Fall Admissions with Feb and June LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
carey34

New

Fall Admissions with Feb and June LSAT

Postby carey34 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:39 pm

I am all set to take the February LSAT and submit my applications for Fall admission. However, I am left with a few questions. If my Feb LSAT score is not satisfactory I will retake it in June. But should I submit my applications with my Feb score and update them in June? What if I get rejected/accepted before then? Can I reapply for the same semester? Should I wait until June to submit my applications if my Feb score isn't good enough? I notice the schools I am looking at accept the June LSAT for Fall admission assuming they have seats left. Not sure if they usually have seats left though.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

bmathers

Silver

Re: Fall Admissions with Feb and June LSAT

Postby bmathers » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:13 am

I was in your shoes last cycle. I bmbed my Feb LSAT, but had already submitted over 10 apps. I retook in June and went up 5 points.

It depends on the schools - what schools are you looking at? It was ok for schools I was WWL'd at. For accepted schools, they reconsidered scholly money once emailing them, but for rejected schools they would not open my app back up. One school even rejected me from the first LSAT, now I waited a cycle and they gave me a full-ride based on the second LSAT that they wouldn't look at before.

carey34

New

Postby carey34 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:22 am

I am really only looking at Buffalo and Albany. Both offer either in state or discounted tuition for attending a SUNY school so I'm not worried about scholarships, although it'd be nice. I just want my best chance at admission for the Fall.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:29 am

Your best chance at admission anywhere will mean waiting another cycle. A lot of schools don't accept February scores at all, and the June test can only be used for scholarship negotiation, if it can be used for that. I have never heard of someone getting a late acceptance from a June LSAT (with the possible exception of people coming off the waitlist very late in the game).

That said, you really shouldn't be considering either of these schools with anything less than a full scholarship, and even then, they're not great choices if you want to be a practicing lawyer after graduating. The fact that these schools are your only options combined with your extremely late application makes me think that you need to slow your roll and spend some time really researching the process and the legal profession. You can't rush this decision.

carey34

New

Postby carey34 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:26 am

I appreciate your advice. I can tell you for certain an immediate family member was accepted to law school with a full scholarship after applying late with only the June LSAT. It is possible, just not sure how likely.

Additionally, this is not a rushed decision. I have chosen these two schools for personal reasons. Obviously the higher I can score on the LSAT the greater my chances. I just want to make sure I'm not selling myself short with the time that I have left to apply.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:31 am

carey34 wrote:I appreciate your advice. I can tell you for certain an immediate family member was accepted to law school with a full scholarship after applying late with only the June LSAT. It is possible, just not sure how likely.

Additionally, this is not a rushed decision. I have chosen these two schools for personal reasons. Obviously the higher I can score on the LSAT the greater my chances. I just want to make sure I'm not selling myself short with the time that I have left to apply.

You do you. But unless your personal reasons involve already having a job lined up or really enjoying debt, your entire "plan" sounds absolutely insane.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:24 am

carey34 wrote:I appreciate your advice. I can tell you for certain an immediate family member was accepted to law school with a full scholarship after applying late with only the June LSAT. It is possible, just not sure how likely.

Well either it's a rushed decision or you make very questionable decisions...waiting until after the Feb test to even submit one application is very late in the game - so either it's rushed, or a bad decision (or both).

As already stated, you really should sit a year and think about what you want. I can't see any good 'personal' reasons to attend bad schools (unless at the very minimum you're getting a full ride, and even then it could still be a terrible decision).

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:11 pm

To answer your question, I am sure that neither Buffalo or Albany will mind a competitive application in February.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:02 pm

carey34 wrote:I am really only looking at Buffalo and Albany. Both offer either in state or discounted tuition for attending a SUNY school so I'm not worried about scholarships, although it'd be nice. I just want my best chance at admission for the Fall.

You should not go to these schools without a full ride, if at all. And it's not that hard to beat their low LSAT 75th percentiles with proper study to get the full rides.

I also hope you have realistic expectations regarding employment out of these schools. Very small firms or government--and that's if you're lucky enough to get a job.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�