Georgetown Alumni Interview?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MrSam

Bronze

Georgetown Alumni Interview?

Postby MrSam » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:54 pm

I've read a few forum posts regarding GULC's alumni interview. The one thing that most people don't mention is whether or not they got in...

Is GULC's alumni interview request a good sign? Or is it more of a formality?

Oh, and if the interviewer doesn't tell me what to wear, should I just dress the way I would to any other interview?

bearedman8

Bronze

Re: Georgetown Alumni Interview?

Postby bearedman8 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:01 am

I had my GULC alumni interview at the end of last month, and I'm > both 75ths. I don't think that there's a universal answer, but I'm fairly confident that my interview was mostly about YP. The only questions I was asked were why law/why Georgetown, with the rest of the interview just being a conversation about law/GULC. If your numbers are good, I'd recommend that you just come up with an actually researched answer to why Georgetown and you should be fine.

Dress like you would for any other interview.

MrSam

Bronze

Postby MrSam » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:48 am

bearedman8 wrote:I had my GULC alumni interview at the end of last month, and I'm > both 75ths. I don't think that there's a universal answer, but I'm fairly confident that my interview was mostly about YP. The only questions I was asked were why law/why Georgetown, with the rest of the interview just being a conversation about law/GULC. If your numbers are good, I'd recommend that you just come up with an actually researched answer to why Georgetown and you should be fine.

Thanks for the response. I thought the same thing, but I'm an ED applicant, so I'd assume that YP isn't an issue they'd have to worry about with me. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Postby pleasesendhelp » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:00 pm

I had my interview with an alum who had just graduated. The interview was good, but I don't think I expressed enough interest in the school as we mostly talked about why law and more personal topics as we went to rival high schools (graduated the same year) not why GULC. LSAT above 75th nonreportable GPA. I was put on hold.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:06 pm

MrSam wrote:
bearedman8 wrote:I had my GULC alumni interview at the end of last month, and I'm > both 75ths. I don't think that there's a universal answer, but I'm fairly confident that my interview was mostly about YP. The only questions I was asked were why law/why Georgetown, with the rest of the interview just being a conversation about law/GULC. If your numbers are good, I'd recommend that you just come up with an actually researched answer to why Georgetown and you should be fine.

Thanks for the response. I thought the same thing, but I'm an ED applicant, so I'd assume that YP isn't an issue they'd have to worry about with me. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Your situation is probably a bit different then. They're likely still somewhat on the fence about you and want all available info before making a decision. It's especially important for a person like you to nail this interview. A glowing alumni interview could tip the scales for you. Not saying it will, but it's even more important for this interview to go well for you.

MrSam

Bronze

Postby MrSam » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:57 am

UVA2B wrote:
MrSam wrote:

Your situation is probably a bit different then. They're likely still somewhat on the fence about you and want all available info before making a decision. It's especially important for a person like you to nail this interview. A glowing alumni interview could tip the scales for you. Not saying it will, but it's even more important for this interview to go well for you.

Thanks for that. I had my interview on Tuesday. I'm hoping it went well. Sent off a thank you email, and received a response from him shortly after. Something along the lines of, "GULC would be lucky to have you...you'll like it there...etc."
We spoke primarily about why GULC, what I do on my free time. I pretty much mentioned specific programs that I'm interested in, and a few reasons why GULC over the other top schools that I applied to. I'm pretty sure I made it abundantly clear that even if I hadn't applied ED, I would accept GULC's admission offer even if I were accepted to another top school.

MrSam

Bronze

Postby MrSam » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:00 am

pleasesendhelp wrote:I had my interview with an alum who had just graduated. The interview was good, but I don't think I expressed enough interest in the school as we mostly talked about why law and more personal topics as we went to rival high schools (graduated the same year) not why GULC. LSAT above 75th nonreportable GPA. I was put on hold.

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with the rest of your cycle!

I ended up getting in at a lot of my T30 schools, most with $$. It's nice to have a few schools to fall back on, but GULC is my top pick.

If you don't mind me asking, how long after your interview did you hear back?

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Postby pleasesendhelp » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:07 pm

MrSam wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:I had my interview with an alum who had just graduated. The interview was good, but I don't think I expressed enough interest in the school as we mostly talked about why law and more personal topics as we went to rival high schools (graduated the same year) not why GULC. LSAT above 75th nonreportable GPA. I was put on hold.

I ended up getting in at a lot of my T30 schools, most with $$. It's nice to have a few schools to fall back on, but GULC is my top pick.

It was about two and a half weeks when I got the email. I was pretty bummed at first, but at least it wasn't a straight ding lol. Good luck to you too :lol:

MrSam

Bronze

Postby MrSam » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:02 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
MrSam wrote:

It was about two and a half weeks when I got the email. I was pretty bummed at first, but at least it wasn't a straight ding lol. Good luck to you too :lol:

Jeez, I was hoping for a response within a few days, haha! Yeah, on the bright side you still have a shot at getting in, especially when you consider GULC's large class size (I can only assume that they tend to pull a fair number of applicants off of their WL). Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�