (or even to move to Law School and buy books on your own funds instead of on borrowed money), that will be huge in the long run. The wait before law school is long. I remember it well. I was admitted in November 2015 and remember immediately thinking that I would quit in January 2016. I thought about it, talked to some friends, and snapped out of it. I worked until April 22nd, which was roughly one month before I started.

3.) On that note, you DO deserve some time off, but I think that at some point it ceases to do you good. For me, a month was the perfect amount of time, but that is a choice that only you can make. I would just urge you to be honest with yourself. Are you quitting your job because you really think it will improve your law school performance and material well-being or are you just wanting to get on with your life and viewing this job as an unimportant vestige of your old life? Think about all aspects of your life when you make the decision, and most importantly, ask yourself: What will I think of this decision in 5 years? Will it be worth the money that I borrowed to make it happen?

Good luck and congratulations!

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:38 pm

GFox345 wrote:OP, Congratulations on your T14 admits. You should be very proud of yourself. I know it feels like your life is about to change completely (and in many ways it is), but I would urge you to think twice about quitting your job early. I just completed 1L in December at Michigan, and I have a few things to point out that you might find useful.

1.) The mental stress of 1L is vastly overstated by people on this site and by the law community at large. During maybe the month before finals you will be completely swamped and stressed out, but you will have all the time between the start of the semester and then (roughly 3 months) to get your mind right, work out, and do whatever you want to do. The thing that surprised me most about law school was how much free time I had. I suspect that your experience will be similar.

2.) Law School costs A LOT, and you should be very, very mindful of this every step of the way. This is one of two things that posters on this site constantly harp on that improves people's lives dramatically (retaking the LSAT being the other one). Even if you are getting a full ride to a T14, why wouldn't you want to minimize your debt? Unless your employment is truly putting you under some dire mental stress, the money that you earn is absolutely worth the time. If you can manage to save any money (or even to move to Law School and buy books on your own funds instead of on borrowed money), that will be huge in the long run. The wait before law school is long. I remember it well. I was admitted in November 2015 and remember immediately thinking that I would quit in January 2016. I thought about it, talked to some friends, and snapped out of it. I worked until April 22nd, which was roughly one month before I started.

3.) On that note, you DO deserve some time off, but I think that at some point it ceases to do you good. For me, a month was the perfect amount of time, but that is a choice that only you can make. I would just urge you to be honest with yourself. Are you quitting your job because you really think it will improve your law school performance and material well-being or are you just wanting to get on with your life and viewing this job as an unimportant vestige of your old life? Think about all aspects of your life when you make the decision, and most importantly, ask yourself: What will I think of this decision in 5 years? Will it be worth the money that I borrowed to make it happen?

Good luck and congratulations!

I'm a 0L, but from speaking to current law students and professors, I'd +1 this.

Especially if you worked full time in undergrad, I have heard that until the month before finals, you might have more free time than you expect. I worked full time + took a full course load in undergrad, so I think I might actually have more free time in law school than I did in college, haha. And yes, I am trying to save as much money as possible to have some spending money during law school. COL is no joke.. I've seen people with a lot of debt even though they had full scholarships. :/

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:40 pm

floatie wrote:
sjs12 wrote:

+2, I'm planning on quitting around June or so, so that I can maximize $$ but have 2+ months to find housing, work out, etc.

Shooottt I was content on quitting in August and giving myself a couple of weeks vacation before classes start (I need all the $ I can get my hands get)....but you guys are giving me second thoughts haha

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:46 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote: Shooottt I was content on quitting in August and giving myself a couple of weeks vacation before classes start (I need all the $ I can get my hands get)....but you guys are giving me second thoughts haha

Do note that my decision is about 98% because I work for the federal government. If things were less of a shitshow right now, I would probably have stayed through the end of July/beginning of August.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:52 pm

floatie wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote: Shooottt I was content on quitting in August and giving myself a couple of weeks vacation before classes start (I need all the $ I can get my hands get)....but you guys are giving me second thoughts haha

Do note that my decision is about 98% because I work for the federal government. If things were less of a shitshow right now, I would probably have stayed through the end of July/beginning of August.

Hahah damn I also work for the federal government but I'm not in DC so I definitely don't feel the effects of the shitshow there.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:54 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
floatie wrote:

Hahah damn I also work for the federal government but I'm not in DC so I definitely don't feel the effects of the shitshow there.

You are very lucky.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�