Not going to Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
onlyhere4fun

New

Not going to Law School

Postby onlyhere4fun » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:58 pm

Last edited by onlyhere4fun on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Not going to Law School

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:20 pm

If you have a 3.83 in multiple sciences, you should use those degrees to get a job that won't result in 3 years of wasted time (law school) and potentially a soul sucking career, or a career that makes it difficult to service your debt.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:22 pm

lymenheimer wrote:If you have a 3.83 in multiple sciences, you should use that degree to get a job that won't result in 3 years of wasted time (law school) and potentially a soul sucking career, or a career that makes it difficult to service your debt.

I'm assuming you're trolling, but pretty sure he means political science - not poly=multiple sciences. In the case of political science, OP doesn't really have a ton of excellent options available (I would assume since average GPA and non-Ivy). If it really is multiple hard sciences, then I agree. Don't go to LS.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:26 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:If you have a 3.83 in multiple sciences, you should use that degree to get a job that won't result in 3 years of wasted time (law school) and potentially a soul sucking career, or a career that makes it difficult to service your debt.

I'm assuming you're trolling, but pretty sure he means political science - not poly=multiple sciences. In the case of political science, OP doesn't really have a ton of excellent options available (I would assume since average GPA and non-Ivy). If it really is multiple hard sciences, then I agree. Don't go to LS.

except for the fact that he said "poly sci". Of corse he means "poli sci". But the egregious error makes me think he's better off as a paralegal anyways.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:27 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:

except for the fact that he said "poly sci". Of corse he means "poli sci". But the egregious error makes me think he's better off as a paralegal anyways.

I bet you're a blast to hang out with

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:35 pm

Don't go unless you seriously improve your LSAT.
Also, it seems like you aren't married to a legal career because you actually enjoy it and want to be a lawyer. It seems like the LSAT and law school has just become such a part of your identity that it's hard to give it up.

I wouldn't recommend just going for a MPP for the hell of it. Apply for jobs in government if that's something you want to explore more.

It honestly sounds like you're in a decent position as a young 20-something. If you're not happy, change careers. Law school at this point is more likely to be the worst decision you ever made than the best.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:37 pm

If you're debt averse, you're correct in your assessment that an LSAT in the low to mid 150s isn't going to get you anything (if you even get accepted) at law schools that are worth going to. If you decide to go for that 4th LSAT take, though, you need to very seriously consider how you're preparing for the LSAT. The fact that you took the LSAT 3 times with minimal changes to your score suggests that 1) you're not studying the right way and might need extra help/tutoring or 2) that mid-150s is where you're going to max out, in which case you should seriously re-evaluate whether law school is for you. If you haven't already, check out the LSAT thread for better ways to study.

If you ultimately decide that law school isn't for you, don't see that as quitting - see that as making a strategic personal move that is better in line with your goals and with the reality of the risks of law school. Your family and friends might have their thoughts and opinions, but they won't be the ones saddled with $100k+ in debt while navigating an uncertain legal market.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:42 pm

Going to law school because you're afraid of what other people might think is an almost certain path to unhappiness.

onlyhere4fun

New

Postby onlyhere4fun » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:45 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:

Edited Troll. :roll:

onlyhere4fun

New

Postby onlyhere4fun » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:47 pm

Last edited by onlyhere4fun on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onlyhere4fun

New

Postby onlyhere4fun » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Last edited by onlyhere4fun on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:17 pm

Lots of words in this thread but law schools will still be there five years down the road. Only way to close dooors in the legal field is by going to a school that doesn't maximize your chances of getting the outcome you want. If you eventually do go to law school you'll come to divide your life into pre-law and post lawschool and

[+] Spoiler
the post law school period won't be the one you look back fondly on

So take your time and make sure you put yourself in the best position possible when/if you make that leap.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?