Rare Situation Advice Needed

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Options

Option 1
96%
Option 2
4%

Total votes: 23

SiberianHuskyDog

New

Rare Situation Advice Needed

Postby SiberianHuskyDog » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:38 am

Hey guys,

I'm in a rare situation which is why I think my question warranted its own post, I am looking for advice and help. I will try very hard to truncate and summarize.

I graduated from a pretty good college in 2014 at 22 years old. I didn't prepare well enough and I got a 153 on the lsat to go along with my 3.5 gpa. Definitely not good. I decided to take 2 years off to get work experience at a very small but successful firm. I started in IT and eventually was promoted where I am now, paralegal to a partner with 10 months working here so far.

By some miracle of god, it turns out that last month, we have agreed to let a large firm absorb us. They will increase my pay to $70,000 before overtime and I will remain an assistant to the partner. My small firm has told me before the merger they would retain me during and after law school, but who knows now. However, the field of law I work in is extremely specific, rare and in great demand.

At 25 years old already, the pressure to study properly, take the lsat and get into law school is enormous both internally and from family and friends.

My question is:

1. Do I take another cycle off, prepare for the June LSAT and work for the big firm until September 2018 where I will be 26 years old already?

Or

2. Take the February test Saturday (I expect a 160, I haven't been preparing because of work) and apply to schools with my porous 153 for September 2017 admission.

I am truly stuck here. Thank you very much.
Last edited by SiberianHuskyDog on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

mrtux45

Bronze

Re: Rare Situation Advice Needed

Postby mrtux45 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:44 am

1000000% option 1.

Good luck, congrats on the opportunity!

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Postby tofuspeedstar » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:45 am

Take the cycle off, study until you're practicing in the 170 range consistently, and then take it. Law school will always be there.

Best of luck.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:56 am

Option 1. No question.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:10 am

option 1 easily. make a poll.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:11 am

Option 1. 26 isn't old, you'll be making decent money and continuing to get experience in what might be a useful field for your ultimate job, and put yourself in a better position for admissions.

GFox345

Bronze

Postby GFox345 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:16 am

Rigo wrote:Option 1. No question.

26 is not old for Law School at all. Relax!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:37 am

Option #1.

Also this is without doubt one of the most common situations you see on this forum...

SiberianHuskyDog

New

Postby SiberianHuskyDog » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Thank you for all of your responses.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Option #1.

Also this is without doubt one of the most common situations you see on this forum...

I think purely asking to retake on a low score is extremely common, I just felt I had extra circumstances. As in, if I am already with a firm, would they care what law school I went to?

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:29 pm

SiberianHuskyDog wrote:Thank you for all of your responses.

I think purely asking to retake on a low score is extremely common, I just felt I had extra circumstances. As in, if I am already with a firm, would they care what law school I went to?

If you had a guaranteed job after graduation, that definitely changes the calculus, but you can't really seem to confidently say that. So unless you can get a firm offer in hand before going, it's an incredibly risky gamble.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:29 pm

It sounds like you had a vague offer from the firm prior to it being absorbed. As things currently stand, you definitely don't have a job offer. So yes, it will matter.

SiberianHuskyDog

New

Postby SiberianHuskyDog » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:40 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:

It sounds like you had a vague offer from the firm prior to it being absorbed. As things currently stand, you definitely don't have a job offer. So yes, it will matter.

Thats correct. I don't think it changes your answer, but just as a matter of additional background information:

We were absorbed by a firm in Chicago. However, we remain the same office in NYC that we had prior. Of course theres no guarantee, but should the word of 2 partners, an associate and staff in the same office I am in now and would want to work in after law school give me any confidence?

I apologize if it seems like I am asking for an answer you can not possibly give me, I just don't know anything about this kind of thing can play into anything.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:48 pm

SiberianHuskyDog wrote:Thats correct. I don't think it changes your answer, but just as a matter of additional background information:

We were absorbed by a firm in Chicago. However, we remain the same office in NYC that we had prior. Of course theres no guarantee, but should the word of 2 partners, an associate and staff in the same office I am in now and would want to work in after law school give me any confidence?

I apologize if it seems like I am asking for an answer you can not possibly give me, I just don't know anything about this kind of thing can play into anything.

It only matters if those partners still have some say in the hiring process. The wording of these offers also matters. If they're just saying "We'll have a place for you," that doesn't mean they're promising you a job as an attorney. Unless there is literally a firm offer of, "Go to law school, and I guarantee that when you graduate, we will hire you as an associate," I wouldn't rely on the offer. And even in that case, I may ask for it in writing (assuming you definitely want to come back to the firm).

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:54 pm

There's no telling what can happen in 4 years, so you should put yourself in a position where plan B (BigLaw at another firm) is feasible.

chicagoburger

Bronze

Postby chicagoburger » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:40 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
SiberianHuskyDog wrote:Thats correct. I don't think it changes your answer, but just as a matter of additional background information:

It only matters if those partners still have some say in the hiring process. The wording of these offers also matters. If they're just saying "We'll have a place for you," that doesn't mean they're promising you a job as an attorney. Unless there is literally a firm offer of, "Go to law school, and I guarantee that when you graduate, we will hire you as an associate," I wouldn't rely on the offer. And even in that case, I may ask for it in writing (assuming you definitely want to come back to the firm).

In the legal drama series "Suits", one of the partners ate his words by refusing to pay for the assistant's law school tuition because there was no written agreement. I don't remember what the assistant did to make him change his mind. But she was pretty hot.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:43 pm

chicagoburger wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

In the legal drama series "Suits", one of the partners ate his words by refusing to pay for the assistant's law school tuition because there was no written agreement. I don't remember what the assistant did to make him change his mind. But she was pretty hot.

This shtick is annoying. Don't do that.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:03 pm

Option 1, not even close. At $70k, you should be able to stick away some decent money in two years if you are frugal (I realize that it is NYC COL). Along with a full-ride to a school, you may be able to get through LS with very minimal, or no, debt.

Of course, I've personally heard from some people where large firms pay for them to attend law school (talking about top students here), with the condition that they sign a contract stating that they will join the firm upon graduation. Maybe that's a possibility with this firm?? Who knows

SiberianHuskyDog

New

Postby SiberianHuskyDog » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Thank you guys so much.

Further to this, if I can stomach it, would a part-time program be beneficial to my career? At least in keeping my presence with my current firm?

Gabriel_is_Satan

Bronze

Postby Gabriel_is_Satan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:05 pm

A little late to the party, but yeah, option 1.

I would recommend working your ass of for the LSAT, You seems to have a great file, you could potentially aim for the lower end of the T14 (UGPA not that great). Clearly doable imho, but you'd need a really good LSAT (170 would be ideal). Also: keep in touch with at least one UG prof, for a LOR!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�